Hello guys ,
i have spent around 70 hrs of practicing with a pick (metal string acoustic ),and now i started all over again with classical guitar (with a teacher) ,because i like the Spanish type of music and generally the finger style .
Now i suddenly have 100 questions.
Can you please recommend what to do ,to focus only on one type of guitar or i can learn both types simultaneously ,i am not in a hurry ,i know that this is a lifetime learning ,but i do not want to end up discouraged at the end.
Please share your experience and advices.

Thank you very much in advance.
That's a hard call, and I will be interested in seeing what advice you get.

I've been playing for over 50 years, and I can see two different and better paths I could have taken than the one I have:

1) Get a good teacher and learn sight reading and deeper theory, that would have lead me into jazz, flamenco an/or latin.

2) Learn a wider range of playing skills than I have, ie include flatpicking and electric guitar.

All in all I think in the very long term I would have been better off with option 1, either for my own satisfaction of as a performer.
I don't see anything wrong with learning on both but I think if you learn on a steel string acoustic, you will find the classical guitar much easier to play than vice versa. However, if you like Spanish/classical and fingerstyle the most then you might want to focus mainly on that, but you can learn fingerstyle on the steel string too.
They are both "acoustic" guitars. One is a nylon-string, and one is a steel string.

The technique normally taught for classical playing is quite specific and disciplined, but it can be applied to playing fingerstyle on the steel string.
Flatpicking is quite a bit different, both in terms of technique and in the position the instrument is normally held.
Still...Many people play both, and more besides. The late Tommy Tedesco, a studio musician, used to have a huge packing case full of his instruments delivered to gigs...Several guitars, banjo, mandolin, uke, bouzuki....He could play 'em all.
Quote by ante35
Hello guys ,
i have spent around 70 hrs of practicing with a pick (metal string acoustic ),and now i started all over again with classical guitar (with a teacher) ,because i like the Spanish type of music and generally the finger style .
Now i suddenly have 100 questions.
Can you please recommend what to do ,to focus only on one type of guitar or i can learn both types simultaneously ,i am not in a hurry ,i know that this is a lifetime learning ,but i do not want to end up discouraged at the end.
Please share your experience and advices.

Thank you very much in advance.

I've spent 20 years playing electric, acoustic and classical - I ended up playing exclusively fingerstyle on all three types of guitars after a while since the pick became a limitation and was a bit of a waste of time from a technique standpoint ( I'll still use one for certain styles for tone reasons). I spent many years playing Classical fingerstyle and electric with a pick - there's no real issue - your left hand improves regardless and your picking will improve as you get better at fingerstyle ( not sure why, but it does).

Fingerstyle is a big time commitment but it's worth the effort. With the exception of Bluegrass and Django style jazz, I can't think of any style that really benefits from using a pick on an acoustic versus fingerstyle.

The pick gives you a more staccato attack . Check out Jesse Cook for an example of a nylon string guitarist who mixes the use of a pick and fingerstyle throughout his songs. You get a different tone from the pick, which can suit certain situations.

It's easier to have faster scale playing speeds using a pick. Check out Paco Delucia, John Mclauglin and Al Diemola's concert ( it's on you tube) if you want to see some amazing players ( Al and John play with a pick, whereas Paco plays fingerstyle) - Paco can play as fast and he's playing fingerstyle! He is the fastest I've heard on nylon string - the ultimate virtuoso.