So I've been leaning / playing acoustic for 18 months and loving every second until.....last week. I picked up my guitar to have a practice as normal only to find I couldn't make a chord or scale and felt like I was waving my hands around like I've never seen a guitar before.

I left it a day or so before returning but still had the same "I have no idea what this guitar shaped thing is" feeling and after a guitar lesson today I feel like my almost all of my 18 moths of lessons and practice has been erased.

Has anyone else had this and does anyone have any suggestions to fix it? I've almost tried the 'onstage smash it to bits' routine but held off due to loving my guitar
I've been learning for 8 months and I have the same issues. Some days I'm hittin' it and feeling like I'm finally starting to get half-decent and the next time I pick it up, I'm all thumbs again. All you can do is play through it, practice practice practice. It's been a roller
coaster ride and I'm not a natural for sure, but I do feel I'm SLOWLY getting better. Sometimes it's 1 step back and two steps forward. Although it's frustrating that I'm still struggling to perfect beginner songs, I still love it because it's fun and therapeutic for me. I don't really care if I ever get good. My girlfriend like to meditate to ease her mind, I pick up the guitar!
lock it in the closet for a week or two. you'll know when that "plateau" is over.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
you need to practice at least an hour a day for a few years to be somewhat proficient on the instrument. It's 2 to 4 hours, or more, per day if you want to excel. Playing for 18 months or 18 years doesn't mean anything if you don't put in consistent daily practice.
Everybody has off days. Even after playing since the 70s, I'll pick up an instrument and find that I'm just "off"....
Won't hurt to just leave it lay.... Or what I do; essentially play something very simple. Some old folkie tune or whatever.
It all depends how much you let the individual lessons become a fixed habit.

This might take weeks but once it is there you will have no problems.
Quote by alex.aird.9
S....[ ]....I left it a day or so before returning but still had the same "I have no idea what this guitar shaped thing is" feeling and after a guitar lesson today I feel like my almost all of my 18 moths of lessons and practice has been erased.
No matter what your skill level might be, music is not about that. It's about mood. If you're not in the mood to make it, it won't get made.

Quote by alex.aird.9
Has anyone else had this and does anyone have any suggestions to fix it? I've almost tried the 'onstage smash it to bits' routine but held off due to loving my guitar
Well, I suggest you shelve that idea. During their early days Pete Townshend, almost drove himself and the Who into the poorhouse with those tactics.

This site has a record of every guitar Pete smashed. I witnessed a couple of those tantrums myself: http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/index.php

Maybe some of those old "war stories", will put you in the right frame of mind to make music.

Anyhow, people don't think of playing the guitar as "exercise", but it most definitely is. Sometimes a day or so off can help muscles regenerate. When you start back up, you'll require a longer warm up, but you'll also feel way better once you get going again.
There certainly are days when you aren't in the mood to play music. But try not playing for a couple of weeks and those fingers will surely start to itch

Not being good at something is not the reason to be demoralized, it should motivate you to learn it and once you get used to stepping out of the comfort zone...you will become better in no time.
I've been playing a long time, and I still hit walls or lose interest. Here are some fixes that work for me:

Find a tune you really want to learn - there are a couple of Bert Jansch tunes I'm currently hung up on, one of them technically very challenging for me. IOW, you have to want to play music, not play the guitar.

Try a different style, instrument or genre. I switch between slide and fingerpicking, and between acoustic. electric and lap steel. I can usually find something to interest me in one of them, no matter how jaded I'm feeling.

Get interested in guitar mechanics - set up, modding, biulding etc. When I get tired of playing, I do some pickup swapping or the like. This has become a separate hobby for me, but the two benefit each other, there is a lot of synergism.
I've been learning to play for 55 years, I still learn stuff all the time, and I still hit plenty days when I'm just off, and pretty often I won't touch one for a couple of months, just not into it. Then I'll pick it back up and after I get my fingers back in shape I'm back to normal.

No matter what your skill level you hit slumps now and then, don't worry about it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...