Page 1 of 2
Hi guys,

As a person who's terrible in making decisions, I have turned to this forum for help.

For the past 4 months I have been looking for a new guitar. At the moment I own a Epiphone LP and a 20 year old Hyundai Strat. The Strat is completely useless right now. All the screws are rusted and it seems that the neck has been bend.

The LP is great, but I have been playing a Yamaha Tele a few times and I must say...it's so much easier for me to play. Playing the LP starts to hurt after a while. It's far too heavy for me. I don't like to admit it, but as a girl it seems I do need a somewhat lighter guitar. Small wrists and all...

So anyway, to get to the point. If I'd have all the money in the world, I would buy a Fender Jaguar. But unfortunately I don't. So I gave myself the following options:

1. Squier Jaguar
2. Fender Modern Player Jaguar
3. Squier Tele (or another good brand)
4. Stripping down my old Strat and rebuilding it.

I would try to go for a short scale if possible.

The music I play is indie, grunge, alternative, rock. Stuff like St Vincent, Nirvana, System of a Down, Jimi Hendrix etc. It's hard to do solo's on the LP. I didn't have that problem on the Tele.

Which of my options would you recommend? Or maybe somone had an even better idea.

Greetings,
Kath
I think the decision is really simple to make: out of those 4 options, which guitar feels more comfortable to play?

If it's one of the new ones, get one of them. Even a Tele with single coils can be modded to have a humbucker if you feel the need for it.

If your old Strat feels more comfortable than any of those new guitars, it's definitely worth fixing/upgrading it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
+1 to what Linkerman posted.

additionally i think you should check out some PRS SE semi-hollow body guitars.

those are pretty lightweight, and can be found pretty cheap on the used market. typically around $300-350. PRS also made some SE models from Korina which is a lighter weight wood. scale lenght is 25 so a half inch shorter than the strat you have.

some pics here.

another thought is Reverend Guitars, who also use korina wood and i believe they have some hollow body options. danny is probably recovering from a partay night but he'll post up tons of nice ones in a few hours.

but if you really want a jaguar, get a jaguar. they are typically lighter weight too.

teles are hit and miss with weight but a thinline version is another option that's likely to be lightweight. (semihollow)
thinline tele images

i play a flying V that weighs 6 pounds and some change. but the "V" guitars aren't for everyone.

if you are only considering new guitars, which is obviously fine, then maybe one of the squiers is the best route. they can be hit or miss but more are decent with just an occasional turd in the bunch is my experience. try a few and see what feels good to you.

good luck!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 1, 2014,
Sounds like you'd be a lot more comfortable with the Jaguar and you might want to consider Mustangs also. Based on that I'd forget about resurrecting the Strat or wasting time on telecasters.

IMHO there's not much difference between the Modern Players and high-end Squiers--mainly the name on the headstock--maybe pickups; I've found few Squiers that I wouldn't have to change the pickups on. Sometimes the Squiers have 21 frets, so you may want to take that into account too. My favorite guitar is my modded Squier Affinity Strat, but finally I'm building an American Fender so that I can have a similar configuration, but with a great trem and 22 frets.

BTW, my daughter quickly gravitated to my Mustang because of her hand size. You might be able to find a used Fender re-issue or Pawn Shop model, and there are several other affordable options still in production. Also you might want to concentrate on the more modern versions ('70s style) with the body contour cutouts instead of the flat plank style ('60s style). They're a lot more comfortable to play sitting down.

Good luck!
Last edited by Black'n'Tan at Sep 1, 2014,
another thought is Reverend Guitars, who also use korina wood and i believe they have some hollow body options. danny is probably recovering from a partay night but he'll post up tons of nice ones in a few hours.

Nice to know one of your balls is crystal! Went to a Brazillian churrascaria last night, and was basically in a meat coma the rest of the day...

I'd have actually posted links hours ago, but I was concerned about 2 things: the OP's budget and comments on scale length. Revs are sexy axes and awesome value for money, but they're seldom seen under $500. And the shortest among them is 24.75" scale.

FWIW, Reverb.com has some nice deals on Fender Jags.
https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars/solid-body?query=Fender+%22jaguar%22+max%3A600+make%3Afender
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 1, 2014,
Ehhh...WTH.

Here's a 24.75" Manta Ray- modified. I like the addition of the Bigsby- Rev did some of those themselves- but I don't know jack about the pickups they subbed.

https://reverb.com/item/259413-reverend-manta-ray-2006-metallic-gold

This 25.5" Club King RT is a steal. The RevTron miniHBs are great for all kinds of alt-rock.

https://reverb.com/item/258822-reverend-club-king-rt-orange#policies-tab

And here's a version of it with a pair of P90s.
https://reverb.com/item/243655-reverend-club-king-290-prototype-2005-metalic-gold

For the heavier stuff on your list, these might work:

The Roundhouse is a nice, small-bodied LP clone.
https://reverb.com/item/235182-reverend-roundhouse-hb-2000-s-blonde

The Jetstream is a no-nonsense HH machine.
https://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-18803.htm

The quirky Double Agent gives you a p90 in the neck and a HB in the bridge. Plus, Bigsby.
https://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-18857.htm
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 1, 2014,
Thanx for the help everyone! This is really useful

My old Strat was never really good to begin with. I was 14, bought it second hand, and had no clue what I was doing. I got the LP soon after that. I only kept the strat all these years because I liked the looks of it (white).
So how it played? Well crap...but that probably had nothing to do with a Strat in general.

The Tele played good, but I think I prefer the Jaguar sound. I just never actually played one. Which is kind of silly since it's on top of my list.

Didn't know the Reverend Guitars yet. But damn they look nice!! Thank you for that. Will see if I can find them somewhere.

This might sound really stupid (I apologize in advange), but what makes a Jaguar and Tele sound the way they do? Is it only the pick-ups? Or is it more than that? I mean, would it be possible to turn my old Strat into a semi-Jaguar with the right pick-ups and tremolo? I know it wouldn't be very time efficient and cost conscious. But it might be a fun thing to do.
Last edited by KathW at Sep 2, 2014,
The good news is that Revs are as good as they look.

The bad new is that Reverend is a small company. I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex, and the only stor I know of that carried them went to an Internet-only sales model. IOW, they closed their showroom. They have @40 dealers outside of North America, and might only have a hundred physical stores carrying them worldwide.

So finding one to try out is about as easy as trying out a Carvin outside of California.

If you're interested, I can help you find new or used ones.

As for making a Stratuar/Jagocaster...what makes a guitar sound the way it does is all of its elements in combination. Materials, scale length, neck type, pickups, electronics, etc.- all have a role to play.

Which is not to say that you couldn't get close.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 2, 2014,
Thanx. I'm in Europe, so I suppose finding a Reverend is gonna be challenging.
Probably just as challenging as turning my Strat into a Jaguar.
Quote by KathW
Thanx. I'm in Europe, so I suppose finding a Reverend is gonna be challenging.
Probably just as challenging as turning my Strat into a Jaguar.

Where in Europe?

Quote by KathW
At least the neck and pick-ups seem to be match.

Don't be deceived: some of the differences may be too subtle to notice by just looking. I heard that Squier Strat necks and pickguards won't fit on Fender Strats, and vice versa.

Not without some time in the workshed, at least.

And I'm pretty sure the Jag's pickups are differently voiced than the Strat's.

Quote by KathW
In the Netherlands.

There are 5 dealers listed in the Netherlands, according to this map.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/dealers-2/

Be warned, though: they don't update that map as often as they should. Some of those dealers on the world map no longer sell Reverend. Some aren't even in business anymore, or have changed names!

So, if there's a store on the map, contact them before you go for a visit.

Great! There's on in my area (Amsterdam). Will give them a ring soon.

@dannyalcatraz; I was hoping to just put Jag pick-ups on my Strat. This goes way beyond my technical knowledge.
Quote by KathW
Great! There's on in my area (Amsterdam). Will give them a ring soon.

I didn't look to see where they were located, but I found this website to be pretty up-to-date- they're showing models that were released in the past few months or so.
http://reverendguitars.nl/gitaren.html?p=1

And they have a list of dealers specific to the
Netherlands.
http://reverendguitars.nl/dealers.html

@dannyalcatraz; I was hoping to just put Jag pick-ups on my Strat. This goes way beyond my technical knowledge.

Mine too!

But, to be honest, you might be able to put Jag pups in a Strat. I simply don't know.

I bet you could get one of the custom pickup builders to wind you some that would DEFINITELY fit, but that would probably not be the wisest purchase.

That sounds expensive

The fact that I can not find any examples online, might suggest this is a bad idea.
Well, happy hunting!

I have to sign off for now- gotta catch some Zzzzs- but feel free to ask me anything via PM or in this thread.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Don't be deceived: some of the differences may be too subtle to notice by just looking. I heard that Squier Strat necks and pickguards won't fit on Fender Strats, and vice versa.

I can confirm that there are subtle differences on the pickguards.

The pickguard I put on my Squier when I modded it is a Fender Original Part, and the screw holes on it didn't align perfectly with the holes on the body.
The difference is tiny (a couple milimeters at the most), but it definitely exists.

As far as the necks go, I don't know.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
So yesterday I started sanding the old Strat, and the body seems to made of plywood.
Does anyone here has experience with painting this material? Don't think it's going to be easy.

The idea of a new guitar is getting more and more appealing.
did you ever play a fender mustang? you should try one, short scale length, smaller body so probably lighter weight.

i have heard that the squier jags don't have p-90s, that they've just got regular single coils under a p-90 cover. (though i have never looked myself maybe someone can confirm this).

anyway, good luck again.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Nice to know one of your balls is crystal! Went to a Brazillian churrascaria last night, and was basically in a meat coma the rest of the day...

nice.
Quote by KathW
So yesterday I started sanding the old Strat, and the body seems to made of plywood.
Does anyone here has experience with painting this material? Don't think it's going to be easy.

You have to use filler to create a surface as plain as possible.

My band's bass player repainted his old Maison bass. When the body was sanded, we too discovered that it is made of plywood.
Not enough filler was used, so a couple of days after painting some air bubbles started to appear on the finish surface. It had to be sanded and painted again.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by KathW

it wouldn't be easy.

you would use wood filler or grain filler like timbermate, then sand it level without removing too much filler/wood, which takes a bit of touch and talent at that kind of thing. not that you wouldn't be able to, just pointing out that a novice may not find that an easy task.
once that's level, you'd use primer or wood sealer, then paint, then clear over the top, wet sand, more clear, buff, polish etc.
If weight is the only thing that bothers you about the Epiphone Les Paul and you still like the sound, check out an Epiphone Ultra. They are chambered and weigh about 7 pounds (mine weighs 7.3 lbs.). I like the sound of a Fender Jaguar and had one for a few years but mine must have been lemon. The whammy/tremelo made it impossible to keep it in tune. Even the slightest touch was enough to put the guitar out of tune. (I never had that problem with Strats.) It sounded great when it was in tune but I gave up and traded it for a bass guitar. I have considered getting another Jaguar some day.
Good luck painting the guitar. I've got a fair amount of experience painting lots of things over the years and I'm having my current project painted by a pro, even though I could have bought a compressor and a paintgun for what it's going to cost me. I did the routing myself, even though the tools cost more than the work would have, but I've learned enough through dozens of projects to not try to paint a guitar myself.

Also if the neck on that Strat copy is warped, it might be tricky to get a replacement neck for it--real Fender necks and aftermarket Strat necks probably won't fit without a lot of work and/or shimming. Getting a neck to fit a neck pocket when they weren't made for each other can be a very difficult woodworking project (and very easy to screw up permanently).

The only Squire pickguards compatible with Fender pickguards are the Squier Standard Stratocaster series. On all the other Squier models they've made them with such loose tolerances and in so many different factories that you can't even consistently swap them between guitars in the same series. I had to have my upgraded Affinity Strat guard custom made and traced from the original pickguard.

Alos if you're thinking about converting a Strat into a Jag, the Jag guard goes beyond the wood countour on a Strat at the bottom. And you'd have to route a new trem cavity--it would be so close to the left side of the guitar that the edge would stick out past the rounded edge of the body (see your charts). And the screw holding in the lower strap button would intrude on the trem.
Quote by Black'n'Tan
Good luck painting the guitar. I've got a fair amount of experience painting lots of things over the years and I'm having my current project painted by a pro, even though I could have bought a compressor and a paintgun for what it's going to cost me. I did the routing myself, even though the tools cost more than the work would have, but I've learned enough through dozens of projects to not try to paint a guitar myself.

Agreed.
If you want an impeccable paintjob/finish on your guitar and aren't 100% sure you can do it yourself, go to a professional.

Right now I have another guitar being painted by a friend of mine who's a woodworker (and has his own factory), who painted my Strat, because he did an excellent job and I wouldn't be able to get the same results myself.

Quote by Black'n'Tan
Also if the neck on that Strat copy is warped, it might be tricky to get a replacement neck for it--real Fender necks and aftermarket Strat necks probably won't fit without a lot of work and/or shimming. Getting a neck to fit a neck pocket when they weren't made for each other can be a very difficult woodworking project (and very easy to screw up permanently).

Again, it's a difficult job for someone without experience. TS, if you need to replace the neck and the new neck doesn't fit perfectly, take it to a professional. They can make it fit easily.

The guitar I just mentioned is being painted by a friend of mine is an old guitar from the '90s that I bought for 40€. It has a great neck, but slight intonation issues. Once I took the guitar apart I noticed that the neck didn't belong to that body, and that the neck cavity had been butchered to make that neck fit. The neck is 1cm too close to the bridge and very slightly out of alignment.
When I pointed that out to my friend, he quickly said "don't worry, that's an easy fix".

Quote by Black'n'Tan
The only Squire pickguards compatible with Fender pickguards are the Squier Standard Stratocaster series. On all the other Squier models they've made them with such loose tolerances and in so many different factories that you can't even consistently swap them between guitars in the same series. I had to have my upgraded Affinity Strat guard custom made and traced from the original pickguard.

As I said before on this thread, I've put a Fender pickguard on my Affinity Strat without any major issues, a couple of the screw holes were simply a tiny bit off. I didn't even bother to mess with the holes themselves, I simply put the screws in and they went into place.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman

As I said before on this thread, I've put a Fender pickguard on my Affinity Strat without any major issues, a couple of the screw holes were simply a tiny bit off. I didn't even bother to mess with the holes themselves, I simply put the screws in and they went into place.

Linkerman was lucky. With my (Chinese) Affinity, the guard was a couple of millimeters longer at the bridge, and one was wider than the other at the bridge (compared to my MIA Strat pickguard). There's no way an American guard would have fit on that Affinity--it was so far off that there wasn't any way to assess whether the screw holes would have lined up; you just couldn't get it on the guitar. Also there were less screws. The Affinity was made around 2006 or so. Maybe a guard for an MIM Strat would have fit; I didn't try that.
Quote by Black'n'Tan
Linkerman was lucky. With my (Chinese) Affinity, the guard was a couple of millimeters longer at the bridge, and one was wider than the other at the bridge (compared to my MIA Strat pickguard). There's no way an American guard would have fit on that Affinity--it was so far off that there wasn't any way to assess whether the screw holes would have lined up; you just couldn't get it on the guitar. Also there were less screws. The Affinity was made around 2006 or so. Maybe a guard for an MIM Strat would have fit; I didn't try that.

IMO, it's you who were unlucky. I've seen plenty of other customized Squier guitars in which the Fender pickguards fit without any major adjustments.

Also, if the pickguard was "a couple of millimeters longer at the bridge", maybe it was the bridge itself that was out of place, a couple of milimeters higher on the body than it should be.

You never had any intonation problems with that guitar?
How are the bridge saddles positioned? Screwed all the way in towards the edge of the bridge (springs completely compressed)?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
IMO, it's you who were unlucky. I've seen plenty of other customized Squier guitars in which the Fender pickguards fit without any major adjustments.

Also, if the pickguard was "a couple of millimeters longer at the bridge", maybe it was the bridge itself that was out of place, a couple of milimeters higher on the body than it should be.

You never had any intonation problems with that guitar?
How are the bridge saddles positioned? Screwed all the way in towards the edge of the bridge (springs completely compressed)?

No intonation problems with either the MIA Strat or the Squier Affinity.

BTW, I have another Fender MIA pickguard the factory lended me for mock-up work for a Strat we're working on together. I just checked it against both guitars; it lines up perfectly with all the dimensions on my MIA Strat, and it has the same differences from the Affinity that the MIA Strat guard had. The "Fender" pickguard you used on your Squier must have been one made for a MIM Strat if it even had the same number of screws. The MIA uses 11 screws and the Affinity uses 8. I just got my calipers out, and the bridge plate is shorter on the Squier. Also the distance from the pivot screw centers to the top of the bridge are different--those are 2 reasons the bottom of the pickguards have different dimensions while the scales are identical (hence no intonation problems on either guitar, with plenty of room for adjustment on both). Also, the bridge plate is about 1 mm wider on the Squier.

I haven't personally compared the Squier guard against MIM guards, but Squier's own documentation several years ago stated that the Squier Standard model was the only one that had consistent dimensions for the guard--they happen to match the MIA. Conversations with various aftermarket pick guard companies (WD, etc.) yielded similar information--none would link any of their guards with the Affinit and none would sell me a guard unless I sent them mine or a tracing of mine so they could cut one to match from scratch--most of them were the same price as the standard guards, so it's not like they were just trying to make extra money off a custom guard.
So after reading all this and getting some advice from guitar builders, I've decided to buy a Squier MV Jaguar afterall. I tried the Mustang as well (and a few other types and brands) and altough I really liked it, I prefered the little extra buttons and tremolo on the Jaguar. And besides, the Jaguar was a bit cheaper.

I will still continue fixing my Strat though. But the pressure of f*cking everything up is gone now. I figured the Strat was never gonna be as good as a new Squier without spending loads on it. And the paintjob was definitely going to be a problem. So we'll see how it turns out. Worst case scenario I have a useless guitar in a pretty colour hanging on my wall ;-)
Definitely need pix of the new axe! Maybe the "anew" axe as well!

What kind of finish are you thinking of for the Strat?

Will upload pix asap

I might go for an oak coloured wood-dye. Keep it as natural as possible.
Quote by Black'n'Tan
No intonation problems with either the MIA Strat or the Squier Affinity.

BTW, I have another Fender MIA pickguard the factory lended me for mock-up work for a Strat we're working on together. I just checked it against both guitars; it lines up perfectly with all the dimensions on my MIA Strat, and it has the same differences from the Affinity that the MIA Strat guard had. The "Fender" pickguard you used on your Squier must have been one made for a MIM Strat if it even had the same number of screws. The MIA uses 11 screws and the Affinity uses 8. I just got my calipers out, and the bridge plate is shorter on the Squier. Also the distance from the pivot screw centers to the top of the bridge are different--those are 2 reasons the bottom of the pickguards have different dimensions while the scales are identical (hence no intonation problems on either guitar, with plenty of room for adjustment on both). Also, the bridge plate is about 1 mm wider on the Squier.

I haven't personally compared the Squier guard against MIM guards, but Squier's own documentation several years ago stated that the Squier Standard model was the only one that had consistent dimensions for the guard--they happen to match the MIA. Conversations with various aftermarket pick guard companies (WD, etc.) yielded similar information--none would link any of their guards with the Affinit and none would sell me a guard unless I sent them mine or a tracing of mine so they could cut one to match from scratch--most of them were the same price as the standard guards, so it's not like they were just trying to make extra money off a custom guard.

Then I don't know what to tell you, all the Squier Affinity guitars I've come across had the 11-screw pickguard and the bridge had the same dimensions as a Fender bridge (not shorter and wider at all).

This is my own Affinity, before and after the modding job. You can clearly count the number of screws on the stock pickguard, and see how everything matches the brand-new Fender Original Parts pickguard (which fits Fender MIA Strats):

PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Then I don't know what to tell you, all the Squier Affinity guitars I've come across had the 11-screw pickguard and the bridge had the same dimensions as a Fender bridge (not shorter and wider at all).

This is my own Affinity, before and after the modding job. You can clearly count the number of screws on the stock pickguard, and see how everything matches the brand-new Fender Original Parts pickguard (which fits Fender MIA Strats):

Nice guitar! What year was it made and where? Maybe it was done in the same plant/during the same time as a run of Squier Standards so it was more cost effective to use that guard.

On the Squier website all the full-size Affinities have 8-screw guards like this:

http://www.fender.com/squier/guitars/stratocaster/affinity-series-stratocaster-rosewood-fingerboard-black/

A quick scan of Google images found mainly 8-screw guards on the Affinities, but also a large number of 11-screw guards--maybe 25% by the time I stopped checking.

Take care.
Quote by Black'n'Tan
Nice guitar! What year was it made and where?

Thanks! It was made in 2006 in Indonesia.

Quote by Black'n'Tan
Maybe it was done in the same plant/during the same time as a run of Squier Standards so it was more cost effective to use that guard.

On the Squier website all the full-size Affinities have 8-screw guards like this:

http://www.fender.com/squier/guitars/stratocaster/affinity-series-stratocaster-rosewood-fingerboard-black/

A quick scan of Google images found mainly 8-screw guards on the Affinities, but also a large number of 11-screw guards--maybe 25% by the time I stopped checking.

Take care.

Interesting.

So when they shifted production sites they also changed the pickguards and bridge being used. Probably some of the rest of the hardware as well.
Now that I think of it, it makes sense since all of my friends' modded Squier Affinity series Strats and Teles are a few years old.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I finally got my Jaguar! Unfortunately the setup was terrible.
According to the shop they did set it up and even played the guitar for a while. Which I think is BS.

There was no way of tuning it, the buzz was terrible, there was a loose saddle and well...see for yourself.

I'm no expert, but this doesn't seem like a good setup to me.

Since the shop is quite far away and I don't have time to go back there, I tried to set it up myself. After 3 hours I managed to reduce the buzz, and make the saddles stable enough for the strings to stay in place.
The action is still too high for me. But as soon as I lower the saddles, the buzz comes back again. So I might get a buzzstop for that.

As soon as I manage to "perfect" the setup, I will post a better review and some photos.
So far, I do love this guitar. ^_^
Congratulations on the new guitar!!! The neck might need an adjustment for you to get rid of the buzz, or the frets might need leveling. I wouldn't try either of these until you know what you're doing and have the right tools. I wouldn't trust most music stores for that either--you need to find a good luthier or guitar tech or get the right tools, study, and practice the adjustments on other guitars first.
First I will go over the differences between a Jaguar and a Tele. The sound is different because on a Tele there is a metal plate behind the bridge pickup that focuses the magnetic field and gives it that twang. Pair that up with the tele neck pickup being covered which mellows it out a bit. The other big difference is the bridge Break angle of the strings will affect the sound and Jaguars have a shallow break angle the Tele is at about 90 degree. I think the Jaguar has a 24 inch scale so that will change the tone quite a bit too. (Vs. 25.5 inch scale in the tele)

For my guitar recommendations I just got a Gretsch Pro Jet and I love it it is not that much more than what you are looking at. It looks like a Les Paul but it is chambered so it is lighter and the pickups are much brighter than those on a Paul so will work better for indie stuff.
Page 1 of 2