I know this is my second thread, but that one was slightly biased.

I'm looking for a set up for home practicing and the occasional gig. I would like something with amp models, headphones outs, and being able to edit or create patches would be ideal. I would like some physical preset buttons too, which I guess leads me to the floor units.

I do have other gear and smaller amps, but I would like for this to be "self-contained", and at most need a volume/expression pedal. I would be using it for home practicing for my metal band (subgenre is yet to be determined), and also some solo post-rock. I would be planning to play over loops of myself that were either being looped in the unit or by a Ditto looper that I have, or maybe both.

Good (not amazing) onboard distortion would be needed, along with some very clean cleans. Crunch and "near break-up" tones wouldn't be as essential, but I would plan on using them. I would most likely be using all three tones at some point, which muddies up a lot of options I would assume. I may need this to play coffeehouse acoustic-y covers, or jazzy pop songs. This and my solo post-rock material would comprise my small gigs.

From the little I know, and from my last thread, a few of my options would be the Line 6 POD HD and POD HD500X, Zoom G3 and G5, and Boss GT100. I know the least about the Boss.

Anyways, the important stuff:

Budget: $500, can stretch if necessary.

Favourite artists: Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, This Will Destroy You, Protest the Hero, Karnivool, Opeth.

New or Used?: New would be preferable. There is a very small market for used in my province, and new would be easier. I would prefer the most up to date unit.

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan would be the closest cities. (Go Blue Bombers!)

Currect gear is in my sig.

Thank you guys in advance.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Zoom G3 sounds perfect for this. Although mine is primarily used as part of my gigging pedalboard, I also have a setup stored for headphone practice which has an amp sim and 3 separate levels of distortion.

Does exactly what you want and you won't get better value for money with anything else.

Definite vote for the G3/5 from me.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The GT-100 is a great effects processor but the amp models are pretty ordinary. I would recommend it if you had a good tube amp but as a standalone unit to do everything, no.
Buy the HD500X and when you can afford it add a nice powered wedge to the equation.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm honestly kind of torn between the Zoom G5 and the Line 6 HD500X. I haven't read or heard anything about the RP360XP either though.

Also, if I was to do gigs, theres always other performers there, and there is always a PA, so for gigging I can hook it straight into the PA. If this band fails me, I will look into a PA or a FRFR speaker for personal use and less-organized gigs, and as a backup plan.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I'd go with a Pod of some sort. You may find the older models (X3, XT and so on) for much cheaper new and they'll probably do 90% of what you want to, or just grab a HD500X, those are very good too.
i think you would be better off with a pod and a good clean amp. i am not a huge fan of zoom for some reason (i owned two that i won), but line 6 has the lead ATM IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i think you would be better off with a pod and a good clean amp. i am not a huge fan of zoom for some reason (i owned two that i won), but line 6 has the lead ATM IMO.

I would rather not play through an amp with this unit, I'd like to keep it as simple and as small as possible.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
I would rather not play through an amp with this unit, I'd like to keep it as simple and as small as possible.

you don't need an amp you could go straight into the PA i don't see the size being an issue with a pod500x its not much bigger than other setups. maybe a few inches and another pound.

but i have a few questions for you. if not an amp playing through what? PA as i said?headphones?

siimple in what way?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you don't need an amp you could go straight into the PA i don't see the size being an issue with a pod500x its not much bigger than other setups. maybe a few inches and another pound.

but i have a few questions for you. if not an amp playing through what? PA as i said?headphones?

siimple in what way?

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood you, but you said here that I'd be better off with a POD and a good clean amp. I'd much rather not need an amp. If I wasn't playing at home through headphones, I'd be using a supplied PA to gig with. I'd be playing at home 90% of the time, and 10% out of a PA.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Just one thing - autonomy is a good thing. If all you have is the PA to rely on that means you have to rely on the sound guy too. This is not always a good idea, especially when it comes to foldback monitoring. Having your own wedge takes all that out of the picture so that no matter what happens, at least you can hear yourself.
Not only that but if a venue is gonna cheap out on something you can lay odds that foldback is where they're gonna do it. Be self sufficient, get a powered wedge as soon as you can afford it. Get something decent; 12" woofer, 100W+, decent brand (JBL, Mackie, Yamaha, etc).
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Just one thing - autonomy is a good thing. If all you have is the PA to rely on that means you have to rely on the sound guy too. This is not always a good idea, especially when it comes to foldback monitoring. Having your own wedge takes all that out of the picture so that no matter what happens, at least you can hear yourself.
Not only that but if a venue is gonna cheap out on something you can lay odds that foldback is where they're gonna do it. Be self sufficient, get a powered wedge as soon as you can afford it. Get something decent; 12" woofer, 100W+, decent brand (JBL, Mackie, Yamaha, etc).

Cathbard, anything you would recommend for mainly home use and occasional gigs? I don't need anything thats super amazing, maybe something mid-level that won't fail me.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
you could get a pair of monitors for the home playing, they can be quiet.

but... you can't gig with them.

i still think the POD500x would be best for you. headphones/decent monitors either would do the job.

for implication of that, i agree with cath a wedge or a PA. you can get the good ones pretty quiet when you want. you can never have too many.

where are you playing when you play amplified (environment not location).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Like I said. Buy the HD500X and the best powered wedge you can find. I really like JBL wedges but they aint cheap.
However, used is the way to go. When guys get rid of their old band gear; "when are you going to get rid of all that junk out of the nursery?" type thing, the PA gear is always the first to go. Consequently, you can often score PA gear for a song.
Just watch CL for a while. You're in no real rush for the wedge, just use headphones and house PA while you wait. Get the best thing that pops up, stick to names you know.
Yamaha wedges are really good too. Hold out for a 12" woofer and at least 100W. Smaller ones tend to be crud.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So the HD500X and a good wedge seems to be the way to go, and I thought that would be it, but its not.

I'm really looking into buying a new good laptop (~$1000) for watching netflix, youtube, minecraft, and the like, so how are computer based guitar programs? I don't even know whats out there really. From a quick look theres programs like Cubase, Amplitube, and GuitarRig. Eventually I would like to get into recording and mixing which is another beast entirely.

How do VST programs compare to multi-effects modeler units when mainly used for practicing? If I am planning to buy a new computer, should I look into VST's more? Or are MFX modelers that much better? Unfortunately I don't have experience with either.

Thank you.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
VSTs are a great way to go, so long as you do it properly.

Head over to the Recordings forum for info, there's a sticky for the VSTs and another for the equipment you'll need - both have loads of recommendations.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud