Does anyone have any experience with this pedal? A buddy of mine has one he is willing to sell for a pretty darn fair price (one of those "I'm not playing anymore and need to sell most of my crap" kind of guy). Unfortunately he lives about as far away from me as possible so I can't nab it from him and give it a trial (he'd be shipping it to me if I decide to buy).

I love the idea of what it does, but the reviews I read online read from "this is a must have to make your amp shine" to "this pedal does absolutely nothing."

I play through a Vox AC30 and run it clean quite often for gigs (I'm in a cover band and a lot of songs call for a very clean tone) and I absolutely love the amp's clean tone, so making that stand out even more is appealing. On the flip side, I've got no room on my pedalboard so this would really have to be worth it for me to buy it (and thus knock another pedal off).

So any impressions of this bad boy? Not only for cleans, but how it pairs with dirt pedals? I use a Timmy and Rat for drive with the Vox. Can this pedal be turned on and left on for both clean and dirt (will it play nice with other pedals)? Etc.

Any feedback would be most welcomed!
I've had this pedal for a long time and I really love it. It is kinda hard to describe what it does exactly and I kinda took a leap a faith in buying without really knowing what it did... but it seems to make your tone much clearer and fuller whether you're playing clean or distortion or whatever. I put my in the effects loop but it works fine in front of the amp as well as with whatever pedals you got. I think its a great pedal and worth the price
When I first heard about it I was intrigued, but after trying it, I felt it did nothing more than tweak the entire eq section slightly with the push of a button. My thought was, there's nothing the ss does that I can't do by walking over and tweaking my amp. I think some people happen to like how it tweaks their amp, thus some people like the ss. I'm poor so I'd rather just dial it in myself and spend the money elsewhere but its completely up to you. If you try it and like it, buy it. Guitars are incredibly subjective once you're off and running.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
it's a pedal that causes very polarized opinions.

i personally don't like the pedal. a guitarist i used to play with used one for a few months, he loved it and i disliked it. i was constantly trying to get him to do away with it.

eventually he fell out of love with the pedal and thought he sounded better without it. i was very happy when he got rid of it.

to me it was kinda like 'scooped mids', something that sounds attractive at first but you eventually figure out it is not such a good idea once you've been exposed to it for a while. i am not saying it sounded like a scooped setting, i am just comparing it to the reaction/effect of such a setting.

some people really like it though, so try it out and see if you are one of those people. i just thought you should hear the opinion of someone who didn't like the effect.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
i had one. sounded nice for a few days,, then i got sick of it. i sold it, and don't feel the need to ever have one again.

its practically a 2 band EQ, but the mids are left back in the mix. just gives a scooping effect.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have the rack mount equivalent of the BBE Sonic Stomp. I forget the model number and its sitting under the bench in my workshop. Or somewhere else.
Sonic Maximizer 362 I think.
According to the manual, it worked best in the effects loop.
(Or was designed to go in an effects loop, I forget what the manual said exactly).

I had a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT (Modded to have an effects loop).
It worked well with the AD30VT and it was a noticeable improvement.

I then tried it with my AC30 (In the effects loop).
If there was an improvement, then I guess my ears weren't golden enough to tell the difference.

IMO, you would be far better off getting an EQ pedal.
A good EQ is so, so much more useful. An EQ can do what the SM does, and a million other things too. And it'll probably be cheaper.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
it's not a EQ it's a sonic maximizer ..... I like mine and don't play with out , it makes every amp I have sound better .... it's like what they describe in the add , it's like lifting a heavy blanket off your amp , every note sounds better , it does not scoop the mids and it's not a equalizer but it does has a tone control
Quote by Fumble fingers
it's not a EQ it's a sonic maximizer ..... I like mine and don't play with out , it makes every amp I have sound better .... it's like what they describe in the add , it's like lifting a heavy blanket off your amp , every note sounds better , it does not scoop the mids and it's not a equalizer but it does has a tone control

It worked fine on my AD30VT. It made a difference there.
It didn't do shit for my AC30. It didn't make a difference there.
Quote by Fumble fingers

It is an EQ for idiots.
No offence to you that is just what I have always called the Sonic Maximizers. I'm not to thrilled using them with my amps. I do have an older rack-mount version and I like it when I run my PA through it, it makes dialing in a room easier for some reason.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
it's a lousy EQ if that's what people buy it for ...... works great on my Fender Twin reverb and Super Reverb , works good on my Peavey 6505+ , Classic 30 , Vox AC4TV and old Kustom Sidewinder even if you don't change the tone it still sounds better on my junk ..... no offense taken but a EQ it is not but it may work for some dummy's as a EQ
Quote by Fumble fingers
it's a lousy EQ if that's what people buy it for ...... works great on my Fender Twin reverb and Super Reverb , works good on my Peavey 6505+ , Classic 30 , Vox AC4TV and old Kustom Sidewinder even if you don't change the tone it still sounds better on my junk ..... no offense taken but a EQ it is not but it may work for some dummy's as a EQ

But it is a type of EQ. It will keep the midrange nice and tight and you can add or remove bass and highs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
true : I have distortion pedals that have tone switches/dial's too but I would never get one to use as a EQ ... the SS is still a lousy EQ if that's why some one is looking at it for .... in that case a MXR 10 band should be purchased ....the SSt works for me just like Metal Militia posted
The idea of this pedal is that it is an exciter, same as the rackmount. It adds some frequencies that aren't there to beef up the tone. Usually people with solid state amps like these better as they generate 3rd order harmonics in a way that a tube amp would, but they also do some frequency shifting in the lows and highs. It usually gets grating after a while and it is almost useless in a band context. I think Aphex have one that has an exciter and opto-compressor built into it that seems to sound better.
Thanks for all the replies guys,

Seeing a lot of similar reservations about the pedal online that I've gotten here in this thread, so I think I'll hold off and see if I can get my hands on one and see what it does to the Vox in person before I buy one off blind faith (especially since I don't have room for it on the ol' board at the moment anyways).

If I can find someone round town with one I can borrow I'll definitely take one for a spin, but for now I'll stay put. There are a good amount on eBay anyways so if I ever do decide to go after a used one I'll have plenty of options.
If you can find a cheap rack mount BBE get that to try because you can use it for live sound (where I think the sonic maximiser works best) when you stop liking it for guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Good idea and that is an option I've kicked around. Our band recently constructed a stand for our PA mixer that has space/slots built for mounting rack gear under the mixer. Our keyboardist got a rack unit for our vocals, so I could put it there for my guitar and/or something else if it comes to that.

Rack gear is really a whole 'nother world to me (I actually started a thread on here a while back for some explanations as to what people used because it is so foreign to me). I'm used to having a shit loud of stomp boxes at my feet and wires everywhere that I trip on...
Quote by Fumble fingers
I know a guy that uses the Sonic Stomp just for his vocals , I guess it works there too

Yeah I actually prefer the SM for PA/vocals over instruments
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate