Had a nasty accident with a knife about 5 weeks ago. Slipped in my hand and cut 4 tendons on my pinky and ring finger. It was pretty nasty, my pinky went completely numb because the knife went so deep that it cut the artery and nerves also. Luckily i had surgery next day and now it's been hard work with hand therapy exercises.

Feeling kinda depressed, because i dont know when i'm able to play guitar and drums again...And dont know if i'm able to play as good as before.

Has anybody else had this kinda injury? If so, how did you recover?
I had a little accident that nearly ripped my hand off and it took me quite a time to recover from that. I have an very aggressive, fast only-downstroke playing so getting my hand used to this again was pretty heavy.

I exercised as much as I could, you just have to know wether it hurts because it's too much, or it hurts because you're just getting used to it again. Until now I sometimes still have pain when I'm playing and it takes me very very long to warm up - but all in all I'm happy, nothing besides the little pain and the warm up thing has changed, I'm even getting faster.

Hope you get well soon!
Error 404 - Signature not available.
I got pretty nasty burns on my arm when I was drunk and being an idiot.
The burns did some damage (insert science here) and the grip in my right hand basically just went, as well as the index, ring and pinky fingers being near completely numb.

Doing a lot of simple tasks was pretty much impossible. Just gripping things in general was a nightmare since I couldn't put enough 'force' into gripping to hold onto anything that wasn't super light and easy to hold (like a sponge).
Masturbation was hard since it was like getting jacked off by a limp spastic (but that didn't stop me trying)

Guitar was arguably possible considering I still had somewhat good use of my thumb and pointer so I could still hold a pick, though the grip was still weak in those fingers meaning that if I tried anything such as tremolo picking (or just playing fast in general) the pick would just fall right out of my hand...As well as me not being able to get to the speeds I was able to before hand. Palm muting was also hassle since I couldn't feel the strings properly under my hand, so I would either apply too much or too little pressure.

All I can say is, hang in there.
Eventually my hand gained a lot/all of its strength back and a lot of feeling has come back to it (still a little 'numb' but nearly perfect). I'm able to play guitar at the same level as I was beforehand and masturbation is as fun a task as ever. If anything, it feels like I never had the accident at all anymore.
Providing the doctor says you will heal up properly, just stick to any and all exercises they tell you to do and you'll be golden. Oh, and don't lose any motivation if any of your musical skill is lost, just hop back into a practice routine and work your way back into it.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
My dad is a carpenter (of sorts) and one time he cut a few of his fingers on a table saw, including almost completely cutting off his index finger. HE went to the hospital and they fixed him up, but he had to wear this weird splint thing on his hand that looked mega cool. I'll see if I can find a pic.
EDIT: Not him but the same contraption he had.
Last edited by Skullivan at Sep 1, 2014,
Quote by Skullivan
My dad is a carpenter (of sorts) and one time he cut a few of his fingers on a table saw, including almost completely cutting off his index finger. HE went to the hospital and they fixed him up, but he had to wear this weird splint thing on his hand that looked mega cool. I'll see if I can find a pic.
EDIT: Not him but the same contraption he had.

Almost like the splint i had to wear for the first 4 weeks. How did your dad's fingers recover?

Ands thanks guys for the support
The biggest thing I think as far as guitar goes is getting the actual strength back in your pinky. A flexibility issue you'd be able to work with, but strength will be your biggest hurdle. Stick with the therapy, and if you can, see if you can find one of those finger exerciser thingies. You might not get it back to full strength, but you'll get it as close as possible.

Best of luck, man, that's terrible. I wish I'd taken it easy after I got thrown over the bars of my dirtbike a while back (actually that one almost killed me as well), it did a real number on my lumbar. If I'd been responsible with recovery it'd probably be fine, but hey. Young and stupid and all that dumb shit.

But again, absolute best of luck man.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by t0mm1_
Almost like the splint i had to wear for the first 4 weeks. How did your dad's fingers recover?

As far as I know he's all good, got his strength back and everything. This was 7-8 years ago though so if anything didn't work he's probably gotten used to it by now