Research indicates that we are biased towards instant rather than delayed gratification. It is better to snort 5 grams of coke this evening than 8 grams in 48 hours
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Research indicates that we are biased towards instant rather than delayed gratification. It is better to snort 5 grams of coke this evening than 8 grams in 48 hours

Yeah I suppose if I could have 5 grams now I'd be pretty happy...
Quote by KingEuphoric
Lindsey Sterling surprise show

I mean it's great publicity, it's great for the fans, it's basically free advertising, and for me personally at least, it makes me want to go see them in concert more. Just seems like a no brainer.

You have no idea how much it costed to produce that, have you ?
The promotional benefits happen if it happens to be promoted. Also, usually the first type of professional promotion is usually paid in order to impulse the rest of the media. So, add that to production + post-production costs + an almost entire reliance on word-of-mouth. It's a lot.

Also, relatively big artists don't need to promote themselves like that because they're already relatively big, that's why you almost have never heard of artists who make stunts like this. It's a gamble, and a costly gamble that may work or may not. Even if your video is shared like hell, it may only consist of people sharing it 'cause it's cool, but they don't even remember her name; she's just, that violinist chick who did that cool thing.

Relatively big bands could do it, but mostly they don't need to, and even if they do, don't think they get that much out of it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and don't forget that you need a licence in order to do that, and, let me tell you, it's not cheap.
Quote by seventh_angel
The promotional benefits happen if it happens to be promoted. Also, usually the first type of professional promotion is usually paid in order to impulse the rest of the media. So, add that to production + post-production costs + an almost entire reliance on word-of-mouth. It's a lot.

Also, relatively big artists don't need to promote themselves like that because they're already relatively big, that's why you almost have never heard of artists who make stunts like this. It's a gamble, and a costly gamble that may work or may not. Even if your video is shared like hell, it may only consist of people sharing it 'cause it's cool, but they don't even remember her name; she's just, that violinist chick who did that cool thing.

Relatively big bands could do it, but mostly they don't need to, and even if they do, don't think they get that much out of it.

A fair point. It's mostly for selfish reasons, but I'd still like to see more stuff like this.
Take this shit to Ultimate-ViolinAndDanceExtravaganzas.

But yeah, the answer is obviously because this is a ton of effort.

Great for the fans- it's a surprise show, so how great is it really for the odd fan in a crowd of random people?
Free advertising - Come on, this obviously cost a lot of money.
I don't see how it's a no-brainer since there aren't really that many upsides.
It's because she's a Mormon and most musicians aren't Mormons.

Hooray for Mormons they are the best
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by KingEuphoric
I'm not saying exactly like that, but just the concept. Also, any relatively big artist could definitely afford that and the promotional benefits would be unreal.

Why would a relatively big artist need to do something like that?
#DTWD
Closest thing I can think of was (members of) RATM doing those mini-concerts during various protests. Sure gave a lot of credibility to the act.

So yeah, if you count that one, it's not completely unheard of.
Last edited by godzillarissa at Sep 2, 2014,