Hey guys, I'm back! I'm excited to present another cool instrumental. It's heavy, it's jazzy, and the main theme is in 9/8! Please check it out, and comment or like (or share).

Measures Of Discipline

I'll C4C, as fast as I can.

Follow me on Soundcloud; I'll be releasing more in the near future (and you can check out my first track as well).

Thanks!
Thanks for checking out my song!

I really liked your tune. The guitar work is impeccable and the contrasting dynamics of the different themes go really well together.

The drums sounded a bit too MIDI and I get the feeling that it isn't a band playing but just this guitar guy, which is quite impressive and ambitious in it's own right, but it's still apparent.
How was it recorded? Is it all you?

I might just follow you if you keep posting interesting stuff!
Have a good one!
Thanks man! Yeah, the drums are MIDI, but I try to make them sound as natural as possible. However, I am going for that dry modern metal drum sound, which sounds kinda robotic even when an actual drummer is playing.

I wrote and play and recorded everything else though. I'm using Cubase.
Last edited by eatfresh1736 at Sep 4, 2014,
Hey man. This track is really well written and the performance is nice and tight. The mix is a little off for me in places. When the powerchord stuff is going on towards the end the kick and snare get a little lost. The lead around 1:55 kinda jumps out a little to much for me.

Other than that, yeah the drums sound a little synthetic but that is a problem many of us experience.

I also had a listen to A Lumberjack Enraged. As a matter of personal preference I preferred it (it got me nodding along a lot more). Again the riffs are well written and the performance is spot on. The solo worked well. Not sure what instrument you used around 2:55 (sounds too high for a guitar) but it sounded awesome!

It would be cool to hear some vocals on these tracks too.

Either way, you gained a follower.

Cheers
Thanks a lot! That mystery instrument is a mandolin with a bit of chorus. I was going to use an acoustic guitar, but then I was like "Screw this, let's just make it weird." I could still use a little practice with my mixing skills before I get it right. If I eventually put a band together, I'll pay for a professional recording sessions so we could just focus on the music.

Vocals might be cool, but I write these as instrumentals. Although I might use vocals every now and then for effect. A song that I'm in the middle of now has some cool gothic choir voices.

Thanks again.
I really like this. Its got a nice tight sound and it's all over the place in a good way. The mix is a bit off here and there, but all in all is done pretty well. I really liked the breakdown area. Its got some great riffage in there. I also checked out your other track and I enjoyed it quite a bit! You've got some great talent, m'friend. If only I had a tinge of the guitar talent you have, man. Hah. I think some vocal work in your songs could do them a good bit of justice as well. All in all I can't wait to hear more from you, m'friend!

Check mine out?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1655915
Quote by mangablade
If star wars had a Heavy Metal band (no not "Vader" lol), then you would be it. You sound like a anrgy mother****ing Yoda.

I sound like an angry Yoda...is that a good thing...or a bad thing? lol
Haha, we checked each other's stuff out at the same time! I left a comment with some suggestions in your thread.

Thanks for listening. I try to balance my stuff with weird, complex riffs, and simple grooves. The two songs I'm in the middle of writing now are very different from each other. One is a straight up (mostly) 4/4 riff-fest, and the other is a disjointed, almost Meshuggah sounding song.