I'm so used to hearing that smooth jazz tone and then my girlfriend showed me this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_WHh7gMJqV4

The trumpets sound like angry bees to me.
My girlfriend is a seasoned trumpet player and she can't figure out how they get that tone. Can someone help?
I don't know trumpets very well, but it sounds like some sort of mute
superman is killing himself tonight
The trumpets sound harmonized. It's usually a huge banda with several brass instruments.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I don't think those are real trumpets. It sounds to me like everything is being played on a keyboard with instrument patches. Anyone else?

Everything sounds way too even and the vibrato sounds kind of cheesy.
We figured that it was a mute of some sort but we couldn't figure out what kind.
They might also be digital trumpets because they do sound really crisp and even.
I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to look up a live version.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
I don't think those are real trumpets. It sounds to me like everything is being played on a keyboard with instrument patches. Anyone else?

Everything sounds way too even and the vibrato sounds kind of cheesy.

literally every song in this genre sounds like this
Well I found this http://youtu.be/lFkrMV-ZNZA and at about 0:33 the trumpets sound more "normal" and it doesn't look like they have any mute.
So you guys are probably right that they're digital instruments in the studio recording.
you should probably get your gf to raspberry your balls if she's a seasoned trumpet player
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
they're not real trumpets, they're synths. if you want to hear good trumpet sounds, listen to Miles Davis and Maynard Ferguson and Dizzy Gillespie.

Can't forget about Neil Armstrong, though.
My roommate is a pro trumpet player...well if you count "does nothing else but live on SSI disability" a "professional."

(Joking aside he's a super cool & nice dude who happens to suffer from epilepsy)
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
^Dude, he had testicular cancer. Be nice.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
^Dude, he had testicular cancer. Be nice.

Oh my god, I didn't know that. I really hope he pulls through

Quote by MeGaDeth2314

I really hope you're joking

Listen man, I don't mind that you don't like his music, but please don't laugh at me just because I do.
There's at least a LOT of processing going on in that original recording, if not full-on digital horns.

As for the 'Mariachi sound', a lot of Mariachi players prefer the old 60's Conn Connstellation 38B's for their bright sound and quick response, then they throw on a shallow mouthpiece with a tight bore to make it even brighter.

I'd recommend trying something like a Kanstul 991 (which is based on the old Connstellations) coupled with a Shilke 14A4A or Jet Tone T2B (or MF, if you blow like Maynard!). That should get you in the ball-park.
There's a lot of EQ and compression going on there.