So whenever I took a Spanish class in highschool the teacher highly stressed that it was important that we learn how to speak the language with the correct accent so that we can communicate well. Of course that makes sense. However, the teachers also went on to say that it was just rude to go to another country and speak their language but not necessarily speak it with the correct pronunciation or accent.

However, when someone from out of the USA comes with a thick French accent or something and I can barely understand them, I don't think it's rude of them to not be able to speak perfect English and instead give them props on learning the language.

So is this a double standard or was my teacher just lying to me and people don't really care that you can't speak the language but rather that you give an attempt to do so?
Well ideally you should attempt to emulate the most standard version of the accent of the language you're learning. But that doesn't come easily to most people, especially when learning languages from a different language family
cat
Quote by Ashaal
So whenever I took a Spanish class in highschool the teacher highly stressed that it was important that we learn how to speak the language with the correct accent so that we can communicate well. Of course that makes sense. However, the teachers also went on to say that it was just rude to go to another country and speak their language but not necessarily speak it with the correct pronunciation or accent.

However, when someone from out of the USA comes with a thick French accent or something and I can barely understand them, I don't think it's rude of them to not be able to speak perfect English and instead give them props on learning the language.

So is this a double standard or was my teacher just lying to me and people don't really care that you can't speak the language but rather that you give an attempt to do so?

I can see where the teacher is coming from, but I don't think it's rude. Not at all. People can't help their accent.

If you go to Spain after learning Spanish in a different country, the Spaniards will appreciate it, regardless if you learned Mexican Spanish, Latin Spanish or pseudo-Spanish.

EDIT: The only exception is, of course, the Irish accent. If you're Irish and speak with that accent when you're abroad you'll spread STDs, and that's certainly rude.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Aug 30, 2014,
Also I think I have 7 different accents for English anyway (no they are not fake) so the "correctness" of an accent is quite contextual.
cat
If you can make yourself understood in their langauge, most people would appreciate that, unless they are French and/or pseudo-intellectual anglophiles.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by guitarxo
Also I think I have 7 different accents for English anyway (no they are not fake) so the "correctness" of an accent is quite contextual.

same here go us

But yeah, it doesn't really matter. It'll make it a bit easier for them to understand if your accent is super thick, but it's really not a big deal.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
As long as you can speak the language, who gives a shit if you have an accent.

It's like you don't realize that accents are also a part of the language and can be just as helpful/unhelpful as the vocabulary and grammar.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
As long as you can speak the language, who gives a shit if you have an accent.

There's more to being understood than vocabulary and syntax. I speak three languages and I use whatever variant of each helps me be understood. I might offend a Dominican if I speak Mexican Spanish, or my girlfrend might not understand my suburban American accent because she's from England.

Yeah, I sometimes have a difficult time staying consistent, but I gain more from my efforts in the long run.
I have a slight accent when I speak Spanish. I more or less try to emulate the Madrid accent(I guess this could be considered standard peninsular Spanish) . I don't really change it when I speak to people from other places. I'm understood when I say something by almost everyone. I'm still trying to improve though, but I will probably always have a slight North American accent when speaking Spanish and I would assume it would be the same if I learned another language.
Last edited by zackk at Aug 30, 2014,
I would be happy enough if they can speak the language.

Using 'proper' accents seems a bit silly to me since even in my own language the accents differ a hell of a lot. My Northern English accent is incredibly different compared to, say, somebody from London.

Or maybe it's just that in England you only have to walk 5 minutes down the road to find an area with a different accent, so I'm more used to differences.
Or perhaps it's because I'm not a stuck up prick and think that it's cool somebody from another country has put in enough time and effort already to actually speak my language, rather than being offended that they didn't use the 'correct accent' when they speak.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
No why would I go to Glasgow and speak like I'm manoeuvring a cock through my larynx?
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Last edited by shattamakar at Aug 30, 2014,
Quote by vocoderboy
so long as when you order a beer you get a beer its all good. in any language. does sign language have different accents?

more importantly do people slur their signs when drunk
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by shattamakar
No why would I go to Glasgow and speak like I'm manoeuvring a cock through my larynx?

#shotsfired
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I did German at high school, and the family had been taking holidays in Germany for a few years(mum and dad both spoke a bit, as Dad had spent about 4 years of his time in the Army in Germany).
One year, when we'd been in Bavaria for 2 weeks, I picked up the accent there, which makes German sound much less like angry Klingon. Gave the teacher a bit of a shock.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by shattamakar

You w0t?

Mon' then ya wee dick. Square go. A'll fockin' burst ye ya specky wee cvnt.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
I did German at high school, and the family had been taking holidays in Germany for a few years(mum and dad both spoke a bit, as Dad had spent about 4 years of his time in the Army in Germany).
One year, when we'd been in Bavaria for 2 weeks, I picked up the accent there, which makes German sound much less like angry Klingon. Gave the teacher a bit of a shock.

Ah, see, that's your problem. You're thinking Bavaria is Germany. It's not.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Aug 30, 2014,
Quote by shattamakar

This is how you Glasgow.
Quote by Philip_pepper
You w0t?

Mon' then ya wee dick. Square go. A'll fockin' burst ye ya specky wee cvnt.

Ah, see, that's your problem. You're thinking Bavaria is Germany. It's not.

Yea, the thing about Bavaria is that it's actually nice.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
This is how you Glasgow.

Yea, the thing about Bavaria is that it's actually nice.

Nice, not beautiful, like Hamburg. <3
Quote by theogonia777
more importantly do people slur their signs when drunk

Is it rude to sign with your hands full?

If you're having rough sex and your partner is bound how do they sign the safety word?

If your deaf child is being profane do you wash his hands out with soap?

If they travel to Italy do the locals beat them up for stereotyping?

How do they test to make sure their smoke detectors are functioning properly?

Do they consider prostate stimulation talking out of their ass?

Is lacing your fingers together the equivalent of french kissing?
Whatever Bjork does really. That accent is so amazinggggggg.

On a serious note though, I think its really interesting how a lot of native English speakers can emulate, say, a French accent so that it would sound pretty close to a French accent, however... With my experience of living in France and hearing them try to speak English, they physically struggle to get even close to a non French accent while speaking English.

With that said, pronunciation is actually really important (with the French language anyway), if you don't pronounce words close to what they know then they wont have a clue what you're saying.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Nice, not beautiful, like Hamburg. <3

That's not beautiful?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Bavaria is nice.

OT: I still haven't decided what's more cringe inducing: letting your natural accent come through and sound like shit, therefore being awful at the language, or pretending to have the right accent and come off as either trying too hard or like you're just making a mockery of it. For example, Americans taking Spanish classes and trying to sound like they have a Mexican accent comes off worse than just taking ownership of your nasally yank accent, in my opinion.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Aug 30, 2014,
I would appreciate someone speaking my language with a funny accent, for two reasons.

1. well they took the time to learn my language, props to them
2. I could laugh at their funny accent

So yah, your teacher is a fascist TS.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by guitarxo

word.

i talk in a variety of different accents and dialects depending on where i am and who i'm talking to. probably 4. this should familiar to anyone who grew up speaking a way that's considered "trash" or "hick" or whatever.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I don't speak with a Southern accent when I travel in the South, or a New England accent when I travel North. I'm not going to try to speak German in 5 or 6 different accents.
Quote by daytripper75
I don't speak with a Southern accent when I travel in the South, or a New England accent when I travel North. I'm not going to try to speak German in 5 or 6 different accents.

There's a difference between a "sub-accent" and a regular accent. If you are speaking German, you should use the correct phonemes to rid yourself of the American accent you are sure to have. Trying to emulate minor regional accents is overkill, though.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts

their detectors flash the lights.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Is it rude to sign with your hands full?

If you're having rough sex and your partner is bound how do they sign the safety word?

If your deaf child is being profane do you wash his hands out with soap?

If they travel to Italy do the locals beat them up for stereotyping?

Do they consider prostate stimulation talking out of their ass?

Is lacing your fingers together the equivalent of french kissing?

how do two deaf people move a piece of heavy furniture?
I'm quite proud to say that I have a proper English accent. I am proud of it, because I've never heard or seen any other Dutchman speak English with a proper English accent.

Speaking of which, when are the Americans going to learn English?
Quote by Thrashtastic15

How do they negotiate with police in a hostage situation?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
-pic-

That's not beautiful?

Where is this and why haven't I been there in the two years I lived there
Do deaf people have anxiety about public signing?

How do they play patty cake?

Can they tell when the tv is on but the cable box is off?

How do they know if an ambulance needs to get by from behind them when they're driving?
Quote by Thrashtastic15

they carry it with their hands

is that a trick question
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.