Is economy picking worth it? I mean, is it worth the extra time to sit down and learn a song slowly using a mix of alt-picking/economy picking? Or should I not bother and just continue to alt-pick? (I find alt-picking more comfortable)
Last edited by JJ1994 at Sep 1, 2014,
From my experience economy picking is something that comes naturally and I imagine it's the same for other guitarists. We don't sit down and learn a piece of music and consciously think of the most economic way of playing it.
Economy picking is all fine and good for slower styles like the blues or classic rock but if you're regularly playing metal, learn to alternate pick. I really regretted not learning proper alternate picking when I started to get into shred/neo-classical style music.
Quote by darrenram1
Economy picking is all fine and good for slower styles like the blues or classic rock but if you're regularly playing metal, learn to alternate pick. I really regretted not learning proper alternate picking when I started to get into shred/neo-classical style music.

Michael Romeo from Symphony X uses a lot of economy picking and I'd say its definitely worth learning/practicing it. That isn't to say you solely use either alternate or economy picking, but a mixture of both based on what feels comfortable and what is most economic.
If you want to use the sound of economy picking then learn it. If not, there is nothing wrong with just alternate picking.

Economy picking can be useful to learn if you plan on doing a lot of sweeping or raking but it really depends what you're playing (most sweeps can be rewritten as string skipped licks for example).
Yes it's worth it, as learning pretty much any new technique is, for me though it took over, but it's way better for a lot of stuff and smoother sounding. If you can alt pick and sweep good it's pretty easy to learn

also IMO it's way better for neo and shred stuff, those who do it swear by it. It is absolutely faster than alt, gilbert aside
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 2, 2014,
Quote by Tempoe
Yes it's worth it, as learning pretty much any new technique is, for me though it took over, but it's way better for a lot of stuff and smoother sounding. If you can alt pick and sweep good it's pretty easy to learn

also IMO it's way better for neo and shred stuff, those who do it swear by it. It is absolutely faster than alt, gilbert aside

While Gilbert is a monster even he sometimes uses legato to give him time to get his pick where it needs to be. Yngwie uses Economy picking as does Jeff Loomis and Synyster Gates absolutely swears by it.

I use it for everything (I can't strict alt pick) and it's great for 3nps shredding. I like it so much I've never felt the need to learn strict alternate picking.
Economy isn't faster than alternate picking though, it's just easier to play some common shred licks with economy. There are plenty of licks which have to be played with alternate picking.
^ have to disagree there, thats almost like saying sweeping isn't faster. It is faster, less picking more ECONOMIC = faster. Obviously single string alt is the fastest but between strings its faster especially if you can work 3nps or 1nps parts of scales
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 2, 2014,
This is a 3 nps "part of a scale" lick:

G -------5-7-8--------5-7-8-
D -5-7-8--------5-7-8-------

There is no way you could pick this faster with economy picking compared to alternate picking.

The thing with economy picking is that the majority of licks will require you to also use alternate picking. Even if you arrange the lick such that there are no alternate picking string crosses required, you'll still need to alternate pick any notes on the same string.
Quote by Anon17
This is a 3 nps "part of a scale" lick:

G -------5-7-8--------5-7-8-
D -5-7-8--------5-7-8-------

There is no way you could pick this faster with economy picking compared to alternate picking.

The thing with economy picking is that the majority of licks will require you to also use alternate picking. Even if you arrange the lick such that there are no alternate picking string crosses required, you'll still need to alternate pick any notes on the same string.

Economy picking just means you are picking in the direction you are moving. You use alternate picking until you change strings.

So in that context I'd play that lick:
d-u-d-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-u-d

After the 4th note it just becomes alternate picking, while still following the rule of economy picking.

Sometimes when you change strings you are both strict alternate picking AND picking in the direction you are moving.

If I play the lick
u-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-u-d

This way is straight alternate picking but you are still always picking in the direction you are moving.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Sep 3, 2014,
I know what economy picking is...

There is no point playing that lick with economy since as you said it becomes alternate after one repetition anyway, meaning you need to play the lick to speed with alternate so learning it with economy (if you do DUDDUD at the start) is pointless.

Playing the lick UDUDUD etc is alternate picking it. It might also be technically economy picking it but it just proves my point that you need to be good at alternate picking to be good at economy picking anyway.
Do what works. While physically economy picking is more efficient, it is still faster to do something that's slightly less efficient but rhythmically makes more sense to you. Everyone's different, some people (Paul Gilbert) find alternate picking gives them a consistent rhythm while to others, economy picking makes sense so it's easier than to forcefully alternate pick.

Regardless of which you do, unless you're trying to break the world record or something, both can achieve a speed that's more than enough to cover your playing. Unless like I said you're trying to play something that approaches the boundary of human picking speed. So personally, I think it's best to go with whichever makes more sense or is more comfortable to you as that helps with speed more than whether you're using strict alternate or economy picking. And it doesn't hurt to try/learn both but it's perfectly fine to prefer one over the other.