Long time lurker here. It's been ages since I've posted here, so I figured that I might as well come back with a bang. First NGD thread ever, so here it goes! Oh, and pardon the awful iPhone pictures....

August was a good month to me. The first purchase: a 1989 Ibanez RG560 in Grape Ice.

It's in great shape, and plays incredibly well. The Edge trem is just as rock solid as on my RG550 and 570, and for a guitar that's 25 years old, the frets have a surprisingly low amount of wear on them. The stock pickups are meh, so I put a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and plan on putting an Air Norton S in the neck, but I'm not sure what to put in the middle yet. Overall, I'd say it's a keeper.

Next up, a Fulltone OCD and a Wampler Ego Compressor!

The Wampler is an amazingly transparent compressor, and the attack and blend knobs work wonders to make the compressed signal feel as natural as possible. It stays on all the time; it's one of those things that you don't really notice when it's on, but you definitely miss it when it's off.

As for the OCD, it's just a great overdrive. I get some great low-mid gain sounds from it, and it has a lovely character on its own. Plus the mid shift switch changes the character quite a bit. I haven't found a setting yet that I don't like.

Round three: my first head and cab setup....

A Splawn Quick Rod and an Avatar Contemporary 2x12 with Celestion Creamback H-75's! All I can say is "wow" when I turn this beast on. The Splawn cranks out all of the rich, 70's and 80's goodness that I love, with a wonderful amount of gain on tap. All of the Gear and OD1/2 combinations sound great. I can go from some nice, Plexi-style Thin Lizzy crunch all the way up to ridiculous amounts of saturated, hot-rodded JCM800 levels of gain. Plus the clean channel isn't too bad, especially with the Ego Compressor on all of the time, as the tone knob can add just enough sparkle to make it pleasant. As for the Avatar, it's a fine piece of work. It feels sturdy, the H-75's sound great with the Quick Rod, and I love the nice low-end that it has. Overall, I think it's a pretty solid first head and cab setup.

Bonus pics of my mostly complete rig:

An American Standard strat, the RG560, an RG550 (black) and an RG570 (grey).

Plus the pedalboard in its current state:

The wiring needs cleaned up and I need to re-velcro some pedals (and buy a legit pedalboard), but I won't be gigging any time soon with classes and work anywho.

tl;dr iphone pics of gear.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
Sweet! Still need to get my hands on a QR! Nice haul!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sweet! Still need to get my hands on a QR! Nice haul!

Thanks, man. It was a good month!

I'd highly recommend the QR, but to be fair, I don't have too much experience with amps, just word of mouth. Most local shops around my area don't have much better than your typical SS practice amps. The Guitar Centers here are pretty "meh" when it comes to amps too. Regardless, totally happy with my purchases!
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
The Splawn

If you have some spare time I'd love to hear one or two clips!

Sounds like a good month!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Taz9
The Splawn

If you have some spare time I'd love to hear one or two clips!

I'll try my best to get some good ones tomorrow!
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
those patch cables look sweet

hngd

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Gimme Splawn pls

PS Happy New Gear Haul
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.

Welcome to the Quick Rod club

Looks almost like my first Splawn set up (before new headshell and cab). Mine looked exactly like yours with the plexi shell. Exactly. And I had an Avatar 212. What kind of tubes does it have. It looks new. Is it new?

Now bump the The Only Splawn thread and get your stuff in there. Also, maybe you'll be able to give us some better clips than what I've slopped together :hah

:cheers
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 30, 2014,
That Splawn. Too bad they're $$$ over here.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Welcome to the Quick Rod club

Looks almost like my first Splawn set up (before new headshell and cab). Mine looked exactly like yours with the plexi shell. Exactly. And I had an Avatar 212. What kind of tubes does it have. It looks new. Is it new?

Now bump the The Only Splawn thread and get your stuff in there. Also, maybe you'll be able to give us some better clips than what I've slopped together

Thanks for the club entry
I got it from a Splawn dealer (I think it was The Amp House) because I'm impatient and didn't want to wait 4-8 weeks for basically the same style but with blue tolex. But it's "new" in the sense that it sat around the shop for a while. I think it's a 2013. As for the tubes, I'm not exactly sure, it looks like Splawn is rebranding the tubes they toss in there now. Whatever they are, they sound great!

Quote by chrismendiola
I have never heard of Splawn or Avatar, but they look great.

Splawn is a company based out of Dallas, North Carolina. They make stuff based off of Marshalls, but with a nice and unique sort of hot-rod character. You can style hear the amp it's based on, but it's also got its own character added to it. They're kind of like the Carvin of amps, in way, because they're not a true custom shop, but they give you tons of ways to customize your amp. Avatar is the same way, but with cabs. Both are really nice quality, but Avatar is super affordable compared to most custom cab companies.

And now, the clips. There's no EQ, no reverb, just guitar->amp->SM57->Mbox Mini. Excuse the slop, and a lot of the noise is from interference since I was facing my computer as I recorded.

https://soundcloud.com/mailbox2112/splawn-clip-2
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat