Hey guys. I got a Marshall MG50CFX a month ago after about 6 months of playing on a fender mustang. Big upgrade at first but now I'm lost trying to get the tones I want. About the only tone I can get close to satisfaction is Angus Young's just because it's pretty much everything turned all the way up lol. But I know most of Cemetery gates by Pantera pretty well and I think it would sound a lot better if I could just get the tone half way decent. Any help is appreciated because the only thing I'm doing now is turning it on overdrive 1 and monkeying around with the gain and mids lol.
Dean ML 79 Floyd
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom
Marshall MG50CFX
Randall Rg3003h
Randall Rg412
I mean if its impossible for me to get anything close to what I want with this amp and I made a mistake buying it then by all means feel free to say so lol. I'm open to any opinions.
Dean ML 79 Floyd
Marshall MG50CFX
Randall Rg3003h
Randall Rg412
Terrible, terrible amp. Kill it with fire.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by twc1370
I mean if its impossible for me to get anything close to what I want with this amp and I made a mistake buying it then by all means feel free to say so lol. I'm open to any opinions.

Yeah, your amp sucks really bad
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Mustang is a better amp. Sorry.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm not familiar with that amp, but I did look it up and it looks like it has a lot of features, so you'll have to do a lot of tweaking to dial in a tone that you like. If you're playing music like Pantera you could try scooping the mids and using one of the OD channels on a high gain setting. That should help a lot.
Last edited by Jekt at Sep 2, 2014,
you're telling me the fender mustang II that was pretty much given to me is better than the Marshall I spent $370 on?
Dean ML 79 Floyd
Marshall MG50CFX
Randall Rg3003h
Randall Rg412
Quote by twc1370
you're telling me the fender mustang II that was pretty much given to me is better than the Marshall I spent $370 on?

Yes unfortunately
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
kill me. just go ahead and put a bullet through my brain. it seems like everybody i talked to told me nothing but good about this amp. but to be real, would pedals help me any at all? or should i just say to hell with it, try to sell it, and buy something that fits my needs better? i play mostly metal and some old rock.
Dean ML 79 Floyd
Marshall MG50CFX
Randall Rg3003h
Randall Rg412
Quote by twc1370
kill me. just go ahead and put a bullet through my brain. it seems like everybody i talked to told me nothing but good about this amp. but to be real, would pedals help me any at all? or should i just say to hell with it, try to sell it, and buy something that fits my needs better? i play mostly metal and some old rock.

No, if you live in the USA, I can find you a awesome combo for cheap
And it/they are not mine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
whats the pro's and con's of a combo over a head and cabinet?
and to give a little more info:
I'd like to stay somewhere between $500 and $1000. I know I probably wont get an amp that suits my needs for less than that.
I'm a metalhead mostly. dimebag is what drove me to start playing in the first place. but i like older rock and some southern rock too.
prefer something new unless i can play it in person. ive always been skeptical about buying used things over the internet.
99.99999% chance all my playing is gonna be done at home.
I'm in eastern kentucky and the only guitar shop i know of within 2 hours is a pretty small one where i bought my current POS amp.
and as for current gear, ah you already know
Dean ML 79 Floyd
Marshall MG50CFX
Randall Rg3003h
Randall Rg412
Last edited by twc1370 at Sep 2, 2014,
Peavey XXX comes to mind first. It's called the 3120 now, same amp. But XXXs are far cheaper.

If you buy used from Guitar Center, you get a 30 day warranty, if anything is wrong or you don't like it they'll take it back no problem.

Combo or cab is total preference, as long as it has good speakers in it you'll be good. For what you want you'll probably want a cab with Celestion V30s. Greenbacks might work for you too, but probably won't be likely in your budget.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Guitar center used is a pretty safe bet because they give a 30 day guarantee and if you really want you can get an extended warranty when you buy used.

Pros of head/cab over combo is ease of versatility. you can easily swap cabs or amps that way, with a combo you got what you got.

Playing at home, a combo would be fine, if you think you might want a diff sound(head) all you buy is the head and it is typically cheaper.

Hear is a Krank K-stein (dimes last sig amp) and cab in your budget
www.guitarcenter.com/Krank-Used-Krank-2007-Krankenstein-Plus-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-110394480-i3906078.gc
www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-KRANK-REV-SST-412-GUITAR-CAB-109537276-i3473660.gc

A bit over your budget ($100), but you'll have a rig for life
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i'd like to stay away from tubes if at all possible. too fragile and too much trouble for somebody with my skill level lol. i know a guy with a randall rg1003h head with the rg212 cabinet and he loves it. opinions?
Dean ML 79 Floyd
Marshall MG50CFX
Randall Rg3003h
Randall Rg412
Quote by twc1370
i'd like to stay away from tubes if at all possible. too fragile and too much trouble for somebody with my skill level lol. i know a guy with a randall rg1003h head with the rg212 cabinet and he loves it. opinions?

It is an OK amp if you like the Randall tone, the cab sucks.

they used to put tubes in Jets and Tanks, they hold up fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by twc1370

Yes, theyre made of glass but the amp they are enclosed in isnt. So long as you dont throw it into the path of an oncoming train it should be alright. Ive done plenty of gigs with tube amps and never had a problem

Im curious to know who you talked to though who told you the Marshall MG was a good amp
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Sep 3, 2014,
I've never changed the tubes in my Vox AC15, and I've taken it all over the place and cranked it wide open for outdoor gigs. It's been going for 3 years strong. It would probably be a good idea to change them now (and my amp would probably sound better if I did), but I digress. No problems. The better your gear sounds, the more eager you will be to play better.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
I've never changed the tubes in my Vox AC15, and I've taken it all over the place and cranked it wide open for outdoor gigs. It's been going for 3 years strong. It would probably be a good idea to change them now (and my amp would probably sound better if I did), but I digress. No problems. The better your gear sounds, the more eager you will be to play better.

This.

Also, part of the fun in owning tube amps is playing around with different tube brands/types in different positions. You can buy JJ preamp tubes for about $12 apiece, so they're not that expensive and they sound great.

In the last four years, I've only HAD to replace 2-3 tubes on my 6505+ (the originals, oddly enough, are still functional -- though not as nice as JJs). The rest of the time new tubes were purchased for tonal experimentation. Plus, when you've played on a set of power tubes for 2-3 years and then finally replace them; since the tone deteriorates very slowly over time -- it's like you get a new amp all of a sudden when you replace them.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
so from what I can understand, stay away from Randall unless I want strictly dime tone? lol
Dean ML 79 Floyd
Marshall MG50CFX
Randall Rg3003h
Randall Rg412
Not all Randalls. Their tube amps kick arse, especially the RM100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
For your amp: The heavier you want, the higher you turn your gain UP and your middle DOWN. Unless you're playing live, you shouldn't need a bigger amp.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 3, 2014,
^^Agreed...if your goal is for your guitar tone to blend into the mix and not be heard by your audience.

The guitar is a midrange instrument, so you need some mids to be heard. Now, I don't necessarily condone the current popular practice of "kranking the MIDZ to 10 bro" -- but you need some mids in order for your guitar sound to stand out.

I find that my 6505+ sounds more brutal with the gain on 3 than on 7. Because anything over 3-4 and the clarity and punch goes to hell. I keep my mids at 4 because it's a very middy amp to begin with. Most amps need to have their mids at noon or slightly boosted to really shine in a band situation.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
^^Agreed...if your goal is for your guitar tone to blend into the mix and not be heard by your audience.

The guitar is a midrange instrument, so you need some mids to be heard. Now, I don't necessarily condone the current popular practice of "kranking the MIDZ to 10 bro" -- but you need some mids in order for your guitar sound to stand out.

Not necessarily. I scoop the hell out of my mids (as in, bass and treble cranked all the way, and mids cranked down all way on both my amp and an MXR 10-Band). Granted, it's an Orange Rockerverb so the mids are more present, but I really do crank them all the way down. I'm heard just fine playing pristinely clean settings with a band, though I do play at high volumes.
Quote by chrismendiola
Not necessarily. I scoop the hell out of my mids (as in, bass and treble cranked all the way, and mids cranked down all way on both my amp and an MXR 10-Band). Granted, it's an Orange Rockerverb so the mids are more present, but I really do crank them all the way down. I'm heard just fine playing pristinely clean settings with a band, though I do play at high volumes.

To each his own, but that is a recipe for a muffled, blanket on my amp tone, especially if I was playing that set-up. My DSL has a pretty weird EQ setting on it than I would ever dial in by sight on an amp. Bass 6, Mid 7, Treble 7, Presence 4. It gets a fat, punchy tone that can be heard easily in a mix.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
To each his own, but that is a recipe for a muffled, blanket on my amp tone, especially if I was playing that set-up. My DSL has a pretty weird EQ setting on it than I would ever dial in by sight on an amp. Bass 6, Mid 7, Treble 7, Presence 4. It gets a fat, punchy tone that can be heard easily in a mix.

Maybe, but to give you an idea, the goal is to get a John Mayer Continuum, Try and Where the Light Is tone. I mostly play through an MIA Standard Strat so it replicates the tone very well.
any thoughts on a H&K Tubemeister 18?
Dean ML 79 Floyd
Marshall MG50CFX
Randall Rg3003h
Randall Rg412
Quote by twc1370
any thoughts on a H&K Tubemeister 18?

It has pretty blue lights! Imo, the newer Peavey Valveking 20 heads are where its at in that pricerange, currently.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
http://eastky.craigslist.org/msg/4624443307.html

This all day. The modules that are in it will cover everything you need but later when you get some money again you can go shopping at these places and turn your amp into whatever the **** you want.
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html

I've got the combo version with modules from both of those places. It's a brilliant amp and both of those modders do great work. Unbelievably good power amp, just a great thing.
Very heavy though. That head ^ weighs 83 lb. 80 something anyway. Makes a DSL100 head feel like a feather. Real American over engineered thing. Well worth it though, just buy a trolley/dolly/handcart to move it around.

Buy it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100