I'm trying to get into writing songs again, as I gave up/lost interest about a year ago, every time I try writing songs, I either come up with nothing that sounds right, or it sounds right in my head then sounds wrong when it's coming from the guitar. I tried something new to give me ideas for riffs, I tried playing the instrumental versions of songs from Metallica, Testament, Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, and anything like that (one from each so it's "evenly distributed") and then I'll listen really close and see if out of all of those songs I can find bits of the songs that come together and sound really cool. That may not have made much sense but if it did I would like for someone to tell me if this is an appropriate way to come up with songs.
The appropriate method to write songs is the one which gives you the best results. If it's working for you keep doing it, if not, try to find a better way.

One thing: If something sounds right in your head and not when it comes out of the guitar it's either wrong in your guitar, meaning you're not playing the same thing that's in your head or that there's some other instrument in your head along with the guitar (yes, it makes a huge difference), or wrong in your head, meaning that maybe it's not really clear in your head and it's just a faint idea.
First of all my humble request to you is never give up your confidence and please don't have over confidence also please keep on trying till you get what you actually needed and what will really satisfies you.
Sounds like you are flirting with ripping off somebody else's music lol. Might as well wear a big gold chain and get into rap music.
Jimmy cracked corn and I did care.
Writing is a gift and not all are having such skills, you are blessed with music. Within one day you cannot be a good writer or you cannot develop songs. Keep on trying to reach the final goal.
Quote by lesliemartindal
Writing is a gift and not all are having such skills, you are blessed with music. Within one day you cannot be a good writer or you cannot develop songs. Keep on trying to reach the final goal.

Writing is a skill just like any other, you can develop it and there's not such a thing as "gifted writers".