I'm just about to swap out one of my gear for a battered and bruised Fender Tom Delonge Signature Strat and the other day I spotted a post detailing what lies behind the pickguard and wanted to know if what I saw is what I will find, it seemed to look like the pickguard only hides a small rectangular channel for the single pickup and single volume control, can anyone confirm this and if this is the case how hard will it be to rout space for more pickups?
If you have to ask it may be too hard. You'd have to know where to put the pickups and simply adding more without even using them will change the sound because more magnets will effect the way that the strings ring. You have to get the pickups in a good spot where they don't effect it too much and aren't too close together or you could get too much squeal . Maybe get an hss or hh pick guard as a template to route and it should be a lot easier.
The Tom Delonge Strat has only a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge position and one volume, from what I remember. If the guitar was built for only this hardware, I wouldn't imagine that they'd route out space for more hardware if it weren't intended to be uses, especially on a specific artist model. Honestly, I don't think it would be worth getting a guitar like that just to completely change it, unless you were looking for a guitar to make a project out of. You'd have to remove the pickguard, buy a new one, route space for 1 or 2 more pups as well as a tone knob (if you want), buy a new pup and wire it to the new pickguard. If I were you, I'd just get a different guitar. But that's just me.
Gear:
2005 American Deluxe Strat
Schecter Damien Elite
Peavey 6505+ combo
Quote by 4Phyt
I'm just about to swap out one of my gear for a battered and bruised Fender Tom Delonge Signature Strat and the other day I spotted a post detailing what lies behind the pickguard and wanted to know if what I saw is what I will find, it seemed to look like the pickguard only hides a small rectangular channel for the single pickup and single volume control, can anyone confirm this and if this is the case how hard will it be to rout space for more pickups?

It depends on the year. Mine (a Squier model) is routed for several pick-up combinations. The later models (which were all MiM I believe) are routed the same way, earlier Fender ones aren't.

Also, if your planning on modifying, I would recommend selling the guitar and then buying a different one. Tom Delonge models are very popular right now, and an average condition Fender model can go from $500-800.
Last edited by jacobtheimpaler at Sep 4, 2014,
I have to agree with fromzero, if you have to ask it's probably too hard.

Routing it can be done, adding hardware and electronics can be done, if you know how you can do almost anything if you intend for it to be a project guitar in the first place. With a little know how...

If you want to route it out for more pickup space, be aware that as mentioned you'll need a different pickguard, or modify the original (tougher material than it may seem, router or dremel will work though, if you're careful) pickup switch, volume and tone pots, wiring plan, and put masking tape on the guitar body so you won't scratch the guitar all to hell. (I forgot and did it once...bad idea...) You'll also need to know a little about soldering.

I like fromzero's idea of a factory pickguard as a template too. Mark it on the back side with a fine tip marker and work from there.

If you've never used a router, definitely practice on some scrap wood first. It can get away from you really easy. I've used them for several years as a carpenter, first time was definitely an eye opener...

If it were me, I'd leave it alone and use a cheap guitar as a project guitar. Especially if you'll be learning on it...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...