I've had a SX les paul copy for 4 years now and its time for a change. what guitars would you recommend for someone who is in to playing blues and rock eg. chuck berry, AC/DC, guns n roses and Aerosmith as well as a guitar which is suitable for use in a jazz band where we play songs from orchestra such as the count baise band and enoch light band. Im looking for this guitar to be a investment as well so in 30 or 40 years time its worth more than what I paid for it. Any suggestions help and if you have any other guitar buying advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Budget?

Sounds like you'd be looking for a semi-hollow with 2 humbuckers, no?
No mention of budget.....So if you looking for a investment guitar go for a vintage strat or LesPaul....That's a easy call

But i asume your not stepping of from a SX LP copy to a 5 to 10K guitar..

Budget guitars usually aren't know to go up in value, however the last few years the 80's and 90's Mexican and Japaneese Fenders have been increasing in value....

I have a MIM 72 Tele Custom Reissue with a humbucker in the neck and i love it....
Quote by OliveG
Budget?

Sounds like you'd be looking for a semi-hollow with 2 humbuckers, no?

Yeah I was thinking about the epiphone 339 or 335 or the gibson 336. Do you know anything about these?
Quote by Guitaraddict45
No mention of budget.....So if you looking for a investment guitar go for a vintage strat or LesPaul....That's a easy call

But i asume your not stepping of from a SX LP copy to a 5 to 10K guitar..

Budget guitars usually aren't know to go up in value, however the last few years the 80's and 90's Mexican and Japaneese Fenders have been increasing in value....

I have a MIM 72 Tele Custom Reissue with a humbucker in the neck and i love it....

I do want to go for something like a epiphone or Gibson les paul (price max of maybe $1200 NZD) however I just need to know if it would be a better build quality, sound quality and easier to play than the budget les paul copy I have at the moment. Do you think that it would be safe to assume that the epiphones and Gibson would be better?
I recently bought an SX Lp with Duncan 59s and its been impressive so far. It makes me chuckle, the warm, lush tone coming out of this $80 guitar. I'm sure you need an upgrade, but they can sound good as they're falling apart and the frets are cutting your fingers.

I like Epi semihollows. The $299 Dot is a decent player and the 339 Pros and Ultras are sweet imo. I also really like the Wildkat, which is currently third on my g.a.s.list. Imo, its best to go somewhere else for an LP type guitar (check out Agile, waaay better build than SX, but the same distributor, Rondo) but the semihollows are great for the money.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Besides Gibson/Epiphone, good HH semihollows can be had from brands like Ibanez, Hagstrom, Eastwood, Godin and Reverend. IMHO the Reverends deliver the best combination of quality, tones, and versatility in that price range, with Hagstroms right behind. The Ibanezes deliver the most bang for the buck on the lower end of the scale. The Godins are priciest, but probably also the best overall quality by a slim margin. The Eastwoods are middle of the pack, but I really like their 12-string.

Of those, the Reverends are my favorite. Look for a Manta Ray HB, Tricky Gomez, Club King RT or Reeves Gabrels SpaceHawk. In your neck of the woods, 555 Music in Australia is probably the only outlet for them, though :
http://www.yelp.com/biz/555-music-hawthorn

Or, if you're brave like me, check out one of the sellers on eBay or-better yet- Reverb.com who ships internationally.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
While I think the ones I mentioned are better than the Epis, make no mistake, the Epi semihollows are still good guitars. A friend of mine has a Wildkat- quite a sexy axe.

And the Epi semihollows have been showing up in the hands of up & coming pros like Gary Clark, Jr. and Trustworth Samende.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

RE:
Im looking for this guitar to be a investment as well so in 30 or 40 years time its worth more than what I paid for it.

Just fuggedaboudit. Buy a good guitar you like, and ignore its value in the used guitar market. Most guitars- even those that are well made- do not appreciate in value. In fact, most fail to even retain their absolute purchase-price value (nominally breakeven, but an inflation-adjusted loss) and in fact, will be found on the used market between 20-60% off of original purchase price. For there to be any kind of meaningful appreciation, you'll need a combination of some or all of:

1) quality
2) association with a famous guitarist or other celebrity
3) association with a large number of guitarists in a popular genre
4) scarcity
5) rampant speculation by other would-be investors

And realize that some of these factors play against each other. While #2 & #3 may mean there is high demand for the guitar, if it is produced in large enough numbers to satisfy that demand, the guitar is unlikely to be scarce. If it IS scarce, it could be because it was poorly made, which means it will fail criterion #1.

Speculation is, of course, the wild-card. It can lead to stratospheric price increases...which could be followed by meteoric price declines if the speculation bubble bursts.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 31, 2014,
If you want to stay with a LP type and have 1200 bucks to spend go for a Gibson, for that budget you can get a new studio model and if you look on the used market you can find a nice standard,

There are other very nice LP type guitars.....I have PRS, Schecter, Gretsch, and Reverened in my collection and love them all, but theres something special about your first Gibson Les Paul.........It's a rock & roll legend.
You should buy a dildo for your ass

Christ the pit is slow, i didnt read anything carry on
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
The Malden Karma & Bad Karma and especially the Electra Omega & Omega Prime are also very good LP substitutes.

I won't say either is better than a Gibson...but I don't care for Gibsons, personally, so I would be biased.

(Had to walk away couple times, meant to point at Danny's post bout investment guitars)
^Excellent point, well put. If there is a current production guitar that actually gains value, the average guitarist would rarely, if at all have access to. But, you can consider it a trade-off cause us average guitarists have easy access to a gigantic used market where you can get anything you want far cheaper than buying new. Perhaps collectors lose but players win on the market right now.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Aug 31, 2014,
Quote by sam.moloney
Yeah I was thinking about the epiphone 339 or 335 or the gibson 336. Do you know anything about these?

Mostly about the Epiphone ES-335 Pro. I've read tons and tons of reviews and all of them were very, very good, so when I tried one a couple of weeks ago at GC who now seems to carry them I thought I was going to be disappointed, but I wasn't. I want one so bad one might say I'm a bit obsessed... I can send you a few pics if you want...
Quote by OliveG
Mostly about the Epiphone ES-335 Pro. I've read tons and tons of reviews and all of them were very, very good, so when I tried one a couple of weeks ago at GC who now seems to carry them I thought I was going to be disappointed, but I wasn't. I want one so bad one might say I'm a bit obsessed... I can send you a few pics if you want...

Hey mate that would be great if you could send me some pics