I just moved from the US to Germany, and I am trying to find some step by step guidance on what I would need to do to modify my JCM2000 TSL100 head to accept european 220-240v 50/60hZ without blowing up

I am pretty stupid to electronics, but I have read that you have to open the head unit up, switch a couple wires to different posts, and then change out the fuse, but I was hoping to get more detailed instructions like "buy _________ and _________ from _________, switch it out by ___________, open head unit up by ___________, unsolder the _________ wire(s) and resolder to __________"

Also, how will I need to set the ohm switches on the back, and where do I plug the cabinet to and from? I don't recall, but I know there are a few choices as far as 8ohm and 4ohm? I know plugging the cabinet into the head unit seems simple, but I had it set up a few years ago and just left it alone, and it's been a few months since I disconnected everything so I don't recall where everything was plugged in and if it matters where to reconnect now that I am in a different country with different voltages. Its a 1960AV cabinet if that matters.

Any help is appreciated. I really am an idiot where this is concerned and already blew up my power supply on my desktop and fried my motherboard because I didn't switch it from 110 to 220 before I plugged it in
Last edited by GLP standard at Sep 3, 2014,
i think there are adapters that you can plug into the wall to get it back to 120v.i don't know how much they cost though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Doesn't the TSL have a voltage switch on the back?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No voltage switch that I saw, and the back says 120 60hz only, but I know that is misleading because there are ways to rewire it and change the fuse or so I have read to make it 220-240 compatible. Everything I read just wasn't very clear on what exactly to do and I don't want to take a chance of destroying my head, so i was just wondering if there was anyone that has done this before that can give me a more detailed instruction on what exactly I need to do.

The adapters you refer to are actually transformers. We have a couple, but they eat electricity like you would not believe so we prefer not to use them. We would rather not double our already insane electric bill when there is another cheaper alternative.
Quote by GLP standard
I am pretty stupid to electronics, but I have read that you have to open the head unit up, switch a couple wires to different posts, and then change out the fuse, but I was hoping to get more detailed instructions like "buy _________ and _________ from _________, switch it out by ___________, open head unit up by ___________, unsolder the _________ wire(s) and resolder to __________"
This is vague and I reckon it's wrong - if there's nothing really evident that suggests you can switch it from 110v to 220v, not even inside the amp, then you probably can't do it simply.

Redirecting us to some of these instructions you found may help though.
Quote by GLP standard
Also, how will I need to set the ohm switches on the back, and where do I plug the cabinet to and from?
You connect the Xohm output on the amp to the Xohm input on the cab, it's as simple as that.
Quote by GLP standard
No voltage switch that I saw, and the back says 120 60hz only, but I know that is misleading because there are ways to rewire it and change the fuse or so I have read to make it 220-240 compatible.
There are ways to rewire everything the way you prefer, and there are ways of changing the fuse with one of another value in most guitar amps.

That doesn't mean they used a transformer offering the possibility of switching between 110v and 220v.
Quote by GLP standard
The adapters you refer to are actually transformers. We have a couple, but they eat electricity like you would not believe so we prefer not to use them. We would rather not double our already insane electric bill when there is another cheaper alternative.
You may wanna invest in a high quality transformer then.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Have you tried contacting Marshall customer support ?
They might be able to tell you the exact parts that are different on the US vs EU versions that you will need to replace or give you details for a local tech who can make the changes for you.

I would have thought the cost of a tech to do the work would be less than the price of a new amp.
Quote by Spambot_2
This is vague and I reckon it's wrong - if there's nothing really evident that suggests you can switch it from 110v to 220v, not even inside the amp, then you probably can't do it simply.

Redirecting us to some of these instructions you found may help though.
You connect the Xohm output on the amp to the Xohm input on the cab, it's as simple as that.
There are ways to rewire everything the way you prefer, and there are ways of changing the fuse with one of another value in most guitar amps.

That doesn't mean they used a transformer offering the possibility of switching between 110v and 220v.
You may wanna invest in a high quality transformer then.

http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/3197-tsl-100-convert-220v-110v.html

The individual in that post talks about rewiring/replacing the fuse to go from 230v to 110v in NA. Theoretically all I would need to do is the opposite of him. It seems pretty straight forward, but I'd hoped someone had experience with this to ensure it does in fact work and will not cause any damage or ill effects before I try it.

And I doubt the quality of your transformer has anything to do with how much power it uses. Could be wrong though

Quote by WeZ-84
Have you tried contacting Marshall customer support ?
They might be able to tell you the exact parts that are different on the US vs EU versions that you will need to replace or give you details for a local tech who can make the changes for you.

I would have thought the cost of a tech to do the work would be less than the price of a new amp.

I will try to give Marshall a call, or hell, even try posting on the marshall forums Just thought I would see if I could get any help on here first.
I would be very surprised if there wasn't a 230V tap on the transformer. Marshall got into standardisation in a big way since the 80's. Your chances are good that all you'll have to do is swing it over to the other tap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by GLP standard
And I doubt the quality of your transformer has anything to do with how much power it uses. Could be wrong though
I suggest you look into how transformers work.

Basically, the cheap ones are more inefficient and they suck more current from the electrical line than what is needed to properly power up the amp, 'cause some of the current gets converted to heat.

With a more efficient transformer, less current gets converted to heat, so you get closer and closer to consume the same amount of current the amp needs.
Quote by guy on marshallforum.com
I was in the opposite situation -- I purchased my TSL-100 in the US and just moved to Europe so I had to convert it from 110V to 220V. I found the same schematic you refer to and agreed with your assessment of what needed to be done.

I was feeling lucky, so I implemented the mod -- moved connections W1 and W6 to W4 and W5, respectively (the reverse of what you need to do).
If you feel like trusting this guy take a schematic of your amp ( http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/TL10-63-02%20(1998)%20iss4.pdf ) and move the connections W1 and W6 to W4 and W5 respectively.

What's that you need a more detailed explanation for?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Further down the page in that Marshallforums post is a guy who moved from the US to Poland and did exactly what you want to try (the guy called bk4283) he got his to work so it looks like it might be possible.
Quote by Spambot_2
If you feel like trusting this guy take a schematic of your amp ( http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/TL10-63-02%20(1998)%20iss4.pdf ) and move the connections W1 and W6 to W4 and W5 respectively.

What's that you need a more detailed explanation for?

That's just it, do I trust one random guy from a thread a while ago who says he did what I am trying to do, yet doesn't give very detailed instructions? No, not when the end result of him being wrong, or me not doing something correctly because I don't fully understand what I am trying to do is my rather expensive amplifier becoming a paperweight.

I figured there has to be someone, somewhere who has moved from the US to a European country with a Marshall amp that has performed this mod before. I was hoping someone on here could shed some further light other than what was stated in that thread on the subject so I feel more confident tackling this. Did that answer your question?
^ it's highly unlikely that you'll find anybody who did the exact same thing here.

Just looking at the schematic and the marshall forum, it seems to me that you would have to remove the non-continuous lines and wire everything according to the continuous lines.

If you don't trust that, try and send a pm to the marshall forum guy to be sure.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
If you can't work it out, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Take it to a tech, he'll swing them over in no time. It will take him longer to pull out the chassis.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

Can someone help me understand what part I will need to remove to make the changes I need to make? I didn't want to just start unscrewing things, but I have no idea how to get to the wires/connections needed to change this to 230v compatible.
If you are unsure, then take it to a tech - it'll cost some money but at least you'll have an amp that works at the end of it and you won't risk electrocuting yourself.
I second whatls been said - if you can't work the thing out after reading that stuff and seeing the schematic, you may not wanna risk doing something you may **** up.
Quote by GLP standard
I didn't want to just start unscrewing things
Now that is the wrong attitude

Though, seriously, if you want to look up info and stuff it's good.
First you unplug everything fron the amp, you remove the tubes, you remove the amp from the wood chassis and then you may have to remove the PCB fron the metal chassis.

Though if you can't figure even that out by yourself, I suggest you either read a looot of stuff and anscrew a looot of things, or just bring it to a tech.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola