how much does quality matter. for example ive used the regular livewires for a long time. was thinking about trying the planet waves american series. maybe something a bit better. seems like the livewires cables are soo noisey. ive always had squealing problems and never stopped to think maybe its the cables. eager see the opinions on cables.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on
Amplitube 4/Reaper (Lepou)

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass (EMG GZR)
Ampeg 108B
if you want really good quality cables for cheap www.redco.com

You can get Mogami or Canare wire with Neutrik jacks for <$30 for a 20 ft cable. They custom make them for you so you can get any lenght you want made.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
if you want really good quality cables for cheap www.redco.com

You can get Mogami or Canare wire with Neutrik jacks for <$30 for a 20 ft cable. They custom make them for you so you can get any lenght you want made.

would there be alot better than the livewires?
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Quote by romeozdistress
would there be alot better than the livewires?

They are all quality
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Buy a bunch of unbranded switchraft 228's (that's my jack of choice anyway), get whatever nice quality shielded cable, and make your own cables.

That's gonna be cheaper and more convenient.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ well it won't be more convenient if you hate soldering EDIT: but i agree that decent quality cable and good jacks are what you need. even if you pay someone to make them up for you. no need to go to the crazy audiophile prices.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

my amp is just hella loud with noise. hum, squealing and stuff like that. it even hums when ther eis no guitar plugged in, i tested it. i was just wondering if better cables would help with that. i have changed the two preamp tubes already. to tung sol ecc82 and jj ecc83. i was looking at the planet waves american series. nothing too crazy. and then i saw joyo had a noise gate. just want to try and solve this problem.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
No offense, but your amp isn't a hell of an high quality amp and that isn't helping.

Also the stock speaker is pretty dark, so you have to turn the gain up more to get a convincing high gain metal tone, and that isn't helping with the noise either.
Or the highs, and the effect would still be raising the noise.

Also your guitars have fairly average quality p/ups and likely also electronics, and they may not be shielded.

Also the power line in your house might be subject to some fluctuations and stuff, and that wouldn't be helping either.

It's good to have good cables, but in your situations they really aren't the first things I'd look at.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
If it's humming and squealing with no cable plugged in then the cables aren't the problem.

I had a tungsol 12ax7 (ecc83) which I think was microphonic out of the box.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
If it's humming and squealing with no cable plugged in then the cables aren't the problem.

I had a tungsol 12ax7 (ecc83) which I think was microphonic out of the box.

i meant with the cable not plugged into the guitar. so chances are the tung sol and rubys were all microphonic? its still loud when it snot plugged into the guitar i havent tried. with not plugged in at all.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Turn the amp on with no cables plugged in, if your getting the noise then try another tube
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the noise stops when i remove the cable form the amp. i use the regular live wires. was looking at the planet waves american series. would that solve the problem? dont want to spend a fortune and i dont know how to solder.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Did you buy your cable from Guitar Center? If so you can walk in and give it to them and they'll give you a brand new in the box one.

Building your own cables is a lot cheaper, but the lifetime warranty offered by Live Wire and Mogami and (I think) Monster are worth the extra initial cost to buy from GC, IMO.

EDIT: It probably doesn't matter where you bought it actually. You don't need a receipt or anything.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
oh ok so when you have a cable plugged into the amp there's noise but there's not when you take the cable away?

plug the cable into the guitar and then into the amp (sometimes you can get noise if you have nothing plugged into the other end of the cable) and then compare that to the noise level when you have the amp turned on but nothing plugged into it. if you get noise when nothing is plugged in it's (probably) a tube problem (might be just one, not necessarily all the tubes). if you only get noise when the guitar is plugged in it's either a guitar or cable problem.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by Dave_Mc
oh ok so when you have a cable plugged into the amp there's noise but there's not when you take the cable away?

plug the cable into the guitar and then into the amp (sometimes you can get noise if you have nothing plugged into the other end of the cable) and then compare that to the noise level when you have the amp turned on but nothing plugged into it. if you get noise when nothing is plugged in it's (probably) a tube problem (might be just one, not necessarily all the tubes). if you only get noise when the guitar is plugged in it's either a guitar or cable problem.

correct, when there is a cable plugged in from the bad monkey or without. both alot of noise. when there isnt a cable plugged in there is no noise at all.

i tried plugging it in the guitar and then into the amp. no change. so yeah no noise with nothing plugged in, alot of noise with both guitars while plugged in.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
ah ok.

have you tried a different guitar?

have you tried a different cable?

sorry for all the questions but when you do all this stuff you can totally narrow down where the problem is.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Spambot and Robbgnarly have it right on the money...no need to pay for gold coatings, etc...nice quality shielded cable and Mogami or Neutrik connectors are the best imo.

I do have some Fatsoflex cables that are extremely well made and lifetime guaranteed, they're a good investment if you think of being serious. When they break (which they don't often at all) you can always send back and get replacement.
yeah i tried a really really cheap crappy cable i had and it did the same thing. and yes it does it with both of my guitars. the vbt is a bit more intense.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
The issue is probably that when you don't plug a cable in, the input of the amp is shorted to ground, shunting all noise. Then when you put a cable in, that connection is broken and the noise is present at the input op amp. The issue is most likely your amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by diabolical
nice quality shielded cable and Mogami or Neutrik connectors are the best imo.
Just to make it clear, mogami makes cables and neutrik makes connectors.

As for the reliability, with the money of a good cable with lifetime warranty on it you can make yourself two cables of the same length and quality if you buy enough cable at a time.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
99% hype. That's not what I think. It's the truth. Really bad, cheap cables are still bad. $100 bucks for a guitar cable is a joke. Why worry about frequencies you will never hear. Nor will any guitar amp ever reproduce. All the frequencies your electric guitar will ever produce comes from those tiny wires coming from your pickups. That's the simple truth. Pulling those electrons threw 1/4 inch of coper or silver will not make a difference. Quality shielding and flexible coper will. Get good stuff with good warrantees. Save the hype for people who've never seen the inside of the guitar. And NO, unless your running 40 ft or more of cable your not going to hear any difference. No matter what price you paid.
so the cables have nothing to do with the sqeauling and hum?
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
No. The cable is acting like an antenna when it isn't plugged into your guitar. The signal received is then amplified by the amp accordingly. It wouldn't matter if the cables were solid gold with soldering flux made with the tears of Robert Smith, it will still do it.
All you can do is clean the sockets of the amp (ALL of them), try new tubes and as stated, perhaps another speaker. If none of that works then sorry, but it's time for a new amp. Sure, if somebody like me was allowed to attack it, I may be able to reduce some noise but maybe not too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cause the Rat
99% hype. That's not what I think. It's the truth. Really bad, cheap cables are still bad. $100 bucks for a guitar cable is a joke. Why worry about frequencies you will never hear. Nor will any guitar amp ever reproduce. All the frequencies your electric guitar will ever produce comes from those tiny wires coming from your pickups. That's the simple truth. Pulling those electrons threw 1/4 inch of coper or silver will not make a difference. Quality shielding and flexible coper will. Get good stuff with good warrantees. Save the hype for people who've never seen the inside of the guitar. And NO, unless your running 40 ft or more of cable your not going to hear any difference. No matter what price you paid.

Agreed that expensive stuff is a rip off, but about a third of your post is gibberish.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i just replaced the tubes and speaker lol. and i just got the amp, still owe 3 payments on it. ill just have to deal with the noise. thoughts ont hat joyo noise gate? seems like thats the only option left. its under 40. or i could just fork over the extra $15 and grab the ns-2 used i guess.

jj ecc83 and tung sol ecc82 and celestion eight 15.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Last edited by romeozdistress at Sep 1, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92

Building your own cables is a lot cheaper, but the lifetime warranty offered by Live Wire and Mogami and (I think) Monster are worth the extra initial cost to buy from GC, IMO.

If you're buying one or two cables and playing mostly in your bedroom, that's probably true. If you're playing out a lot, I'd venture it's NOT the best idea. I buy Canare cable and Neutrik cables in bulk and make a bag of them in an evening, in the lengths I need most. In the rare event that something happens with one, I've got a ton of spares and, should the cable actually need replacing (rather than a repair), I've probably saved enough money on the cables themselves AND the gas running back and forth to a GC and hoping they're not out of stock (they are, more often,these days) on the one I want to pay for another potload of materials.
Quote by Spambot_2
Just to make it clear, mogami makes cables and neutrik makes connectors.

As for the reliability, with the money of a good cable with lifetime warranty on it you can make yourself two cables of the same length and quality if you buy enough cable at a time.

Sorry, meant to say Switchcraft...

One cool thing I did when I was playing ton of gigs while back was to buy all Mars Music brand cable which was basically on par with something like Livewires, not bad but affordable. They had lifetime warranty and Mars was a big chain so I carried the receipts with me and would replace them all the time, no questions asked. The other guitarist at the time did same with GC brand cable. It beat soldering.
^ My first Gibson LP came from a MARS, when they went bust Sam Ash took over the store and it was not the same after that.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by mmolteratx
The issue is probably that when you don't plug a cable in, the input of the amp is shorted to ground, shunting all noise. Then when you put a cable in, that connection is broken and the noise is present at the input op amp. The issue is most likely your amp.

listen to matt, he knows more than me
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

i know most people don't like monster, but look used. i bought all my monster cables (probably a dozen 20'ers) for 50% of new from a guy on CL. i talked him down more once i got them all. i paid like $20 for each cable.

i have ****ed up a few, siting on an end of it and klling the jack and one that was just beat, but i like the resin on the ends so it couldn't really disconect. they have an OTC warranty, i drive 8 miles to a shop. they hand me a brand new one in packaging and i am inand out of the store in five minutes.

i wouldn't pay $50 for a monster cable, but for what i did they are fine. if it colors tone, i guess the color isn't that bad

but when i get around to it i am going to order some good cable and switchcraft jacks and solder the ones for my pedalboard.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dave_Mc
listen to matt, he knows more than me

+2
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

With cables, you get what you pay for - up to a point. Alessandro makes a 20-foot cable that sells for US$2,000.00. I cannot imagine how it could be worth that much.

A lot of producers and engineers out here in La La Land genuinely prefer the Mogami Platinum cables, and some have had cables custom-made for them by Mogami, so they are definitely worth looking into.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!