****I wanted to place this topic in Guitar technicues, but changed my mind since it isn't really about technique or so. Hence, I did not know where else to place it than in the pit.****

I have a question regarding my practice routine.

What I basically do is practice the material I get from the guitar teacher each week. This is mostly ear training (finding the chords of a song), improvisation over jazz and blues backing tracks & tips regarding improvisation, classical pieces (I also play classical guitar), sometimes a riff that is technically challenging, and so on.

In the past 4 years that I'm playing guitar, I have never touched a tab or anything. I know how to read it, but I just didn't bother since I already have a great teacher that provides me material.

However, I still do not know a single song. Of course I can find out the chords of a song pretty easily and play them along, but that is not what I mean with 'knowing how to play a song', since everybody can do chord strummig. What I mean is really covering a song's guitar exactly as the original.

Take for example the following song and cover (Red Hot Chili Peppers - Tearjerker):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbeQBKKncJQ

I once had to find this song out by ear, and without much trouble I found out the chords. However, as soon as I found out the chords, I immediately carried on with other stuff (since it was basically an ear training assignment). But to play it as that cover? I have never attempted that! (this goes for many such songs with melodies...as soon as I found out the chords, I carried on with something else and never really bother with playing the melody as exactly as the original).

Due to this I can't play a single song as the original was played. I don't even know if I can, technically speaking, since I have never tried it.

Does anybody else play guitar as I do? (don't get me wrong, I really do practice religiously the stuff I get and am fully concentrated while practicing, it is not bullchitting around or so :p) Are there any more people that play for a couple of years guitar, but when it comes to it, can't cover any song with the melody and all? Also, what did you do when you realized you actually can't play a single song (again, as precise as the original with the melody and stuff, not only the chords or so)
Last edited by soulnrock at Sep 3, 2014,
Maybe you should try playing jazz instead
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
But I already play jazz, actually, most of the material the teacher hands me is jazz
I'v been playing for over 5 years and there is not too many full songs I can play. For me either the full song isn't fun to play, or the song doesn't sound good without a backing track/full band. Plus I tend to lose interest fast.
Step 1: Drop the guitar

Step 2: Buy a Mac

Step 3: Make wubz
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I don't think I know any song in it's entirety (meaning what was originally written) and I'm going on 10 years. I know the jive of a song, though, and I can replicate it just from knowing the jive.

I don't think you should have to play everything perfectly according to the original recording to "know" a song. That song was written by someone else, and you probably have something a bit different to say then that person did.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 3, 2014,
ok ya all, soulnrock has hit on a bit of my problem only I have only ever had a teacher in high school. I can play songs by ear. Chords a breeze except for artists like Bonnie Raitt (blues chords are harder to play and hear). Instead of not being able to play the rythum and basic melody, I can't play any lead riffs. I know scales probably like soulnrock, but I only finger pick a sort of instumental. What;s the point of knowing scales if you can't figure out how to do any lead parts in a song? Need someone to show me some shortcuts I guess!
I like Will's' thoughts on music, but talent is natural. Can technical flow into talent!!!
Quote by JoJoRees
What;s the point of knowing scales?

there isn't one
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by caeser1156

came here to post this get on it kiddo come on lets go
banned
TS, have you heard of punk rock? If you can't figure out The Ramones, you're just hopeless.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Just give up and spend the rest of eternity in The Pit. That's what we've all done.

I mean, you put it harshly but in a way I can accept. Nice rhetoric.

I know, I have a bachelors degree in communications.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by caeser1156

I Thought Youre Suppose To Drop The Bass
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Should've posted this in Guitar Techniques if you wanted a serious answer.

Seriously though, you might need a new amp AND a fog machine
Quote by MeTallIcA313
I'v been playing for over 5 years and there is not too many full songs I can play. For me either the full song isn't fun to play, or the song doesn't sound good without a backing track/full band. Plus I tend to lose interest fast.

Quote by Will Lane
I don't think I know any song in it's entirety (meaning what was originally written) and I'm going on 10 years. I know the jive of a song, though, and I can replicate it just from knowing the jive.

I don't think you should have to play everything perfectly according to the original recording to "know" a song. That song was written by someone else, and you probably have something a bit different to say then that person did.

Have to agree with both of these. TS, the best way to play full songs all the way through is to join a band, or something, because then people will shout at you if you stop halfway through.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Just find a song and learn it, its really that simple
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________