Hi all,

I currently have a mexican strat. Bought it over 10 years ago. For the past 8 it's been sat there doing nothing. So I've cleaned her up and got her in decent working order.

The problem is the music I play has changed. I used to be into blues rock. Now I am playing heavier rock and was thinking about buying a new guitar that would give me a beefier sound. Then I thought it might be worth modifying the strat to get this sound. So the first stage would be replace the bridge pickup for a humbucker and turn it into a fat strat.

Now my question is should I go for a double slot humbucker and either cut my pick guard or buy a new one pre cut.... OR should I buy a single slot humbucker and simply slot it in the angled slot. I'm not quite sure what the effect of the angle with the single slot humbucker would have. I assume it makes the lows a bit warmer and the highs brighter. Is there anyone out there with experience in this that can give me some advice?
I can't really help because my only experience putting a humbucker into a strat involved a cheap Squier, an ibanez humbucker and some wood carving but lately I've been thinking about putting a hot rails in my MIM SSS strat... Seems line it'd be an easy swap.
I have a 2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster with Seymour Duncan JB Jr-pickups. Would definitely recommend them.

It is not going to sound exactly like a full sized humbucker, but it gets you close. As I see it, there are no reasons to cut into or change a pickguard when you can install one of these pickups. On the plus side, the Seymour Duncan Strat sized-pickups are designed to work with 250k pots (used stock on Stratocasters) on the contrary to regular humbuckers which are intended for use with different value pots.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Sep 2, 2014,
I haven't tried that many single-sized humbuckers, but the ones I've tried I haven't been that fussed on. If you can do it easily, I'd err on the side on a full-sized one, just so you know you gave it a proper shot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 to Dave's post.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Both options will technically work fine. The previously mentioned SD JB Jr is a great pickup, but may sound a hair thinner than a full size humbucker. I'd say have warmoth.com custom build you a HSS or HSH pickguard instead though. Should only be about $30-$40 and then you will have a lot more options.

If I'm ever thinking about a product simply because "it fits" then I'm probably going down the wrong path (in general, I realize this is a vague statement). Figure out the sound you want, research what products do that t sound and pick from there. Strats are heavily versatile in this respect.

In summary, I'd say go HSS with a Seymour Duncan JB (full size) but you won't hate yourself if you go with a single coil sized HB as they are (in principle) also a humbucker.
Last edited by scarecrow937 at Sep 2, 2014,
Quote by reverb66
If you're into heavier music just sell the Strat and get a new guitar.

This is also an option. Do mexi strats sell decently? If you want really chunky and heavy, Schecter is calling your name...
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 2, 2014,
^ used mexi strats are usually around $300-350 on average from what I've seen. If it were me I'd rather throw new pickups in this than buy a lower end humbucker guitar....of course the Jim Root in me drools at Fenders doing heavy sounds.

The JB jr. is pretty good really. I've only ran across it once. How about the Duncan Hot Rail as a suggestion?
Quote by scarecrow937
but you won't hate yourself if you go with a single coil sized HB as they are (in principle) also a humbucker.

Well i mean stacked single coils are (in principle) humbuckers too and they tend to sound like slightly less sparkly single coils. Heck taking it to ridiculous levels a P-Bass pickup is technically a humbucker too, and I don't think it'll do what he wants... Just because it's "technically a humbucker" doesn't necessarily mean all that much. It's the combination of factors/specifications/idiosyncracies that a full-sized Gibson-style humbucker has which makes it suitable for heavier music (and even with that, some full-sized Gibson-style humbuckers are better for heavier stuff than others), including (but not only) the fact it bucks the hum.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Well i mean stacked single coils are (in principle) humbuckers too and they tend to sound like slightly less sparkly single coils. Heck taking it to ridiculous levels a P-Bass pickup is technically a humbucker too, and I don't think it'll do what he wants... Just because it's "technically a humbucker" doesn't necessarily mean all that much. It's the combination of factors/specifications/idiosyncracies that a full-sized Gibson-style humbucker has which makes it suitable for heavier music (and even with that, some full-sized Gibson-style humbuckers are better for heavier stuff than others), including (but not only) the fact it bucks the hum.

Exactly, hence my recommendation. Single coil sized hb's will technically work and he "won't hate himself" , but full size is the way to go as it gives more options and would in general would be more proper and efficient at doing what the OP wanted.
Ah ok, agreed. Yeah I sort of homed in there on one thing you said and ignored the rest. Sorry
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Ah ok, agreed. Yeah I sort of homed in there on one thing you said and ignored the rest. Sorry

Haha... no worries mate. I worded my original response poorly. I had this mental image of him cutting into a pickguard instead of getting a new one and framed my response around that thought in my head. Never cut a pickguard unless you are trained and have the proper equipment, especially on such a cheap part. It just looks like crap when guards are not cut professionally, so I threw out options of new pickguard and pickup (my preference) vs single coil spaced HB.

We're on the same page! Lol
Last edited by scarecrow937 at Sep 3, 2014,
I've poured hundred of dollars into my old strat and could never get the sound I like, changed the pickups, changed the neck nut, changed the strings, got a new setup, it was just a big money pit for me. You're better off selling your strat and buying another guitar used with 2 humbuckers. At this point, you're only attached to the name because your guitar doesn't sound good.
Quote by scarecrow937
Haha... no worries mate. I worded my original response poorly. I had this mental image of him cutting into a pickguard instead of getting a new one and framed my response around that thought in my head. Never cut a pickguard unless you are trained and have the proper equipment, especially on such a cheap part. It just looks like crap when guards are not cut professionally, so I threw out options of new pickguard and pickup (my preference) vs single coil spaced HB.

We're on the same page! Lol

yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?