Marshall MG15CF/CFX
2 10%
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
16 76%
Line 6 Spider IV 15
2 10%
Voters: 21.
Hello.
I am an absolute beginner and I need an amp. I've read reviews, watched loads of videos and went to my local music store to listen to some amps performing 'live'. And I've 'narrowed' it down to these things:
Yamaha GA15; Cort MX15R; Marshall MG15CF/CFX; Line 6 Spider IV 15W.
And I would buy the Peavey Vypyr VIP 1, but it's not available in my local store and this means I have to use eBay/musiciansfriend etc. to get it, which might be a bit risky (didn't hear it live too).
So what I want from my amp: build and sound quality (at that price range) and versatility (great distortion and great clean tone). No rock/metal/blues preferences. A good practice amp basically. Should I stick with the 'classic' no frills Marshall amps (the listed ones), or should I go somewhat deeper?
Sorry if something seems noobish. Please forgive me this time.
Thank you.
Edited - thanks for the feedback (where did you find that page?

Budget - up to ~180US$/110 GBP.

Genres - rock/alternative rock/classic rock/metal/blues/punk rock/psychedelic rock.

Preferably new gear, home use only.

Closest City - Aalborg (Denmark).

Current Gear - none, just a few picks.
Last edited by annoying100 at Sep 4, 2014,
I bought a mg15cfr to carry around to "light/songwriting" sessions yesterday for $140usd. I'm honestly shocked how well it sounded from the last time I plugged into one. It's a solid no frill practice amp for sure. It'll get the job done. Just be sure to keep enough money in your budget for a guitar.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-gigmaker-eg-electric-guitar-pack/516049000001000?source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KEQjwm6CgBRC0zOmrydrqmosBEiQA_xoLRp6DdCvPEBPQK8VsBYhhZhYJcZH_aFE21mqfgHQJqpsaAm3X8P8HAQ&kwid=productads-plaid^18283950120-sku^516049000001000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^46504699467#productDetail

Since you said you didn't have a guitar, either... I had something like this for my first electric/amp ever. It was solid at the time for a beginner, and still would be if I did a little work on the guitar. At $260 for both an amp and guitar, that's killer. If that music store has this package, definitely try it out.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 4, 2014,
I too would like to recommend buying none of those listed amps
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
The only thing I can really say is "not the line 6". They are not what they used to be and they sound really digital, processed, and muddy.

I've heard bad things about the Marshall MG's too.

The Peavey is a popular choice on these forums usually. I would say that one.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
None of those.

I'm assuming your budget is very low, around $100?

Get either the Kustom KG112FX or the Acoustic G35FX. The significant difference that sets them apart is that they have proper 12" speakers, which makes all of the difference in the bass response and fullness of your tone. You'll grow out of all of the amps you listed in a matter of months (possibly even weeks) because they sound thin and harsh because of their tiny speakers. 12" is the standard guitar speaker size, and the Kustom or Acoustic will be something you can keep around as a practice or backup amp potentially indefinitely.

If you can save up more, I would highly recommend a Peavey Vypyr VIP-2 over either of those though. It is a far better sounding amp, and has way more features and capabilities.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ryanbwags
The only thing I can really say is "not the line 6". They are not what they used to be and they sound really digital, processed, and muddy.

I've heard bad things about the Marshall MG's too.

The Peavey is a popular choice on these forums usually. I would say that one.

+1

Someone also mentioned Kustom - worth checking out.
Wash cars, mow lawns or clean out rain gutters. Spend a bit more and get 10x the amp.
Roland Cube, Peavy Vypyr, Vox Valvtronix, Fender Mustang, all offer a bunch more guitar tone in a practice amp worthy of keeping for years.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by annoying100

Edited - thanks for the feedback (where did you find that page?

Budget - up to ~180US$/110 GBP.

Genres - rock/alternative rock/classic rock/metal/blues/punk rock/psychedelic rock.

Preferably new gear, home use only.

Closest City - Aalborg (Denmark).

Current Gear - none, just a few picks.

Where did I find that page? I wrote it mang.

That page is Post #2 of the Rules and Resource Center which is a 'sticky' on this forum. Look. See it now? Of the ones you have I'd personally take the VIP but as Cajundaddy said - a bit more $$ and your tone will be upgraded significantly. For example, I really dig my used Peavey Vypyr 60 tube hybrid.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Wash cars, mow lawns or clean out rain gutters. Spend a bit more and get 10x the amp.
Roland Cube, Peavy Vypyr, Vox Valvtronix, Fender Mustang, all offer a bunch more guitar tone in a practice amp worthy of keeping for years.

^With that logic just keep saving til you can afford a Mesa Mark V, that would be the best beginner's amp ever
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
^With that logic just keep saving til you can afford a Mesa Mark V, that would be the best beginner's amp ever

Naw, $250-$300 will buy a good quality practice amp new. $180 could buy something like a Micro-Cube but there is a pretty big jump in tone quality between those two price points. I actually like the Micro-Cube for what it is, but don't confuse it with a larger Cube or a Vypyr in terms of guitar tone. Pretty deep compromises have to be made for an amp to retail below $200.

As we develop over time as players, I see a value in eventually owning a good $250-$300 grab-n-go practice amp, A digital multi effects for silent jamming, and one or two gig quality tube amps for playing live. YMMV
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY