Short and sweet, moved back to college. Brought an ST-2 I got for my birthday years ago, but forgot the power cord for my POD. I'm curious if, since the ST-2 is a pedal designed purely to emulate Marshall amps, instead of using crappy free VST programs, I can run the ST-2 straight in and use it as a preamp?

I'd try it and see, but it's 2 AM, so testing is not an option.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 30, 2014,
You can try. Back in the days before cheap practice amps people used to plug distortion pedals right into the mic input of a home stereo. You’ll probably get a better sound with a free VST—there are some really good ones out there. Free VSTs aren’t necessarily bad, especially on Windows. They’re often created by skilled hobbyists who just don’t have the time or inclination to make a business out of it.
Quote by necrosis1193
instead of using crappy free VST programs, I can run the ST-2 straight in and use it as a preamp?
There are free vst's better than your pedal if ya ask me.
LePou's LeBrit for example.

Anyway, plug it straight into what?
'cause it may work depending on what you plug it into, but the chain will lack a cab with guitar speakers, and a distorted guitar not passed through guitar speakers sounds pretty bad.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
After experimenting today, I would like to confirm that the answer is a very clear "no" On the bright side though, it does get a much nicer dirty sound than running straight into the VST and using its distortion.

Quote by jpnyc
You can try. Back in the days before cheap practice amps people used to plug distortion pedals right into the mic input of a home stereo.

there was a day before cheap practice amps?

i had done this before when i was a young player, but i don't think your history is quite accurate. afaik the first distortion pedal devices came on the scene about the mid 60's, well after cheap practice amps. i am pretty sure you could get a silvertone amp for about as cheap as a maestro fuzz pedal back then.

bottomline: yes, you can generally use distortion/boost/OD/fuzz pedals as preamps
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 31, 2014,
Quote by Dimarzio45
AMT makes some pretty awesome preamp pedals. They're worth checkin' out, Nec.

I am very fond of what I see.

Only thing is figuring out, if I buy one, whether I buy an O2 or a V1. I love the sound of a distorted Orange, and especially since it includes a nice clean Fender sound, I love it, but I love the sound of an AC-30 clean, and the ST-2 is a surprisingly realistic "stack in a box", so I'd be fine with just the cleans from the V1...