Yes
10 48%
No
6 29%
(legal and legit) Torrents are lame
5 24%
Voters: 21.
Disclaimer: to download legal and legit stuff only

Ya know pit, I download torrents and I seed torrents, and as now my entire downloaded/shared ratio is higher than 1.

Thing is, to do so I usually upload stuff at the max speed my internet connection is capable of, and that makes the whole home network pretty slow.

My father doesn't have a job and he spends the vast majority of his time on the internet, and he got pissed at me because I make everything slow by uploading stuff to people.

So, what does the pit think, should I politely tell my father not to complain because it's a moral duty to upload stuff after I download it because other people have sacrificed their bandwidth for me/us (he also uses what I download sometimes and asks me to download stuff for him sometimes), or should I put a speed limit on my torrent program, probably effectively bringing my share ratio down by a consistent amount?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
just leave you computer to seed throughout the night
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Set a limit very slightly lower than your maximum speeds (~95%). It will barely make a difference to your ratio and not maxing out your connection will make a great difference to anything that's not streaming hd videos (dl) and pretty much everything (ul).
Quote by Spambot_2

Ya know pit, I download torrents and I seed torrents, and as now my entire downloaded/shared ratio is higher than 1.

Thing is, to do so I usually upload stuff at the max speed my internet connection is capable of, and that makes the whole home network pretty slow.

My father doesn't have a job and he spends the vast majority of his time on the internet, and he got pissed at me because I make everything slow by uploading stuff to people.

So, what does the pit think, should I politely tell my father not to complain because it's a moral duty to upload stuff after I download it because other people have sacrificed their bandwidth for me/us (he also uses what I download sometimes and asks me to download stuff for him sometimes), or should I put a speed limit on my torrent program, probably effectively bringing my share ratio down by a consistent amount?

Put a limit on it.

Unless you're paying for the internet (I'm guessing you don't) then do what your Dad says since he's paying for it.
If you want to be a good Samaritan and sacrifice your internet speed for random people you don't know and that don't care about you, move out and start paying for your own internet.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
So you're getting in trouble for giving free products at a slightly higher speed to people you don't even know? I bet they'll be happy that they get the files at all, plus there are other seeders contributing as well, and you slowing down your upload speed isn't likely to impact there's much. Or you know, you could just be a selfish leech like the rest of us and not get in trouble with your family.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
my 'ratio' is in the thousands based on total downloaded and total uploaded. i cap it at like a gig a day or something idr
i don't know why i feel so dry
am i the onl one who doesnt understand why someone would upload anything? you dont get anything from it, no benefits, and it slows your computer down...i mean what am I missing here
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
am i the onl one who doesnt understand why someone would upload anything? you dont get anything from it, no benefits, and it slows your computer down...i mean what am I missing here

Honor among thieves.
Quote by Cb4rabid

Because if everybody thought like you, there would be no torrents, and the whole community wouldn't exist for you to get confused about.
Last edited by herby190 at Aug 30, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2

I'm so sure.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I'm so sure.

HAHAHA THAT'S THE JOKE IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE HE PROBABLY IS DOWNLOADING ILLEGAL STUFF WHY ELSE WOULD HE BE TORRENTING HAHA
Quote by herby190
HAHAHA THAT'S THE JOKE IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE HE PROBABLY IS DOWNLOADING ILLEGAL STUFF WHY ELSE WOULD HE BE TORRENTING HAHA

Boy, you sure are a jackass.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by herby190
Because if everybody thought like you, there would be no torrents, and the whole community wouldn't exist for you to get confused about.

i never seed or upload and still get free shit niggas be doing all the work
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid

Torrenting wouldn't be possible without people willing to do it. I guess some people just feel like by seeding it, they are repaying the kindness of the original uploader for uploading it in the first place.

I don't seed things though. I'm a selfish mo' fo' with no morals. #yolo
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
Set a limit very slightly lower than your maximum speeds (~95%). It will barely make a difference to your ratio and not maxing out your connection will make a great difference to anything that's not streaming hd videos (dl) and pretty much everything (ul).

yeah this.

I cap at like 1mb below my available download speed so everyone else can use it, even though I do pay for the internet and can tell them to piss off. I use a seedbox for my upload though.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Jackintehbox
Honor among thieves.

yes.
i don't know why i feel so dry
speeding is dangerous, people can get hurt, especially if you're drinking
superman is killing himself tonight
Didn't think people still used torrents
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by steve_muse
Didn't think people still used torrents

What am I supposed to be doing now?
I just thought after the whole clampdown thing people couldn't be bothered anymore and just used spotify or whatever instead.

andlegallyboughtstuff
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I always seed to at least the ratio of 1, except if there are 100 other seeders and 1-2 leeches and it would take years to get to that ratio anyway.

OT: you should definitely put a speed limit on it, especially if you're not paying for the internet. As stated earlier already, limiting it to 80% or 90% isn't that much of a difference to you, but a great one to other users in the same network that mostly solely browse the web.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by Baby Joel
speeding is dangerous, people can get hurt, especially if you're drinking

i'm going 50 right now drunk and on drugs