Anyone know about computers? I think I fried my motherboard and/or harddrive

So I am ******ed, and though I looked at the box to make sure my power supply was dual voltage, I plugged it in at my new house in Germany (just moved here from the US) but did not have the forsight to check the back and make sure there was no switch to manually switch it over to 220-240 50/60hz. There was. As soon as I plugged it in, a very loud pop like a firecracker, smoke and the smell of electronic death came out of my computer.

So, my power supply is 100% fried. But, what other damage, if any could I have done? I took my power supply and aftermarket video card out, and put my stock power supply back in and hooked everything up to run off of the MOBO built in video card. Turned the computer on (after switching the voltage over this time) and I got a black screen with white lettering. Can't remember exactly what it said as this was a couple weeks ago, but it said something along the lines of "you're screwed" (something to do with there are no data files and to install a boot disc..?)

Could I have done damage to either my MOBO or hard drive when I fried my power supply? I have been wanting to build a new pc for a long time now, so this gives me an excuse (I am a little upset I cannot use my aftermarket power supply I planned to) but I am hoping I did not fry my video card or anything else.
noone here knows about computers

all advice following this post is wrong
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
You could have made yourself sterile. Go see a doctor.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
*waiting for serious responses. This could take a while. It's been a few years since I've posted but I forgot the majority of the UG population are under 12 years of age.

Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Cats

Most. Useless. Post. Ever.

Congrats
Last edited by GLP standard at Sep 3, 2014,
Quote by GLP standard
*waiting for serious responses. This could take a while. It's been a few years since I've posted but I forgot the majority of the UG population are under 12 years of age.

Most. Useless. Post. Ever.

Congrats

Try the computing thread if you want serious answers.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Or try taking your computer to a computer store, where they can actually run tests on it and stuff.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Try the computing thread if you want serious answers.

yeah the twelve year olds there know their shit

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by ultimate-slash
Damn, I can understand fried sticks of butter and fried mars bars? But computers?

It's for the silicon chips.

Geddit, chips?

*bellylaugh*
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by GLP standard
Most. Useless. Post. Ever. Congrats

Most useless response ever:
Last edited by MeTallIcA313 at Sep 3, 2014,
Hehe

Well, at least TS won't be able to drink and drive anymore.

EDIT:
I was 'hehe'-ing at Slaps' post. Mind if I call you Slaps?
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Sep 3, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Thank you. Finally, a serious response.

Quote by ultimate-slash

Well, at least TS won't be able to drink and drive anymore.

I am not sure how that makes any sense whatsoever. Care to explain before I leave? I'm a bit intrigued at this point.
Last edited by GLP standard at Sep 3, 2014,
Quote by GLP standard
Thank you. Finally, a serious response.

I don't know how this isn't a serious or helpful response, but whatever

Quote by Baby Joel
Or try taking your computer to a computer store, where they can actually run tests on it and stuff.

That's the last time I'll help you out TS
Quote by Baby Joel
I don't know how this isn't a serious or helpful response, but whatever

That's the last time I'll help you out TS

You had a semi-serious response, so to you, I give Kudos. However, it wasn't the answer I was looking for. While it seems to be the most simple, straight forward approach to solving my issue, it is neither cost nor time effective. I don't have any interest in putting any money into said computer. As stated, I plan to build a new computer anyways. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me based on what I am experiencing if I likely fried by MOBO, my HD, both? Is there a chance I could have fried my graphics card? This was all I was really interested in.
Quote by GLP standard
You had a semi-serious response, so to you, I give Kudos.

What flavour Kudos? I always preferred the M&M, so if you have one of those to give, then we can put this all behind us.
What flavour Snickers? Dark chocolate is the best, but I don't know if they sell them anymore
Quote by So-Cal
why don't you get a new power supply and see if it works

As stated in my OP, I put my old power supply back in and it turned on, but I got a black and white error screen basically saying to install a boot disc as there were no files found to start windows from (something along those lines). I will give you the benefit of the doubt, as I know I can be long winded and my OP was a bit on the long side so you probably didn't read the whole thing.
tl;dr

then put the boot disk in and reboot it if you fried it you probably wouldn't get anything
Quote by GLP standard
As stated in my OP, I put my old power supply back in and it turned on, but I got a black and white error screen basically saying to install a boot disc as there were no files found to start windows from (something along those lines). I will give you the benefit of the doubt, as I know I can be long winded and my OP was a bit on the long side so you probably didn't read the whole thing.

well if it was the motherboard your computer wouldn't start at all. so it's probably just a hard drive issue.

If the motherboard was fried, you should see a bunch of round battery shaped things on the motherboard, which should be exploded.
If that's not the case and the PC still starts and gives messages like "bootmgr not found" or "no operating system found" or "no boot disk found" or something along those lines, it's just the hard drive that's f*cked.

The last thing you could check is in the BIOS/UEFI, if the drive can be found there. if it can't then 99% chance your drive is dead. if it can be found you should check your boot order.
A shock like that might reset the bios to default settings

Good excuse to buy a new computer I guess, because I'm guessing you don't have a windows CD laying around, so you could replace the hard drive, for about €50,- depending how big you want it to be, if you want it to be a solid state or not etcetera, and then you'd have to buy and install windows (windows is around €100-150) + the time you waste spending on it (time is money, after all)

Just get a new and better one, maybe keep the one you wrecked as a back-up
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Sep 3, 2014,
Quote by GLP standard
I am not sure how that makes any sense whatsoever. Care to explain before I leave? I'm a bit intrigued at this point.

You said your hard drive was busted, so I constructed a sentence with the word drive in it
It's not my best work, I admit, but I take pride in all my work.

I apologise if my puns are drive-ing you mad.