So I'm getting a new bass in the next couple of weeks to help improve a lot of old recordings I'm working through at the moment.

I get a fairly decent and very useable tone via D.I into my focusrite interface, previously I've been using the bass amp simulators in Logic Pro, but am getting pretty tired of the sound of these.

Was wondering if anybody could recommend some decent freeware (or cheap costing) plugs ins for bass guitar, not necessarily amps, anything you've found works well would be cool
Ignite amps make a free one IIRC.

Then there's the softube amp room and the amplitube ampeg pack.

I suggest sticking to the logic sim's anyway, and paying more attention to the bass when mixing.
A sub bass enhancer may help you if you want your bass to rumble in the seriously low end region, and a harmonic exciter may help you if you want your bass to sound a bit more present and occupy some of the mid frequencies as well as the bass ones.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'm going for more natural or live sounding bass parts on the recordings I'm working on, I've used the sub plug ins and enhancers before which are good when necessary, but really I want a nice raw sounding bass guitar.

I don't think any plug ins are going to substitute for a decent real amp - not that I've got any large diaphram dynamic mics or a decent space at the moment that would get the results I'd like

Want I really want is a plug in which is more exciting to use than Logics basic grey square with sliders, it'll probably sound exactly the same, but just need a change I think.

I was also thinking for any other plug in's which will work nicely with the bass in terms of its performance rather than mixing, decent autowah plug ins for slap parts or distortion plug ins for some chug in heavier sections!
Last edited by EatShreddies at Sep 3, 2014,
Quote by EatShreddies
I'm going for more natural or live sounding bass parts on the recordings I'm working on
You may want to re-work your definition of natural sounding, 'cause the most literally natural sound you can get from an electric bass, you get it by not passing it through amps.

Would you care giving us some examples of the sound you wanna achieve?
Quote by EatShreddies
Want I really want is a plug in which is more exciting to use than Logics basic grey square with sliders, it'll probably sound exactly the same, but just need a change I think.
Have you considered upgrading to Logic X?
Quote by EatShreddies
I was also thinking for any other plug in's which will work nicely with the bass in terms of its performance rather than mixing
That's just me, but I'd say every plugin you put there after you recorded the thing falls into the mixing category, while the performance is what you do with your hands.
Quote by EatShreddies
decent autowah plug ins for slap parts or distortion plug ins for some chug in heavier sections!
Logic has both of them things and they're both good if ya ask me.

For the wah you can either use the one in the pedalboard plugin, or the fuzz-wah, which I don't remember if it's in the distortion or modulation category.

For the distortion, there are a bunch of distortion processors in logic, either designed for bass (pedalboard and guitar amps if you care for experiments) and general purpose (the stuff in the "distortion" category).
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
For bass amp DIs, I typically run them into the Ignite freeware sim Luca mentioned, and then into some nice bass cab impulse responses (can't remember where I found them I'm afraid, though there's about four or five different cabs though of varying speaker size and with different distances, including an SWR 15" if that helps you find it) loaded in LePou's LeCab.

I'll often then compress the track, and run a duplicate of the clean DI through a high-gain guitar amp sim (often LePou's LE456) with a gritty midrange distortion, and bus them together with the distorted track very low in the mix and compress that bus too (but more general compression than the clean bass track).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Try Camelphat free plugin and eq, I find for the most part this works great. I also like Studio One amp plugins but I don't think Presonus sells these separately.

Ampeg Sims from Amplitube, I think you can now buy these a LA carte so they shouldn't cost much.
I've heard so many good things about studio one, but I've never had chance to play around with it. I'll to have a look into their plug ins and see about getting a copy, I've heard nothing but greatness from sound on sound and others.

I'm basically just sick of Logics plug ins, yeah they're good, but after using them for 7+ years you begin to hear when people are using them on their own recordings and it ruins the magic or sense of wonder when you're listening to something new. This is why I'm not keen on Logics auto Wah or distortions, granted some of the more recent distortions have been getting better since they added pedalboard in L9, but I'm really not so keen on them.

To answer some of Lucas questions:

** Of course I don't mean an unplugged bass when I refer to a natural sound, yeah technically it's natural but its a bit pedantic to give me the literal deffinition when I'm mentioning the kind of plug ins i want, I'm sorry if this wasn't better explained

By natural I mean a bass sound which isn't enhanced past what it would really sound like in real life through an amp, it doesn't necessarily have to fill a mix, generally I quite like a lot of bass space in the mix

** I do have a copy go Logic X, but the majority of the plug ins I use are in 32bit and haven't had updates to 64bit, i know you can get bridging programs and plug ins but I can't be arsed with the hassle of all that. Plus after several years of using Logic I'm still learning new things, I'm using 9 for familiarity and I'm surprised to still learning more of its features even today, when I started using Logic I think it was on Logic 5 for PC when it was owned by E-Magic (I think it was E magic, it was a long time ago haha)

** When I mentioned plug ins that are good for performance, I meant sounds that I can track to that are going to get me excited about the sound as I'm playing, even if they're inappropriate for the mix, these things are always changed afterwards, the same way in which you might add Reverbs and delays to a vocalists headphone mix while they're tracking

** As for the autowah and distortion plug ins, I know there are some in Logic and I have used them to varying degrees of success, but what I mentioned above pretty much covers what I mean in that I want to use plug ins external to Logic for unfamiliarity, sure the plug ins in Logic can be tweaked to sound just as good with the right settings, but I'm always looking for alternatives to make the process a little less clinical and a bit more fun - take a look at beta bugs hi and low pass filters compared to logics for example, they'll do the same thing but the interface is so much more fun and encourages more creativity for me.

I'll have to check out the Amplitude and Camelphat plug ins

Cheers everyone
Again, any example of the sound you wanna achieve?
'cause a bass sound can change a lot after it's been passed through an amp.

Also you could track in logic x and use the bass amp there which is full of colors and mic's and mic placements and cabs and amps and stuff that moves and so on, and then mix everything in logic 9.

As for hearing logic's plugins in recordings, I reeeally don't feel like you cold do that.
First of all everyone has a different signal chain before going into the computer, and then everyone has a different signal chain after that.

Also half of logic's plugins are so transparent it hurts, so what gave you the impression of hearing something that came from logic exactly, and why?

As for the GUI, to everyone its own indeed I guess
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola