Page 1 of 2
The link between intelligence and happiness.

What do you think about it?

Personally I feel that intelligent people, because of a greater understanding of how the world works and the evils in it are less likely to be happy.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
Some smart people are happy, some smart people are unhappy.

Some dumb people are happy, some dumb people are unhappy.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

What trowzaa said pretty much, nothing more to it
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by behind_you
smart people know how to make money and money = happiness

This.

I think there's an evolutionary reason why smart people are more likely to be unhappy. They can analyze people and situations and determine whether there are reasons to be happy or unhappy. If things are not up to a certain standard, they'll be unhappy and pushed to change the environment (make money, attack enemies, become socially dominant) in order to increase chances of passing on their genetic materials. Alleles rule all.

I just pulled that oot mah arse.
I don't buy into that correlation. It's a simultaneous excuse for "intelligent" people to justify their cynicism or poor social skills and unhappy people to claim "intelligence."
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by behind_you
smart people know how to make money and money = happiness

Money does equal happiness but you don't have to be smart to make good money.
I dunno man, I see what you mean, but I know a few dumb people that are happier with an extremely simple life than I could ever be.

Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Money does equal happiness but you don't have to be smart to make good money.

A fool and his money are quickly parted. This has been very much relevant in my experience with people.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Aug 30, 2014,
Complicate the idea of happiness first, TS.

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/42

Happiness is more than euphoric feelings, more than its pursuit and and more than the premise of a Pharell song. We interpret events to bring us happiness, which trumps the notion that any event can be intrinsically happy. Culture and context determine whether childbirth should be as happy an event as child sacrifice.

I do think that no one can be happy without well developed filters that block out the overwhelming buzz of reality. Feelings, experiences, images and words that are associated with happiness need personal confirmations of meaning. The mind always whispers 'ORLY?' to our convictions of happiness. I guess you could say that one can trace any happy event to an infinite regress of unhappy events. I want to go on with this idea but somehow I can't commit to it fully.

Here is this dick again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U88jj6PSD7w
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Last edited by shattamakar at Aug 30, 2014,
Quote by Philip_pepper
A fool and his money are quickly parted. This has been very much relevant in my experience with people.

In my experience ur mams legs are quickly parted.
I'm unhappy and dumb as shit.

TS argument is shattered like a... shattering thing that's been shattered.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Zizek is god
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by Dreadnought
It's [an] excuse for "intelligent" people to justify their cynicism or poor social skills

this this this this this

if you want to try to understand both intelligence and happiness with any earnest you will need to see them as multidimensional, fuzzy, pathetically human things. no doubt it soon becomes too complex to speak of a simple correlation with any meaning.

in other words fuck off
i don't know why i feel so dry
You don't have to be an intelligent person to realize that the world is a shit place, nor do you have to be unhappy knowing that.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
But you can be relatively superficially happy not knowing how shit the world is AKA the classical formulation of the american dream.
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by deadsmileyface
shawnkenneth

Dont be a dork dead
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
At the end of the day, even rich people are stuck in a rat race. You may make 100k more a year, but your mortgage is doubled and your BMW car payments are doubled as well. The only true way to be happy is to live within your means relative to income.
Last edited by NewDayHappy at Aug 30, 2014,
Quote by shattamakar
relatively superficially happy

uggghhhhh

the classical formulation of the american dream.

ugghhhhhh
Quote by NewDayHappy
At the end of the day, even rich people are stuck in a rat race. You may make 100k more a year, but your mortgage is doubled and your BMW car payments are doubled as well. The only true way to be happy is to live within your means relative to income.

This is ridiculous
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I do not agree with this.

Partially because of what Dreadnought said, but also because it's a bit ignorant and insulting to assume that anyone who is happy is stupid.
Quote by Dreadnought
uggghhhhh

ugghhhhhh

Yes?
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

Quote by shattamakar
Yes?

Your phrasing is cringey
Quote by Dreadnought
Your phrasing is cringey

I blame colonialism.
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

Depends on the subject. Some people aren't happy because they aren't smart and feel like they get left behind in a society which is quickly moving forward. People are happy because they secured their pre-order of Destiny on PS4. Happiness is satisfaction. Satisfaction is through experience and/or actions. Therefore, you should talk about happiness based on your experience or actions, rather than a trait such as being smart. As for the correlation, just take this example. In the news, there was a homeless person with a ph.D in Physics. Do you think they are happy or no? I don't think a correlation exists at all between those two variables.
I agree. Only dumb people can actually be happy. It's only logical.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
shattamakar's avatar makes me pretty happy

You should have seen it before I shooped in the hats for Christmas, 2012.

Dayim.
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

Hemingway seemed to have thought so

and Hemingway > y'all
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Quote by CrazyMatt
Hemingway seemed to have thought so

and Hemingway > y'all

he had a good taste in poetry if his book titles are any indication

i'll give him that
i don't know why i feel so dry
Page 1 of 2