Hey guys --

I've been working on some songs I wrote lately and one in particular is extremely difficult to play in its entirety. I'm not quite done writing the song yet but so far it's around 6 minutes long and falls under the black/death metal genre (that should explain a little about my difficulties).

Anyway, it features tremelo picking almost constantly as well as galloping in certain parts. Basically, the song is brutal on my right forearm.

A little background -- I've been playing for at least 18 years, and consider myself to have pretty good stamina. I play this stuff all the time (blackened death metal...or I should probably say "deathened" black metal). I know all about eliminating tension, economy of motion, picking only from the wrist etc. ***The problem I'm experiencing is not 'pain' per se, it's just normal muscle fatigue after about 5 minutes of machine-gun riffing.*** While I strive to stay relaxed while playing, there is a certain amount of tension you can't really avoid when playing 16th notes at 180 bpm.

Are you guys aware of any exercises or stretches that can help this, or is it simply a matter of playing the song over and over with periods of rest in order to build up stamina?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Sep 1, 2014,
You just need to keep practicing playing for longer periods of time. Make sure to rest enough between every "set" of extended playing.

You could try and work out your muscles to develop stamina but honestly the best way to get better at playing for ages is to play for ages.
Tremolo picking 16th notes at 180 bpm for 5 minutes is ****ing impressive! Im not sure you can improve by a large amount, the body just gets tired and there isnt much you can do about it.

Maybe you can try mess with the pick angle and see if it becomes more effortless.

Seriously 5 minutes!
Quote by tappooh
Tremolo picking 16th notes at 180 bpm for 5 minutes is ****ing impressive! Im not sure you can improve by a large amount, the body just gets tired and there isnt much you can do about it.

Maybe you can try mess with the pick angle and see if it becomes more effortless.

Seriously 5 minutes!

Lol thanks! It is quite tiring! I might just have to write in a slow interlude to help catch my breath. It's actually not the straight tremelo picking parts that tire me out -- my right hand is like a robotic hand when it comes to that. The song just has these parts where there's this tremelo-gallop-polyrhythm pattern over whole chords so the range of motion has to be bigger. What happens is that I get so tired it becomes difficult to accent the down strokes and it becomes very difficult to stay on time at that point. I'll keep working on it.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood