I played a bit but stopped about 4 years ago but I'm getting back into it now. I just got a Peavey Bandit 112. I was looking to get a new guitar in the $500 range to upgrade from my BC Rich Wartribe. The main thing about the Wartribe I don't like is the tone/how changing the action is impossible for whatever reason. Also it's not very comfortable to play sitting down. I'm basically looking for something with a nice tone that is comfortable to play. I will be playing a fairly wide range of styles also(metal/blues/folk). From what I've heard, Epiphone seems to be the way to go. I just want some other opinions. Thanks.
Epiphone definitely can get you the metal and blues. However, I'm not sure about folk. Look into a guitar with at least one single coil and humbucker. The single coil will give you the tinny folk sound, and the humbucker will give you the metal sound. The mix of the two (using the pickup switch, of course) might blend well for blues. But to be honest I've never been familiar with hearing of an electric guitar in a folk setting... Might want to get a nice acoustic for that if you have to.

Good luck c:
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 3, 2014,
I'd definitely look into a used guitar for $500, lot's of good guitars in that price range. If you are buying brand new, $1,000 seems to be the starting point for a quality instrument, but if you get one used, you can find something resale for $500. Try as many single coil and humbucker guitars as you can so you can get an idea as to what you want to sound like.
You could join team PRS. I have an epiphone and a PRS and I much prefer my PRS for playability. The Epiphone looks pretty nice and it has an interesting tone but the PRS is more comfortable, with a better neck.

New PRS SE models show up at 600-700 usd at guitar center all the time, and you can get a nice used one within your budget. They have a bunch of different signature models and one of them may suit your needs. There's the Santana (shorter scale length), the Allender (bat-inlaid fretboard and EMGs), the Cu24, the 245, and many more. There's even a Baritone. Check them out, see if they move you.
Thanks for the help. By the way does anyone know a good place to get used guitars online? I probably wont be able to make it out to any music shops soon. And the ones in my area are limited so I'm mostly going by other people's opinions.
Quote by ravenoushunger
Thanks for the help. By the way does anyone know a good place to get used guitars online? I probably wont be able to make it out to any music shops soon. And the ones in my area are limited so I'm mostly going by other people's opinions.

Just bought a beautiful guitar from guitarcenter.com, it only has one mark on it by the volume control knob, very happy with it. Would have spent double had I bought it brand new. Used is the way to go.