This popped up on another forum; I’m reposting because I know some of you are saving up for November:

Just went to GC on my lunch break. While there, the manager came and talked to me, and told me that he just got an email from corporate saying that they are authorized to start blowing out 2014 model Gibsons (and any remaining 2013s) at near-cost to make room for 2015s. Apparently, Gibson is not waiting until the holiday season like the last two years.

Bottom line: GC is taking about 25% off the current tagged price, and may even negotiate lower. I know that some of the models are not that attractive, but the overall QC has been upped for this year, with some of the best fretwork I've seen on lower-end Gibsons in years. The LPJ and SGJ 2014 models are vastly superior to the previous "J" models, and can be had for dirt cheap for the asking.
You are paying for name with Gibson & Fender.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Quote by NewDayHappy

Did you get your Martin for free ?
Quote by NewDayHappy

That’s the whole point of only buying those brands when they’re blowing out unsold guitars! My Tribute series Les Paul would have sucked at $999, but for $499 it was a good deal.
Quote by paruwi
Did you get your Martin for free ?

Martin is genuinely good though, I don't think I would take a Gibson Les Paul over my ESP LTD EC1000 if it wasn't for money. Traded my Fender Stratocaster for my ESP, sometimes the lesser names are better quality for a fraction of the price.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Quote by jpnyc
That’s the whole point of only buying those brands when they’re blowing out unsold guitars! My Tribute series Les Paul would have sucked at $999, but for $499 it was a good deal.

Of course.
Quote by NewDayHappy
Martin is genuinely good though, I don't think I would take a Gibson Les Paul over my ESP LTD EC1000 if it wasn't for money. Traded my Fender Stratocaster for my ESP, sometimes the lesser names are better quality for a fraction of the price.

That's just it though. It's all subjective anyway. I've never played a guitar in the world that feels or sounds as good to me as my Fender. And I've played at least a good few different brands.
Quote by Charley2715
That's just it though. It's all subjective anyway. I've never played a guitar in the world that feels or sounds as good to me as my Fender. And I've played at least a good few different brands.

Just bought a beautiful ESP LTD EC1000 from guitarcenter for $500. Had I bought the same guitar from Gibson I would have spent $1,200 - $3,200.
No, because it's not the same guitar. Again, subjective. Nobody cares if you don't like Gibson. Go make your own thread we can ignore, stop mucking up this one.
Quote by NewDayHappy
Just bought a beautiful ESP LTD EC1000 from guitarcenter for $500. Had I bought the same guitar from Gibson I would have spent $1,200 - $3,200.

It's fun to read people make these wide statements on the internet. Especially when they so obviously have very little to no experience which would make them qualified to make such a statement, or have any clue about what they're saying.

An Ltd is as good as - say a Gibson LP Traditional, according to what criteria?

The guitars are only remotely similar in body shape. They're made in different countries, to different production standards, and with very different specifications. Gibson doesn't make "the same guitar".

If you think that the Ltd EC1000 is a better guitar than the Les Paul Studio, fine, I'm not going to argue with it. I don't agree at the least, but still.

(Could somebody just please set all that plastic abalone on fire?)
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Sep 3, 2014,
Does this also apply to Epiphones?
I've been on the hunt for an Epiphone ES of some sort.
Quote by Wicer

They might discount them some later on, but it is just Gibson right now
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by RyanMW2010
Too bad GC never carries lefty Gibson guitars

Yeah I know several guys who are Lefty's but they learned righty because of the lack of left-hand guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Wicer

I doubt it. Epi sales happen from time to time, but they don’t do big blowouts like Gibson. Probably because they’re inexpensive to begin with.
I love the blue 2014 LPs. Not in the future for me, but maybe one of ya will manage to get a good deal and post pics here so that I can live vicariously?
Just try before you buy, guys.

I bought a Gibby LP Classic this year. The store had 4 of this year's model, and I tried all of them, and crap as I am, I could tell the difference blindfolded.

2 of them felt OK, one of them felt pretty horrible, and the one I bought is without doubt the best guitar I've ever played.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
If you remember back to around April or May this year Gibson RAISED the price around 10% across the board on all the 2014 models and now they're "on sale" at 10% off. They are slightly cheaper than they were at the beginning of the year but not by much. Seems like a slightly shady price increase just so they could say they're on sale now. I love my old LP Studio but this sale is a gimmick. Wait until right after Christmas and you'll start to see the real deals when stores are trying to clear space for 2015 models.
2002 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2014 Fender Strat (American Nitro Honeyburst)
2003 Ibanez Acoustic
Digitech RP500
Blackstar HT5R
Meh, the only one I even thought about getting is only discounted by 10%.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Just try before you buy, guys.

I bought a Gibby LP Classic this year. The store had 4 of this year's model, and I tried all of them, and crap as I am, I could tell the difference blindfolded.

2 of them felt OK, one of them felt pretty horrible, and the one I bought is without doubt the best guitar I've ever played.

Yes. Pretty standard for Gibsons these days. It helps a lot if you can go to a decent independent store that sets them up properly, too. GC stuff seems to go straight from the box to the wall and then it gets molested by teenagers every weekend.

Quote by paul.housley.7
I love the blue 2014 LPs. Not in the future for me, but maybe one of ya will manage to get a good deal and post pics here so that I can live vicariously?

Their recent blue LPs are so pretty.

The blue is a cool color, but what you don't see unless you're looking at it in person is the weird off-white/yellowish coloring incorporated in the blue. When I first saw it, I thought the model I was looking at was damaged in some way, but nope, all of them have it.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes. Pretty standard for Gibsons these days. It helps a lot if you can go to a decent independent store that sets them up properly, too. GC stuff seems to go straight from the box to the wall and then it gets molested by teenagers every weekend.

Every GC store I’ve been to keeps the MIA guitars behind a counter or up too high to reach and won’t let kids play them unless a parent is there and serious about buying.
Quote by jpnyc
Every GC store I’ve been to keeps the MIA guitars behind a counter or up too high to reach and won’t let kids play them unless a parent is there and serious about buying.

It varies by store. The two closest to me don't do that. One of them has the particularly expensive (custom shop, special run) stuff behind the counter, but they'll let anyone who asks try them out (maybe they wouldn't let a younger kid, I don't really know). The other has one of those "platinum rooms" where everything is over $3K and locked up and you have to get a manager to play anything. In both stores the regular USA Gibsons are right on the wall, though.

Quote by nirvana_n_roses
why i cant find any gibson products on GC website ?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson,Guitar.gc

Quote by RyanMW2010
The blue is a cool color, but what you don't see unless you're looking at it in person is the weird off-white/yellowish coloring incorporated in the blue. When I first saw it, I thought the model I was looking at was damaged in some way, but nope, all of them have it.

The two I've seen haven't had that. Do you just mean that it's a thin finish and you can see the wood/grain underneath? Or did they really have a bunch of streaks and discolorations? The ones I saw looked really nice, no issues with the finish, so they're not all like that. Wouldn't be surprised if most of them were, though
Oh, that makes sense. I had to check myself to see if they had been pulled for some reason, GC has been having issues in the last few years and it would be a big deal if they got their Gibson dealership status revoked.
Quote by Roc8995
It varies by store. The two closest to me don't do that. One of them has the particularly expensive (custom shop, special run) stuff behind the counter, but they'll let anyone who asks try them out (maybe they wouldn't let a younger kid, I don't really know). The other has one of those "platinum rooms" where everything is over $3K and locked up and you have to get a manager to play anything. In both stores the regular USA Gibsons are right on the wall, though.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson,Guitar.gc

The two I've seen haven't had that. Do you just mean that it's a thin finish and you can see the wood/grain underneath? Or did they really have a bunch of streaks and discolorations? The ones I saw looked really nice, no issues with the finish, so they're not all like that. Wouldn't be surprised if most of them were, though

I mean that there's a bunch of yellowish streaks and discolorations. I've seen at least 3 in person that have had it. It's really ugly and bizarre.
Yikes. Guess my local store got a good batch. Too bad about the botched ones, they're great looking guitars when they're done right.
Quote by Roc8995

thought they gave up fret edge binding in 2014?

ikes that binding is pink.
Quote by NewDayHappy

fenders tend to be quite economical considering their lineup includes some of the least expensive american made guitars out there. they may not be feature rich but from squire to MIA fender is ahead of par in terms of playability and sound.

that, however, can't be said about gibson considering to get the "iconic" LP with binding you're paying twice what an american standard strat costs.
Quote by Roc8995
...[ ].....Their recent blue LPs are so pretty.

I thought they were at least supposed to feign caring about the tiger maple being book matched.

The stripes on that guitar aren't even close to matching up
Quote by RyanMW2010
Too bad GC never carries lefty Gibson guitars

call a sam ash store. they do have some lefties.

and by call a sam ash store i don't mean go online and look at their web site. i mean pick up the phone and call a store. the guys in the stores have access to the complete company wide inventory for every store (54 in total?) whereas the online store only sees what they have in boxes, at the online store warehouse (1 location).