Hi! After a long while of struggling with the band, we've finally fired our third drummer (, for the fourth time, I might add). Right now it's just the vocalist/guitarist and me, the bassist. So, we've decided to keep going and to find a new drummer, but we're having a couple of problems:

1. We live in a small-ish city where few people play our kind of music
2. We've already tried out the drummers we personally know.

So basically, I need some advice on what to do. We're already planning on using facebook, and putting posters up around the popular venues.

What other things should we do? Is there even such a thing as a perfect drummer?
You can always try a drum machine. It will play exactly what you tell it to. But other than that, just keep looking and try every drummer you can find. The fact that you found 3 is actually pretty amazing. Why did none of them work out?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
If you just want to lay down some tracks, learn drums yourself. That's the only way you'll get a drummer to do and play exactly what you want...

Put up ads asking for a drummer familiar and willing to play the music your band plays.
Quote by gorkyporky
You can always try a drum machine. It will play exactly what you tell it to. But other than that, just keep looking and try every drummer you can find. The fact that you found 3 is actually pretty amazing. Why did none of them work out?

I don't think a drum machine would be appreciated much at a punk show ..
But thanks for the suggestion.

I actually meant that this is the fourth time we've fired that one drummer, but we've had 3 previous drummers as well.
First one moved down south, too far away to keep playing.
The second one showed up for one rehearsal, and then never bothered to join us again.
The third one was a pretty good fit, but I also played with him in another group which ended pretty quick, and he got obsessed over who had the rights to our name and recordings. I'd rather not work with those kind of people, as they can become a pretty big pain in your ass if something goes wrong.

Quote by Will Lane
If you just want to lay down some tracks, learn drums yourself. That's the only way you'll get a drummer to do and play exactly what you want...

Put up ads asking for a drummer familiar and willing to play the music your band plays.

Well the thing is, we mostly do live shows (or did, anyway). We also record all our music "live", so to speak. Meaning, when we're in the studio, after everything is set up and ready to go, we record all instruments and vocals at the same time. It's just more comfortable for us, and gives a better result IMO.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
Honestly, if you are playing punk, you don't need an amazing drummer. A guy who can keep time and play relatively fast i guess. So the issue seems to be that you cant get on with any of the previous ones. Sometimes you just have to put the personal issues aside i guess, and try to get on with people that are different. Hell, our drummer is an egotistical stubborn asshole sometimes, but we get along fairly well. Anyway, what was wrong with the current one?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
Honestly, if you are playing punk, you don't need an amazing drummer. A guy who can keep time and play relatively fast i guess. So the issue seems to be that you cant get on with any of the previous ones. Sometimes you just have to put the personal issues aside i guess, and try to get on with people that are different. Hell, our drummer is an egotistical stubborn asshole sometimes, but we get along fairly well. Anyway, what was wrong with the current one?

It's not just straight forward punk, but we mostly get gigs at punk shows.
And it's not so much "personal issues", as it is "drummer refuses to pay his share of expenses" and "drummer never keeps his promises" ..
You set up an electric drum set in the middle of town and when you find one that doesn't suck you put a black bag on his head and throw him in he van. You will require double stuffed oreo's to keep him from complaining that he is hungry though.

Since you do have venues around you where you may typically play putting up flyers maybe one of your best options. Flyers at your local colleges, music stores, bars and food stores might help you as well. Also talking to bands at your local scene may help you find other musicians its always good to network anyway.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Oyface
And it's not so much "personal issues", as it is "drummer refuses to pay his share of expenses" and "drummer never keeps his promises" ..

What sort of expenses and promises is the drummer not fulfilling?

Quote by gorkyporky
Honestly, if you are playing punk, you don't need an amazing drummer.

You could say that about any genre, but a good drummer always makes things better. Travis Barker is an obvious example of a great drummer in a punk band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Music is the easy part, people are the hard part and there are no perfect players. They all screw up the music sometimes and they all let you down sometimes. Make sure you are very clear up front about the music you play, rehearsal schedule, expenses, creative input from all members, and expectations of each other as members of a team.

After that:
Does he have a pulse and is it regular or erratic? Tempo clue
Does he drool out of both sides of his mouth? His drum riser is level.
Does he have a home, job, car? Homeless drummers have a tough time getting their gear to gigs.
Does he have a hot girlfriend? Several hot girlfriends??

Good luck!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by losing battle
You set up an electric drum set in the middle of town and when you find one that doesn't suck you put a black bag on his head and throw him in he van. You will require double stuffed oreo's to keep him from complaining that he is hungry though.

Yeah, I'mma go with this ..

Quote by AlanHB
What sort of expenses and promises is the drummer not fulfilling?

He had a habit of letting us know just one day in advance that he won't make it for a gig, after we all agreed on the date several weeks or even months before. This has happened 4-5 times between January and March, as well as several times last year. If we'd kept him around any longer, we'd end up with a reputation to match, and we'd never get a gig again.

He also left us in debt after going to the studio in March. I couldn't even count the times he's said "oh the money has been transfered" on one hand, although no money has ever shown up. I ended up paying the rest myself last Monday, which cost me about two thirds of all the cash I have each month. Currently living on ramen noodles.
but you didnt speak with him? why he do that and all? neither the bassist or you could drum? a duo might be good and still as punk as shit

sometimes it's funny how all the cliches are actually true, drummers are like wild band pets.