Page 1 of 2
article: http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/120654/Twice-the-music-half-the-time

Want to listen to a shorter tune by Justin Timberlake? Or maybe a cut-down version of Katy Perry's latest hit?

An Alberta radio station is promising listeners "twice the music" by cutting all of its song times in half, to an average of two minutes.

The station, 90.3 Amp (CKMP) in Calgary, changed to a format called QuickHitz one week ago.

Its owner, Newcap Radio, describes the switch as a first for a radio station in Canada and perhaps the world.

Steve Jones, vice-president of programming for the company, said Friday that a few stations in the United States have adopted the short song strategy part-time trial. But the Calgary station is the first he knows of that has made the move permanently, around-the-clock.

The company spent two years analysing behaviour of its radio listeners, Jones said. It found that people's attention spans have changed when it comes to music and they often listen to portions of songs or fast-forward through tunes on their iPods.

"The idea of three-and-a-half- and four-minute songs goes back to the 50s and 60s and the need to be on a 45 RPM record, to be in juke boxes and on the radio," said Jones.

So he said Newcap decided to scrap the established formula and try something new.

"There's been a lot of excitement about the idea that you can listen to a radio station for 15 minutes and hear six or seven or eight songs and feel that sense of momentum and energy."

A company in Vancouver, SparkNet Communications, supplies the QuickHitz sliced songs to the Calgary station. Jones said professional music producers take out long intros and repeated choruses, and make the shorter versions sound seamless.

He said the Calgary station was selected because it's in a tight top 40 market in a city that's relatively young and progressive.

Some of the company's other 89 stations may someday adopt the same format, he said, depending on their audience.

He admits the mini music move isn't for everyone, and that the Calgary station has received both good and bad reaction.

"We're very comfortable with not everyone liking the radio station. That's to be expected."

Calgary singer Jann Arden vented on Twitter that the station is basically messing with art and, amid expletives, called the people running it "morons."

"Can anyone recommend half a good book I should read?" she wrote.

"The NHL is only having one period this season. Makes sense. Those games are just too long."

Jones said editing songs for radio play has been done for decades. For instance, he said, Don McLean's classic American Pie was cut to four minutes from 7.5 so it could be played on air.

"This idea that somehow music is sacred and should never be tampered with is ludicrous."

He said no other artists or record labels have complained about the editing.

And the Calgary station doesn't play Jann Arden.

"That has nothing to do with the fact that she's taken to the Internet in a rage of hatred against us," Jones said. "It really is the fact that her music isn't suited to the format and hasn't been for decades."

Newcap Radio owns K96.3 and Country 100.7 in Kelowna.

grindcore's getting closer and closer to trending lol
Last edited by Dregen at Sep 2, 2014,
Half the thread

TL;DR: An Alberta radio station is promising listeners "twice the music" by cutting all of its song times in half, to an average of two minutes.
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by slash_GNR666
Half the thread

TL;DR: An Alberta radio station is promising listeners "twice the music" by cutting all of its song times in half, to an average of two minutes.

case in point
Pop songs are ridiculously short as it is. This is obviously the radio station for people with terribly low attention spans.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
This happened a while ago and they've already said they're not doing it. Too many artists threatened them with litigation.

ahhh

one of my professors just mentioned it today during class so i thought there might be a little interest. i don't listen to the radio, i was just appalled by the cultural significance i guess.

edit: i guess saying i don't listen to the radio when my user title is a reference to The Killers is a little ironic
Last edited by Dregen at Sep 2, 2014,
Quote by Dregen
grindcore's getting closer and closer to trending lol

one day :')
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Dregen
ahhh

one of my professors just mentioned it today during class so i thought there might be a little interest. i don't listen to the radio, i was just appalled by the cultural significance i guess.

It is crazy that we've come to a point where a 4 minute tune is too long for peoples' attention spans.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It is crazy that we've come to a point where a 4 minute tune is too long for peoples' attention spans.

I'll take a 30 minute Bach tune over these shitty 2 minute tunes any day! HARRUMMPH!
"The idea of three-and-a-half- and four-minute songs goes back to the 50s and 60s and the need to be on a 45 RPM record, to be in juke boxes and on the radio," said Jones.

is this nigga serious
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'll take a 30 minute Bach tune over these shitty 2 minute tunes any day! HARRUMMPH!

'Bach tune'
I think 4 minutes is the ideal length for a song, at least if its verse/chorus structured. The ones the succeed are your epics like bohemian rhapsody or any pink floyd song, but even then they have a few that drag. Very few artist can pull off long songs and less are attempting it. I think the further we go into the future the shorter radio hits will become.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Yeah but youre admittedly crazy
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Eastwinn
'Bach tune'

Yes, Ean. TUNE.

Deal with it!

Quote by Wiegenlied
Yeah but youre admittedly crazy

Yes...
Quote by captainsnazz
i'm 12 and what is radio

holy crap I haven't seen this in a while
my e-wife
mdwallin

soundcloud
a stupid scrapbook for my music
Quote by MeTallIcA313
A lot of pop songs are stupidly repetitive, so no harm done.

think about it this way

>you're hearing a 'whole' song condensed into half the time
>song's rotation is faster
>you're going to hear that song twice as often

also, if you don't think that this could've been a sign of something awful culturally, as well as a precedent for the changing rights of creative property, you're dumb

and dude, you listen to Metallica LOL
Last edited by Dregen at Sep 3, 2014,
Basically they're just taking the idea of a radio edit a bit further by making shorter radio edits, aiming for around 2 minutes on average. Meh doesn't sound that ridiculous to me.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
sort of like how teh average calgarian can only stomach one period of a flames game ooooo gotem

Yeah **** em
My favourite songs are over 20 minutes long.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by Dregen
think about it this way

>you're hearing a 'whole' song condensed into half the time
>song's rotation is faster
>you're going to hear that song twice as often

Oh god you're right! I guess I should stop listening to this Canadian pop station then.

Quote by Dregen
also, if you don't think that this could've been a sign of something awful culturally, as well as a precedent for the changing rights of creative property, you're dumb

I really doubt this will become a trend. Ssargentslayer already mentioned they didn't go through with it, so the station must of gotten shit for the idea.

Quote by Dregen
and dude, you listen to Metallica LOL

so..?
guys, i listen to long songs frequently and let me tell you how their superiority transfers directly to me

my favorite song is 8 days long
Page 1 of 2