So I just took all the strings off my guitar. Polished the neck and gently scraped some gunk out of the frets.

When I restrung it I'm getting horrible buzz, almost a dead tone, on the g string 9th fret. 8 and ten sound a little weak but the rest sounds fine.

Figure I need to bring it to a luthier but wanted to check here first if their was an easy fix
Did you change to a higher gauge string set? If so, you may need to raise your bridge or even adjust the Truess Rod VERY VERY slightly.
Quote by fragydig529
Did you change to a higher gauge string set? If so, you may need to raise your bridge or even adjust the Truess Rod VERY VERY slightly.

Oh. That might be it. I thought I might have messed up a fret while cleaning the gunk out, but I did go from 9s to 10s. Would that create buzzing on just one fret of one string?
What were you cleaning the frets with? And what type of guitar, if it's a cheap-ish brand and you used something rigid, you could have wedged it slightly out of place, inspect that fret make sure it still lines up with the others.

[EDIT]
And to answer your question, what's buzzing is actually one of the higher frets, so when you're pressing the string down, at that particular fret, when it vibrates after being strummed/picked, it is coming into contact with a higher fret wire.

See check them all from the 8th fret down. Id say, from experience that it's probably about 5-8 frets above where you're fretting.
Last edited by fragydig529 at Sep 1, 2014,