Page 1 of 2
And why does he wear a Fedora?

I dunno about you guys, but when I first heard of the Fedora-wearing Neckbeard I thought it was the parody of a set of characteristics of a ridiculous character that doesn't exist. One which deserved shaming and ridicule, as one uses it as an insult. And that's all I thought it was. However!

Then I noticed these people were real and I saw them everywhere.

Suddenly I started seeing white pasty guys with thin hair wearing a fedora and a long trenchcoat, sported by the trademark neck beard, or in most cases, neck peach fuzz. I didn't see them everyday, but walking in a city packed with people you're bound to see them. At the very least, they're more common than the albino, but its real demographics are skewed since it is unclear how many are hermits.

Where did they come from? Were they always there or are they a recent phenomenon? And most importantly - is there a nest somewhere?
Could the Neckbeard be the Emo, the hippie, the punk of this generation?
Why do we use a Neckbeard and a Fedora as insults towards people whose social standing we assume to require ridicule?
We need real answers here, people.
Possibly because socially inept people perceive neckbeards, trenchcoats and fedoras as being marques of maturity and manliness.

idk lol
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I think this must be bait. You're trying to bait people to insult you, huh?

Anyways, I don't know anything about neckbeards and fedoras, I never actually considered a fedora to be a sign of anything other than sun protection, and when I hear "neckbeard" I just think of someone with poor hygiene.
Look up Chris Chan, he is i think the symbol of a neckbeard. He has failed so hard.
Aren't they pretty much just 4chan and reddit r/athiest dwellers that usually fill out the stereotype.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Aren't they pretty much just 4chan and reddit r/athiest dwellers that usually fill out the stereotype.

Probably internet tough guys as well.
foreveralonefedoras.tumblr.com

Be enlightened by your own intellect my atheist brothers. Pray to our hero Dawkins and Bill Nye the science guy.
Aren't emo's the emo's of this generation anyway?

As for the question, I think it isn't seen like a universally negative thing so it wouldn't have much effetc, considering the people being insulted with that would likely find it cool.

Maybe we just gotta hate more on them, who knows...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

yes. we're still here.

i could write quite a bit about fedoras and related fashions in our youth (and old people who might as well be 12) but i don't think it's really worth anything more than lel
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Spambot_2

As for the question, I think it isn't seen like a universally negative thing so it wouldn't have much effetc, considering the people being insulted with that would likely find it cool.

Maybe we just gotta hate more on them, who knows...

On the topic of Emos.

You know what is with people thinking that metal = emo?

it isn't.
The neckbeard is a beard on the neck.

#Joshuafacts
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Emo is probably the most metal subculture ever
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
ITT: Emo's cant get over a new subculture replacing theirs - Thereby increasing their emo-ness in response.
Quote by Valience
ITT: Emo's cant get over a new subculture replacing theirs - Thereby increasing their emo-ness in response.

what
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by Axelfox
On the topic of Emos.

it isn't.

Because some people actually think bands like Asking Alexandria are emo and metal, so they associate all metal as emo.
Quote by Axelfox
On the topic of Emos.

it isn't.

& thank god for that (-:/

4chan /g/

That is the home of the neckbeard. They hate you if you don't use Linux and they all jerk off to anime.
Quote by guitarxo
Why do people have neck beards anyway? Like why wouldn't you shave your neck

Because its classy and goes well with a fedora m'lady
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by guitarxo

Laziness or mountain men.
Quote by guitarxo

Sometimes I won't shave for a week or two because I'm just too lazy. I don't grow a neckbeard from it though. I imagine the neckbeard comes from laziness mixed with an inability to grow hair anywhere but the neck.
^ damn that'd be welcome in the cringe thread...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by stratkat

You'd think being famous and all he'd have wanted to lose weight seeing as he's on camera a lot, but I think he's actually put on more weight in the last 5 years or so. Maybe because he's always the fat funny guy in the movies they want him to put on even MORE weight. I cracked the code team.
I'm sporting a neckbeard right now. Haven't shaved in a while.

It signifies nothing really. Its use as a pejorative stems from some 20 somethings' belief that masculinity should be worshiped, the kinda people who'll call you 'alpha/beta'. Although now I see those very same people using it as an insult too.

To me, it's all about unhappiness and a lack of care for how my face looks.
Quote by guitarxo

They grow beards for hard rock/metal credentials, however they cannot grow a properly even facial hair, most of it is on the chin/neck. They are however unwilliing to shave because having a beard is alternative so grow a mass of pubes on their neck and chin.

Shout out to all guys - if you can't grow even facial hair or stubble, just shave it off as soon as it becomes visible, otherwise it looks gross.

There's also the neckbeard/fedora connotation of being fat and unhealthy, being somehow enlightened from the rest of society with atheist thinking, the uncommon but not rare furry connection.

A key part of being a neckbeard is usually misogyny. Whilst not always so they will complain about being a nice guy but being friendzoned and then go on a torrent of abuse against women.

A typical neckbeard:
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I'm sporting a neckbeard right now. Haven't shaved in a while.

It signifies nothing really. Its use as a pejorative stems from some 20 somethings' belief that masculinity should be worshiped, the kinda people who'll call you 'alpha/beta'. Although now I see those very same people using it as an insult too.

To me, it's all about unhappiness and a lack of care for how my face looks.

I actually think I'd suit a beard. Like a proper full-on, Brian Blessed sort of beard. Or maybe a Gimli.

Mainly because anything that obscures my features should be considered an improvement.

But since I failed to inherit even my dad's awesome moustache-growing ability(never mind the fact that, when I do leave off shaving, it seems my facial hair can't ****ing decide what colour it is, there's goddamn dark, light and even bloody ginger in there. I could take any one of them, but all three? **** that), it's not going to happen.

Unless I buy myself one of these:

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I can't really grow a beard, but if I could I'd probably look like teenage Bin Laden anyway

omg sorry for laughing at this

i can't even grow a neckbeard it's just patchy and grows more on one side than the other

stupid facial hair
I don't shave Wednesday from Monday, because I work event security, its just one less area to apply sunscreen too
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I can't really grow a beard, but if I could I'd probably look like teenage Bin Laden anyway

Teenage Bin Laden was pretty hot man.
I think i can grow a neckbeard but not one as great as Jonah Hills
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Last edited by cha33 armstrong at Sep 4, 2014,
Quote by vayne92
You'd think being famous and all he'd have wanted to lose weight seeing as he's on camera a lot, but I think he's actually put on more weight in the last 5 years or so. Maybe because he's always the fat funny guy in the movies they want him to put on even MORE weight. I cracked the code team.

he's actually lost a fair bit of weight
Quote by Philip_pepper

Could the Neckbeard be the Emo, the hippie, the punk of this generation?

Nah.

Why do we use a Neckbeard and a Fedora as insults towards people whose social standing we assume to require ridicule?

Because, for some reason, certain nerdy people think that growing scraggly neckbeards and fedoras make them look "badass", which makes the rest of us go, "You're an idiot".
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 4, 2014,
Having a fedora and/or a neckbeard is just an outward symbol of total lack of self-awareness.
Page 1 of 2