As I finally got a half decent job, I'm saving money to buy my first guitar and amp. Need help from UG community.

Budget: $1300 total for guitar and amp

Favorite Artists: The Stone Roses, The Smiths, R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Diiv, The Libertines

Preferences: Fender, Gibson

New or Used: no preference

PERSONALLY! The Peavey VYPRY VIP Series is GREAT! Has a ton of cool "effects" and things built in so you can practice and experiment will all kinds of sounds without shelling out cash for each pedal. I use a VIP 2 ($199) & if you want Gibson, check out the "Gibson Les Paul LPJ Studio Deluxe" ($749) and sounds AMAZING as a decent entry-mid level guitar. If you want to save a bit, the Epi Les Paul Custom Pro, is about ($549) and sounds quite amazing also.

I own an Epi LP Custom Pro, & a Peavey VIP 2 both are amazing, I also like the LPJ Studio Deluxe, but IN MY OPINION, it wasn't worth an extra $200.
Imo, spending a lot of money when you're just starting to learn isn't a good idea. Its tough to tell what works best for you when you have no experience to base your preferences on. A decent, used mim Fender or LP type and one of the entry level name brand modeling amps (Vox Valvetronix, Peavey Vyper, Roland Cube, Fender Mustang) would make an excellent beginners rig and will give you an idea of where you wanna go as your skills develop.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
To explain also, what is it you're looking for primarily? Is it the body styles, name, pickup combos that Fender & Gibson offer? Or just going by what people have told you was good?

Both of those are not generally considered Entry Level, specially if you aren't sure. Which is why I recommended Epiphone vs Gibson. I do, however, strongly advise against Squier by Fender.
You probably shouldn't spend that much as a beginner. It makes much more sense to buy a cheaper starter guitar to learn on, then later on you can upgrade. Based on your musical preferences, I'd recommend the J Mascis Jazzmaster. It can cover the bands you listed pretty well. Whatever guitar you decide to get though, you definitely want something with single coils.
Scrap it all, get a great acoustic guitar to learn on.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
I spent $1000 on my first guitar, but I wasn't really a "beginner" at that time, as I had already been playing for months using guitars belonging to a couple friends and my brother, and was better at it than the people who owned the guitars I borrowed.

But yeah, if you're really a beginner, I wouldn't spend quite that much right away. That said, I wouldn't go super cheap, either, if you don't have to. Getting a crappy guitar to start could very well discourage you from taking it further, since you might not be inspired to play more if your guitar sounds like crap and is difficult to play.

I'd say get a MIM Fender, either a SSS Strat, a Tele, or a Jazzmaster like casper suggested. Depending on exactly which model, that should only cost like $400-$600, less if you go used. Add in a relatively small practice amp, which will run $400 or less, depending on the brand/model, and you'll have your whole setup for about what I paid for my first guitar. Maybe even significantly less if you get the guitar and/or amp used.
Quote by NewDayHappy
Scrap it all, get a great acoustic guitar to learn on.

That'd be nice but, depending on your definition of "great", a "great acoustic guitar" may very well cost even more than an electric guitar, plus an amp, plus a few effects pedals.
Quote by the_bi99man
That'd be nice but, depending on your definition of "great", a "great acoustic guitar" may very well cost even more than an electric guitar, plus an amp, plus a few effects pedals.

Well, I can only speak for what I would do. The first guitar I ever bought for myself was a Martin D16GT for $1,250. I knew that I would sound bad if I played an acoustic guitar, but I knew that my badness would be magnified if I plugged into an amp. The only time I play my electric guitar is when I've studied and practiced down to the point where I know exactly what I'm doing. It took me 4 years into playing the guitar before I actually knew what I was doing, I suppose you could buy a guitar and a small amp with a pair of headphones, but in that case, what's the point? You're better off going unplugged until you find your sound.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
I would recommend the Squier Classic Vibe series. IMO, they sound great, look great and I haven't read a negative review about them. They go for around $350 new. If you think you really want a Gibson, a used Gibson Les Paul Studio should be around $500-$600. A new high-end Epiphone is also around that price point(+- $100)(eg. LP Custom Pro, LP 60's tribute).

Since the bands you listed don't use super-heavy brutal distortion, a Fender Mustang II V2. The clean and slightly overdriven tones on this thing are amazing. Easily the best modeler on the clean end of the spectrum. It's more costly than the Mustang 1 but it wouldn't hurt your budget too much it's around $199 new and the 12 inch speaker really makes a difference.
Nice budget for your first guitar and amp.......My first was a Kay from Sears and a home made amp....

On the used market you can find good values on Fender Strats and even a Les Paul Studio....... Personally i don't care for the EPI's, think better guitars are available for the money..

Before you decide check out Rondomusic.com.....They sell direct to the customer and the Agile LP model is a fantastic guitar for themoney and for your budget you can have the top of the line and still have 900 bucks left....check them out.

Get youself a used Peavy Vypr for 400 bucks and you have a great rig and 500 buck left for some lessons.....
Quote by lucky1978
Imo, spending a lot of money when you're just starting to learn isn't a good idea. Its tough to tell what works best for you when you have no experience to base your preferences on. A decent, used mim Fender or LP type and one of the entry level name brand modeling amps (Vox Valvetronix, Peavey Vyper, Roland Cube, Fender Mustang) would make an excellent beginners rig and will give you an idea of where you wanna go as your skills develop.

I concur.

A nice MIM Strat, Tele, Epi LP, PRS SE, or comparable guitar and one of the above listed amps will work great. All these guitars are gig quality and everyone needs a small portable practice amp that sounds decent. Choose the setup you like based on your musical preferences and guitar influences and dig in for a year. After you know 40 songs and can play the fretboard you will probably be jonesing to add to your setup. It never ends.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY