Maybe if they can sit right down for the first time and work out a simple melody by ear on 1 string is a good sign of at least some music talent

Bad timing is the worst to have, it can be fixed, but if you have it naturally you are way ahead already.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 4, 2014,
Some people have more musical ability, they'll learn things quicker and do them better faster, therefore progressing faster but that doesn't mean you have to have musical ability to learn an instrument, can you see if someone has musical ability? Yes but it's a weird question
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
I always stood out amongst the other instrumentalists in school and have really good control and speed with my fingers, so my parents assumed I'd be a natural.
I learn really slow. Like memorising information and logicly understand it how it works. So i definatly am slow learner
Talent can't be proven, but I'll tell you what all those so called "talented" guitarist have put in 1000's of hours of practice. So I guess the only real talent is discipline, and dedication there's no way in hell someones going to progress on the guitar naturally without putting in the hours. I get called talented all the time, but what people fail to realize is that i'm disciplined that's the only reason why i'm at the skill level i'm at.

Kobe Bryant, and Michael Jordan are legendary basket ball players they sure as hell didn't reach the top of ranks by being "Talented" they put in more hours than anyone else. The people that are first to arrive, and last to leave are the talented ones work ethic is the key to being talented. It's funny because people always come to me to transcribe a song that they can't figure out, and i'm always called talented because I can work things out really fast by ear.

When I first started learning by ear I struggled my way through learning Mary had a little Lamb, and Twinkle Twinkle little star. I worked my way up to have the ears I have today.. I had the patience, persistence, and perseverance to sit down, and transcribe records. It's a very slow and painful process, but you have to fail a lot in order to reach success. I sure as hell didn't figure out songs by my first listen, but I can now today because I was disciplined. All in all limitations are mental there are no limits you can take it as far as you want.

Last edited by Black_devils at Sep 4, 2014,
Quote by matiss.gutans
Does it exist? Like what you see drifrent from non talented person?

Yes.

1) rhythm - this is really the main element that distinguishes naturally talented people from naturally untalented people when it comes to music - some people have a great sense of time, timing and basic subdivision whereas some people don't have that instinct at all and need to count everything just to keep a simple beat.

2) hand eye coordination and movement - just like in sports, some people are just born with less of an aptitude for this.

3) smarts - math etc. some people are simply smarter out of the gate and this combined with the other two points leads to a pretty naturally talented musician.
Well as i have searching either your right side of brain or left side. I'm definatly creative side and not logical side. So i guess being bad at math makes me naturally creative?
Quote by reverb66
Yes.

1) rhythm - this is really the main element that distinguishes naturally talented people from naturally untalented people when it comes to music - some people have a great sense of time, timing and basic subdivision whereas some people don't have that instinct at all and need to count everything just to keep a simple beat.

2) hand eye coordination and movement - just like in sports, some people are just born with less of an aptitude for this.

3) smarts - math etc. some people are simply smarter out of the gate and this combined with the other two points leads to a pretty naturally talented musician.

Especially # 1. And I'd add "the ability to hear differences in notes" to that as well. I have a friend who is totally tone-deaf. It is painful to hear him whistle a familiar tune.

With the rhythm thing, I think it's innate in some people and not in others. If I hear a good groove, it doesn't matter what genre of music it's in, my feet start tapping in time to it. I feel that I have a very strong sense of timing, but oddly enough, I don't understand "counting" it and musical time signatures. I just know whether the timing is on or off.

I had a college musical composition class in which we had to write and perform original songs on piano. Well, I composed some stuff and played it for my professor. Afterword, he said, "that was nice, but what you played was not at all what you wrote." Anyway, on the last week, for a final, we had to play an original song on the instrument of our choice. Naturally, I played a death metal song on guitar for the class, in which there were many intricate polyrhythms and furious riffing. Afterward, the professor said "wow, you DO know about timing after all!!!" It's all controlled in my head, without any counting whatsoever.
Last edited by KailM at Sep 4, 2014,
^you should have counted especially when your doing a performance with out a drummer or time keeper it makes a huge difference.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Would talent be called of someone who can play guitar for 10 hours a day and just be mentally able to focus on it for that much time and not lose wanting to do it?
No, and to be honest this thread isn't going anywhere...seems to me you're just desperately wanting people to tell you you're special in some way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com