Does anyone know a reasonably-priced US shipping service that would ship a guitar to Europe? I tried USPS online price calculator and the price turned out around 640 USD, but they only offered me one service - this is weird as most of the times you get to choose between a more and less expensive service.
A guitar?
FedEx.

And put it in a hard case, or a lot of styrofoam balls.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
One thing to note when shipping guitars from country to country is make sure there are no laws preventing certain woods from leaving or entering the 2 countries. It doesn't happen a lot, but they can confiscate the guitar if the woods are now banned for some reason.

FedEx
UPS
DHL
all ship internationally, the USPS is really expensive
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 30, 2014,
What's up with DHL's "Get Rate and Time Quote"? I enter all the info and it gives me the list of services, no prices, although it says at the bottom of the page: "Prices quoted are estimates based on the information you have supplied and are based on the Cash Account Rate in the Origin Country. Prices quoted may not include duties, taxes, customs charges or all surcharges and fees."

How the hell do I find the price?

Last edited by andriusd at Aug 30, 2014,
I don't know, when I ship anything (which is not often), I take it to their physical location and mail it.

Maybe shoot them an email describing your issue, I'm sure they would respond.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
USPS is the ONLY way to ship international, unless your buyer wants to pay out the ass in shipping charges and customs and brokerage fees.

The price you quoted was because your dimensions entered were too large and the only option at that size is the expensive Global Express Guaranteed.

What country are you shipping to? Look up the country's shipping restriction sizes on the USPS website and make sure you're under those sizes. You should be able to ship a guitar internationally via Priority or Express for like $150.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
USPS is the ONLY way to ship international, unless your buyer wants to pay out the ass in shipping charges and customs and brokerage fees.
I've never found myself in a situation in which USPS would have cost me less money than FedEx (when talking big packages), and couriers' fees aren't there only for the shipping - they take care of the bureaucratic stuff (and your package) so you get what you ordered in a good condition and in relatively little time, without having it stuck at the customs.

Also a shipment of a heavy guitar + optionals from china cost me around $130 with FedEx...

Well, that + taxes, but it's not like the guys at the customs would let such a package pass through without looking even a bit into it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I was going to ship a Gibson Explorer from the USA to Australia a few years ago,
It was going to cost about $150 via USPS.
Then the bastards changed the size restrictions, and the Explorer was like 2 inches to long and had to go up to the next sized package, and the price went up to around $450.
I'm still pissed about that.
Quote by Robbgnarly
FedEx
UPS
DHL
all ship internationally, the USPS is really expensive

Do not ship anything breakable to Europe with UPS. They destroy stuff.
Quote by Spambot_2
I've never found myself in a situation in which USPS would have cost me less money than FedEx (when talking big packages), and couriers' fees aren't there only for the shipping - they take care of the bureaucratic stuff (and your package) so you get what you ordered in a good condition and in relatively little time, without having it stuck at the customs.

Also a shipment of a heavy guitar + optionals from china cost me around $130 with FedEx...

Well, that + taxes, but it's not like the guys at the customs would let such a package pass through without looking even a bit into it.

I used to ship guitars and amps to Russia and other parts of Europe 3+ times a week. FedEx is far more expensive. The only way they would've been able to be anywhere close to competitive is if the person shipping had a business account that gave them gigantic discounts, or they were already factoring the cost of shipping international into the original price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you do this, make sure you know EXACTLY how much the import taxes are going to be.

Most of the time, it's cheaper to just buy what you want locally. Importing from the US may appear cheaper on the surface, but more often than not you get stung with the taxes at point of delivery, not at point of order.

Unless what you want simply isn't available in Europe, importing usually isn't worth it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
If you do this, make sure you know EXACTLY how much the import taxes are going to be.

Most of the time, it's cheaper to just buy what you want locally. Importing from the US may appear cheaper on the surface, but more often than not you get stung with the taxes at point of delivery, not at point of order.

Unless what you want simply isn't available in Europe, importing usually isn't worth it.

Yeah, I know about the taxes and I've made my calculations, and now it's only up to the shipping expenses.
Last edited by andriusd at Aug 31, 2014,
Does anyone have an idea how much ESP M-II with its case can weight and the exact dimensions of the case?
Quote by MatrixClaw

The price you quoted was because your dimensions entered were too large and the only option at that size is the expensive Global Express Guaranteed.

What country are you shipping to? Look up the country's shipping restriction sizes on the USPS website and make sure you're under those sizes. You should be able to ship a guitar internationally via Priority or Express for like $150.

all of this.

i've shipped guitars to europe for $120 via USPS.

with bolt on neck guitars, just take the neck off and put it all in a much smaller box. we do it inbound from japan all the time. saves a lot of coin and i'm yet to have a guitar with a problem from that.

then again, if you don't know how to put a guitar back together that may not be the way to go for you.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 31, 2014,