alright so I want to decide between these two guitars...does only having 22 frets really matter? I haven't played single coils before....I'm planning on switching out the pickups on each guitar. would the HSS setup work well? i play rock metal hardcore but i want a really good clean tone too.
Jackson Soloist X series http://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-CA/series/x-series/models/soloist-slx-rosewood-fingerboard-snow-white/

Jackson SDX http://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-CA/series/artist-signature/models/adrian-smith-signature-sdx-maple-fingerboard-snow-white/
add up how much the pickups would add to the cost of the guitar. you might be able to get a better out-of-the-box guitar for the money, and that's normally a better idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
also is the bolt on good feeling? lol i know the jackson is through body....
depends... i doubt it'd annoy me but then i like bolt-ons.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I tried out the SDX at GC once and I seriously considered buying it at the time, despite just trying it for shits and gigs. The neck was extremely comfortable, seemed thicker than a typical strat neck but not as thick as the baseball bat Les Pauls. Clean sound definitely stood out to me. Can't remember how it handled distortion but if Adrian Smith can make due then I don't see why you couldn't. I've never been a fan of Soloists so I'm a bit biased against them.

EDIT: I do remember the bolt-on getting in the way for higher registers, but not so much it was unplayable.
Last edited by Skullivan at Aug 31, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
add up how much the pickups would add to the cost of the guitar. you might be able to get a better out-of-the-box guitar for the money, and that's normally a better idea.

That's good advice, there.

Also, yeah, the HSS setup is great for what you're going for. Assuming the humbucker in the bridge is a good high-output pup, that'll cover your heavy distortion tone, and you'd usually stay on the bridge pickup for that anyway, even with two humbuckers. Having the single coils there will help with clean tones. A lot of humbuckers still have good clean tone, but I'm personally a fan of the single-coil chime with a clean tone, as are a lot of people. Also, in my opinion, the number of frets is a reasonably big deal. I wouldn't get anything with less than 24 frets for heavy music. But that's because I play lead, and spend a lot of time noodling around the highest frets. Plus, I don't know how much this matters to other people, but I really like having my highest note exactly 4 octaves from my lowest (in standard tuning).
^

And yeah me too regarding the bridge humbucker- as long as you have the bridge humbucker it's up to you regarding the other pickups. A neck humbucker can be nice for more distorted leads but HSS gives you more (or at least, different) versatility.

HSH is under-rated too, if you ask me. That's gives you arguably the best of both worlds (though people who don't like it would likely say it gives you the worst of both ).

I'm fine with 22 frets. Not so keen on 21. But I can see the appeal of 24, too. I sometimes get confused with 24. Despite starting on a guitar with 24.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?