I just got my guitar setup (american strat) and forgot to tell the guys there that i prefer to play half a step down. It's set up wonderfully in standard, but when i down tune, it's very buzzy. How do i fix this so it plays in D# the way it plays currently in standard tuning?
Buzzing is most likely nothing to do with intonation. Could be several things going on. Here are a couple of possibilities....

If your trem is set to float, tuning down results in less tension, so your trem springs will pull the bridge down which may lower your action. If it was set to float and now the back of bridge is resting on the top of the guitar, tighten the trem springs until it floats again (about 1/8" space between the bottom of the bridge plate and top of guitar).

Second possibility is that reduced tension may be affecting your relief. You check this by fretting the string simultaneously on the first and last fret. In the center there should be a very slight space between the string and fret. If the strings are laying flat on the frets (no relief) you may need to loosen the truss rod by a quarter turn or so.

Finally, lower string tension means that your strings will vibrate in a wider arc, which could cause buzzing. Either raise your action or use heavier strings.

http://www.treeguitarworks.com/
Last edited by stormin1155 at Sep 3, 2014,
Thanks Stormin. Also, how much buzz is too much? I've heard that strats are "naturally buzzy" guitars. I assume as with most things, it's up to preference. I can hear the notes clearly, the buzz doesn't outweigh the natural note being played, but it's enough to annoy me. It plays really well right now so I'm not sure if I should mess with it. I've had a lot of issues with this guitar since I bought it last August
Strats shouldn't be any buzzier than any other guitar if they are set up properly. As far as how much buzz is too much... that's totally up to you. Often you'll hear buzzing when playing un-plugged, but it is not noticeable when plugged in... that's where I draw the line... if you can hear it when amplified, it's too much.

Of course if you play hard it's almost impossible to have no buzz. Google youtubes of guitar strings being played in slow motion. They really do flop around a lot, and it's surprising they don't buzz more than they do.
Quote by stormin1155
Buzzing is most likely nothing to do with intonation. Could be several things going on. Here are a couple of possibilities....

Except, you know...it totally might be.