I've started school recently and I have a $800 ESP LTD MH 1000 NT sitting in its case and a FG700S sitting in its original box for over two months both without use. Do guitars wear out over time even without use? I would believe so since the strings cause tension. But yeah, just want to know if it will be fine. Don't want to feel like crap knowing that if i'm not playing it it's wearing out by the second either way.
Not necessarily. If it's in its case and the humidity is okay (which it probably is) it will be fine. If anything it may need a truss rod adjustment. There are stories out there of guitars from the 60s and 70s left in the case in a closet for 40-50 years and they come out in the same condition they went in, mint. It's like keeping a 60s or 70s muscle car garaged and never driving it, it will be exactly the same as when you left it, save for some dust maybe.

The single worst thing for a guitar is the person playing it. Acidic and salty sweat causes 90% of wear and corrosion on a guitar. They are pretty much better off not being played. But that defeats the purpose, doesn't it :P.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
they can deteriorate if not protected from the elements.

frets can lift out as the fretboard dries out and shrinks in a low humidity environment. string tension increases over time as the strings rot and can cause neck warpage. plenty of shit can happen.

it doesn't mean that anything will happen though. plenty of guitars survived for decades in cases under beds. time capsules essentially.

it just depends on the environment it's kept in. how well the case seals etc etc.

edit: sniped.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 1, 2014,
Some people believe that instruments lose resonance if not played. The number of musicians playing live shows with vintage cheapo guitars that sat in closets or under beds for decades suggests that this is a fairy tale.
The Second Law of Thermodynamics tells us that all things end, used or not.

With proper care and storage, it may take hundreds or even thousands of years, but eventually, any instrument will succumb to entropy.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by TheStig1214
Not necessarily. If it's in its case and the humidity is okay (which it probably is) it will be fine. If anything it may need a truss rod adjustment. There are stories out there of guitars from the 60s and 70s left in the case in a closet for 40-50 years and they come out in the same condition they went in, mint. It's like keeping a 60s or 70s muscle car garaged and never driving it, it will be exactly the same as when you left it, save for some dust maybe.

Now I want to buy a brand new guitar and store and see what its like in a few decades lol.

Don't sweat it OP, just keep it a reasonable temps and it will come out nearly perfect when you need it.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Second Law of Thermodynamics tells us that all things end, used or not.

With proper care and storage, it may take hundreds or even thousands of years, but eventually, any instrument will succumb to entropy.

The sun will go red giant and destroy the entire solar system first.
Quote by JGM258
Now I want to buy a brand new guitar and store and see what its like in a few decades lol.

Don't sweat it OP, just keep it a reasonable temps and it will come out nearly perfect when you need it.

Awesome. So basically if I keep both of them in there where I mentioned and the temperature in the room is good (it's never hot in my room to the point where I'm sweating or anything so I'm guessing the temp is fairly good) then the guitars will come out of that case the exact same conditon that it was when I first put it in there?
It would be best if you tuned the FG-700 down at least 2 semitones. The soundboards of acoustics have a habit of puffing up behind the bridge, and sinking in front of it. The necks also lift. Both issues raise the actions. Acoustics are more fragile than solid body electrics, and at the same time, they have a lot more string tension on them.
Quote by Granata
I've started school recently and I have a $800 ESP LTD MH 1000 NT sitting in its case and a FG700S sitting in its original box for over two months both without use. Do guitars wear out over time even without use? I would believe so since the strings cause tension. But yeah, just want to know if it will be fine. Don't want to feel like crap knowing that if i'm not playing it it's wearing out by the second either way.

Guitars don't wear out by themselves (even with the neck under tension). But the strings can corrode over time. I store my guitars with a VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) in the case. Check theruststore.com for them. They run about $10, and last a year or so.

Otherwise, I've got guitars from 1939 that are like new and that play beautifully. If taken care of, the guitars will easily outlive you.
Quote by Granata
Awesome. So basically if I keep both of them in there where I mentioned and the temperature in the room is good (it's never hot in my room to the point where I'm sweating or anything so I'm guessing the temp is fairly good) then the guitars will come out of that case the exact same conditon that it was when I first put it in there?

Well you might need a truss rod adjustment and a new set of strings obviously but yeah the guitar will be fine.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112