Hey guys,

Last week i got to test an ESP Horizon HRF NT-II in RDB (https://www.session.de/ESP-Horizon-HRF-NT-II-RDB.html?listtype=search&searchparam=horizon%20nt). I actually loved this guitar, especially I'm in love with the looks of an ebony fretboard. And as I'm thinking of buying a new guitar i need an advice. Well and i guess i don't have to mention that the neck of a Horizon is simply awesome.

I just researched a bit and found out that there are some really decent guitars on the market. One of the eyecatchers was an PRS Torero SE. (sth. like this http://www.muziker.de/gitarren/e-gitarren/prs/p/204865-prs-SE-TORERO-Gray-Black)

I don't know why I even think about it, 'cause i know how good these ESP original guitars are. But maybe someone could give me an advice about this. I'm pretty confused now. Hope you can help me.

Thank you guys
Id say the PRS SE you have in mind might be a bit of a step down quality wise. (that said ive not played one because of the floyd and actives) My SE CU24 is a pretty great guitar for the price i payed, and i love my 400NT.

Id probs save that bit extra and grab a used USA PRS.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Yeah a real ESP is a much better guitar than the PRS SE models. If your talking LTD and PRS SE then it is pretty equal.

And IMO a real PRS owns ESP
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well i see the original PRS are awesome, but i dont know if they're just on spot for me. Want something for metalstuff and the usual PRS seem to be very versatile but maybe not just the right thing.
Aswell i dunno why but this time i would like to buy a factory new one.
Quote by tr66
Well i see the original PRS are awesome, but i dont know if they're just on spot for me. Want something for metalstuff and the usual PRS seem to be very versatile but maybe not just the right thing.
Aswell i dunno why but this time i would like to buy a factory new one.

They work just fine for heavy stuff, I've used one for over 10 years

But yes the PRS SE line is nice and it is deff geared more for metal/shredding.

But even though I love PRS, I'd take the ESP Horizon over the Torero any day
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have to thank you for your advice =). Maybe i'll just sit down and look for a used one around my hometown. If i can't manage to find one i might go for the ESP.

I'm still open to other advices. Thanks guys.
Well after thinking about the specs, that my new guitar should have, I'm really close to say i don't really need a trem. So i researched again.

I found another guitar which is a bit more affordable. The LTD AJ-1 Signature. I know those LTD might not be the same building quality, but i thought i would better answer the community again about their opinion.
Should i stick with the ESP Horizon or get the AJ-1 and save some money?
Unless that LTD offers you something that is not available on another version, get a LTD H-1000NT. The LTD AJ-1 is just a sig H series with a bigger price tag.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well i compared the ESP Horizon to the LTD in a shop last week and i have to say the ESP is simply a better instrument. Thought the AJ-Signature might have nothing to do with those H1001's since the price tag is so much higher.
Quote by tr66
Well i compared the ESP Horizon to the LTD in a shop last week and i have to say the ESP is simply a better instrument. Thought the AJ-Signature might have nothing to do with those H1001's since the price tag is so much higher.

Well of course the ESP is gonna be the better guitar.

And trust me unless there is a specific option the AJ-1 has it will be equal to the H-1000 series at best. It's your money so it is ultimately your choice and you need to be happy with your purchase, but I'm just trying to help you save some money
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Wouldn't the LTD Horizon III Elite be a good compromise of both? The LTD and the ESP pros put in one guitar ^^

BTW.: I appreciate all of your arguments and I'm trying to find a compromise. Since I'm not the "PRO"-Guitarist, I think i should leave me some space on the top range for times i might be a better guitarist.
On the other hand i bought some "cheaper"/mid-range guitars in the last years and I'm not really happy with them at the moment. I don't want to do this mistake again. But i see the MH-1000's or H1000's seem to be pretty decent guitars. So maybe the Elite version is another upgrade from these? Or is the difference not that big?
Last edited by tr66 at Aug 31, 2014,
From my understanding the LTD Elite series was created to replace the ESP standard line a year or so ago. So they should be on par with a regular ESP. From my understanding the LTD Elite line did not sell very well (only because of the name change) so they scrapped them at least here in the USA they are not available anymore
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok. Maybe i should just give the LTD 1000'series another chance since they're so much more affordable. You pretty much opened my eyes. Could save that money or get sth. else for that 1000 bucks difference instead.

Btw in germany there are still some elites available especially the Horizon IIIs.
Last edited by tr66 at Aug 31, 2014,
I own and have owned some very good guitars from PRS, Gibson, Fender, G&L and I would buy a LTD-1000 series. They are very nice guitars for their prices. I've wanted a H/MH-1000 for a while, but I can really justify another guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
In all honesty... Get the E-II. There's a HUGE difference between the LTD 1000 series and the E-II line.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm actually confused right now ^^. But atm. i would say i go with the E-II or and older ESP so i can be sure that I'm not gonna sell it after 2 years or so again.
A used PRS CE can be had under $1000. Which is good for those who prefer bolt on necks.
^ he is in Europe, PRS CE's are pretty expensive
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Go with the ESP. The PRS is a cool guitar, but at the same price, the ESP is at a different level.

TBH, I've only owned ONE American-made PRS I'd take over my ESP Eclipse. They look pretty but you're paying for the name more than the quality or sound
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com