..Hello,

Instead of spending a fortune on a name brand guitar, instead heres what i do:

I buy a cheap Rondo guitar, its neat cuz i pick the shape, color and string count whatever..in this case i bought a Douglas strat w a floyd rose trem which i love!.. vintage sunburst w black edges, the paint jobs on these guitars are amazing...

I then take off all the strings and replace the pick ups < i like guitar fetish personally, vintage extra hot and crunchy rails are my fave, anyways i solder the new pups in..

I then remove the neck and level,crown and polish all the frets...this took trial and error but after doing a few guitars i got pretty efficient at it, and i never destroyed any guitar...i love low action, hate jumbo frets and found that these guitars always have some high frets from the factory and harsh shipping conditions..

New strings and some minor truss rod tweaking and bridge adjustment and wa la, a real player...the neck adjustments usually take a few days has the wood needs to settle, but man i get low action w no buzz and pure bliss all for under 2 bills!
On a side note , the pros play name brands because they are endorsed by them and given many free guitars, they are customized and modded to the point that the only original thing left is the name..its gay to play a Washburn or Gibson because your hero has one, im not getting suckered into that..

Also i dont care about resale value, if i sell them for half what i paid than im content, i get my moneys worth and dont care< a $2,000 guitar is hard to sell in this economy and im tired of douches w expensive guitars that cant play one song start to finnish and just buy this stuff to look cool...
Yes a cheap guitar can be decent and a great player.

Most pros do not get free gear, but they get it at whole sale price. They play what they like and a lot are expensive guitars.

Most people don't do their own fret leveling and most of the time a "high-end guitar" is good on the fit/finish aspect and at most need the action set to their preference.

Don't hate on people who play expensive instruments. Maybe I bought my PRS for a life long instrument that I can hand down to my son?

And a side note, my PRS is made with better QC and materials than Rondo will ever be.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm with you 100% on this. Get a cheap guitar and learn how to get it up to speed. It is a rewarding and useful hobby in its own right.

Robbgnarly, I've always been very cynical about what big name players use; I think for now I'll just keep assuming it has a lot to do with sponsorships. It would be a good topic for a new thread. And think Seasick Steve and Ry Cooder.
Quote by Tony Done
I'm with you 100% on this. Get a cheap guitar and learn how to get it up to speed. It is a rewarding and useful hobby in its own right.

Robbgnarly, I've always been very cynical about what big name players use; I think for now I'll just keep assuming it has a lot to do with sponsorships. It would be a good topic for a new thread. And think Seasick Steve and Ry Cooder.

All my friends that are pretty big players still pay for their gear, they get a hell of a deal on it, but they still pay. For example my friend was endorsed by Mesa and with his endorsement he paid $900 for a brand new Dual recto. Their band is now endorsed by Orange and he had to pay $1100 for his Thunderverb. The same goes for his Gibson endorsement, he gets so many a year at a reduced price and if he buys x amount he will get a free one.

See what most people fail to see is the "big" names that play the gear are also making the big money, yes some do get free and even paid to play a certain brand, but 99% of those guys are the guys with sig gear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

See what most people fail to see is the "big" names that play the gear are also making the big money, yes some do get free and even paid to play a certain brand, but 99% of those guys are the guys with sig gear

I wonder how long it is since Tommy Emmanuel bought a Maton? I remember years ago there was a TV doco about him, and there he was in his living room with all these guitars propped up uncomfortably against his sofa. They all looked liked they'd been posed for one of the Victorian era photos. Maybe it was just a bad prop idea by the director, but it didn't look good to me. We also have a soapy here called "Neighbours", in which acoustics guitar feature fairly often; they are always very visibly Matons.
Quote by Tony Done
I wonder how long it is since Tommy Emmanuel bought a Maton? I remember years ago there was a TV doco about him, and there he was in his living room with all these guitars propped up uncomfortably against his sofa. They all looked liked they'd been posed for one of the Victorian era photos. Maybe it was just a bad prop idea by the director, but it didn't look good to me. We also have a soapy here called "Neighbours", in which acoustics guitar feature fairly often; they are always very visibly Matons.

But again you are talking about a handful of guys that get free gear or get paid to use them. compare that to the mass of people that are actually endorsed. many company's will not give free gear to anyone.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've been playing and collecting guitars for over 30yrs...I agree that that there are some very good quality guitars available today, in fact I have bought 2 guitars from Rondo Music and am impressed.

With that said, if you ever played my Custom Shop Strat, 62 Les Paul or 72 Flying V you would know why these instrument are expensive and sought after by the best guitar players in the world.

Only a douce such as yourself would criticize someone who wants to play the best.

Play with your toys and someday you might be able to afford a legend.
Quote by 260BPM
..its gay to play a Washburn or Gibson because your hero has one, im not getting suckered into that..

Is this parody?
It's always the sad angry middle-aged men who want to come and share their unsolicited wisdom. There's usually a nice ring of judgement, homophobia, bitterness, and poor grammar going on too. This checks so many boxes it's tragic.
Quote by Roc8995
Is this parody?
It's always the sad angry middle-aged men who want to come and share their unsolicited wisdom. There's usually a nice ring of judgement, homophobia, bitterness, and poor grammar going on too. This checks so many boxes it's tragic.

I couldn't say it better my self.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I am a huge believer in the best tone comes from hours upon hours of practice and exploration not how much you drop on your gear. For the most part a entry level name brand guitar will most likely be able to perform as good as i will ever be (not a professional.. just like playing guitar). That being said i have a decent job and enjoy having nice equipment... i never bash entry level stuff nor do I gloat with the totally out of my league equipment i own. Although this definitely falls into the "unsolicited wisdom" category the only bad instrument is the one collecting dust and not being played.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Practice more, play what you like. Good things come from dumb threads sometimes! The 'unsolicited' part was about making a thread proclaiming your opinion. Responses, especially like yours, are great and often way more useful than the original.... "idea"
That's just as bs as my saying low action is for light-picking hacks who have no finger strength
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Quote by Robbgnarly
But again you are talking about a handful of guys that get free gear or get paid to use them. compare that to the mass of people that are actually endorsed. many company's will not give free gear to anyone.

Yeah, I didn't mean it to come across as typical, just as a fairly obvious example. Another one I thought of came up recently in another forum. - All the appropriate finalists (eg singer-songwriters) in one of the US's big talent shows (A's Got Talent?) were hauled off down to a guitar shop (LA Guitars maybe) to pick up new Taylors.
Quote by Tony Done
Yeah, I didn't mean it to come across as typical, just as a fairly obvious example. Another one I thought of came up recently in another forum. - All the appropriate finalists (eg singer-songwriters) in one of the US's big talent shows (A's Got Talent?) were hauled off down to a guitar shop (LA Guitars maybe) to pick up new Taylors.

So what is your point? Those people are not endorsed, the received a gift from a sponsor of the show. Completely different

And AGT is a pretty lame show IMO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
So what is your point? Those people are not endorsed, the received a gift from a sponsor of the show. Completely different

And AGT is a pretty lame show IMO

I dunno, I see it as much the same thing, it is intended to bend the audience's perception of what goes on or what is ncessary in the real world. Eg, that everyone who is successful as a performer plays a Taylor. Applying a little hocus pocus, you won't in a talent show if ya don't play a Taylor, you won't play like Clapton if you don't do it on a little black strat with is name attached to it.
Quote by Tony Done
I dunno, I see it as much the same thing, it is intended to bend the audience's perception of what goes on or what is ncessary in the real world. Eg, that everyone who is successful as a performer plays a Taylor. Applying a little hocus pocus, you won't in a talent show if ya don't play a Taylor, you won't play like Clapton if you don't do it on a little black strat with is name attached to it.

The difference is the endorsement.

I like Clapton on an SG or LP personally in a little band called Cream.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Clapton can sound good playing anything...and I found years ago so can I. Yes I'm serious, I found that out over 30 years ago when I played a plastic toy guitar (on a dare) at a department store and drew a crowd. They actually wouldn't let me leave till I played another song...I was amazed, told a friend I could make any guitar sound good so he grinned, grabbed the plastic toy one we happened to be walking by and told me "OK make this one sound good"...OOPS...surprised even me. But I've played old beat up off brand acoustics with rusty strings, you name it, and made them sound good. That's the difference between a guitar player and a musician. (I can also play sax, drums, keys, bass, flute, clarinet, trumpet, a little mandolin...)

I've been playing over 50 years, I've played just about every big name guitar you can think of, some are really nice, some I put back on the shelf. I have 7 right now, including a Takamine acoustic and a Electromuse lap steel, most are inexpensive guitars. A little work and a no name telecaster copy is playable but not great, Squier strat (in my avatar) is my favorite, plays and sounds better than most American made Fenders I've played, Cort CL 1500 is fabulous, but not exactly cheap, Peavey Patriot is a real sleeper I'll never let go...

I've played ancient Silvertone and Kay acoustics and gotten a good sound, although many are not easy to play, necks like baseball bats. Most of the newer stuff I find in music stores I wouldn't let my cat use for scratching posts. I always check out cheaper guitars, if it sounds good unplugged and has a decent neck, it has potential. I wish I had kept the Lotus Les Paul copy I traded years ago, big mistake, a friend played it and didn't like his Gibson SG any more...I must have been out of my mind to trade that one away, and always regretted it. My old Epiphone acoustic was stolen, I put it in a room with a 1957 Fender, fairly new Alvarez, almost new 1980's Sigma acoustic, and the $100 Epiphone was the one everyone would grab. I rarely got to play my own guitar...didn't mind though, it was fun listening to everyone else on my guitar, and see how much they really liked it.

Point is, a guitar doesn't have to be a high dollar big name instrument to be a good one. All I had to do to the Epiphone was a set up. Replaced the bridge saddle with a bone one and a little tweaking here and there, and it was a killer guitar for a tenth of what the others in that room cost. Same for the Squier Strat, under 2 bills and a little work, it's a great playing and sounding guitar for a fraction of what a top of the line American Strat would cost. Also have a 1966 Harmony, $2 at a yard sale, a little work and it plays and sounds great. Fat neck though. But I still use it onstage all the time, a lot for slide.

The Peavey and Cort are different breeds, both very nice guitars, but both very good quality as well. All the Peavey needed was strings and a setup, and it was also under $200 used.

Some of the more expensive guitars are great, but more and more I find you have to be picky, quality and craftsmanship seem to be going away these days. But once you get your hands on a 50 year old strat or Les Paul that's a good one, you'll know why most pros use them but rarely take them on the road where they can get beat around...

I'e had several other cheap guitars that eventually got sold, but every one of them was in good playing condition shortly after I got them, usually just a little work and a decent setup is all I have to do. But I'll swap out pickups if I have to, usually don't though unless they really suck.

The guitar is only part of your sound, most of it is in your fingers. I can grab any guitar, plug it into any tube amp, and sound like me. David Gilmour or Eric Clapton can do the same thing. Ditto for any pro you want to name, that's why you see them onstage with different guitars and amps and they always sound like themselves. Clapton, for example, has used Strats, Les Pauls, SGs, 335's, probably telecasters, and Marshall, Fender and Music Man amps. And he always sounds like Clapton. Ditto for Joe Walsh, Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Billy Gibbons, virtually every guitar player you can think of. I've seen John Mayer on concert TV shows playing several Strats, a SG, Les Pauls, a 335, several different usually Fender amps, he always sounds like John Mayer...

It's more in your fingers than the guitar.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
Snipped for brevity

It's more in your fingers than the guitar.

I agree with all of that.

These days I can't see any useful correlation between price and sound or playability in flattop acoustic guitars until you get into the boutique makers like Bourgeois. However, I admit I'm picky because I like resettable necks, not use-once-and-throw-away. There is even less logical support for expensive in electrics when you consider how easy it is to change pickups and hardware, or build a Warmoth bitsa. In resos, there seems to be a relationship between price and performance, but I think even there the gap is narrowing, and I suspect the same is true of archtops - Eastmans are acquiring a killer reputation.
Last edited by Tony Done at Sep 5, 2014,
^ Clapton is great, but IMO his best was with Cream. Come on almost 48 yrs later and the music of Cream is still amazing. And Cream was 10 yrs before me
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate