So I started doing recordings a couple years ago on my mac using Garageband. I installed some nice plugins for it and I've basically mastered the program. I can put out semi-professional recordings using just Garageband and I'm more than happy with it. I only ever did recordings for fun or for demo's with my band. I have no interest in learning Pro Tools are anything complicated and powerful. I'm just looking for the Windows equivalent of Garageband that's maybe a step up from it.

Like I said, I only do this for fun and I use Garageband because it's stupid simple. But I'm selling my Mac and my PC and building one really nice PC, so I need new software. otherwise I was just fine using Garageband.

I don't know much about DAW's, but I need something with midi drums capabilities either built in or a good plugin for it. And I would like something with plenty of built in presets for effects and mastering and such. I used mostly the plugins that I installed in GB because it's built in tools were garbage, but I still used the reverb, delay, chorus, amps, and filters in Garageband. Does any one have any suggestions for a Window's based DAW that might fight my needs? Thanks!
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Do you have a budget? That does make a difference. If it's below $75, then you'll want Reaper.

Otherwise, the most similar to GB is Presonus Studio One. It comes with a lot of their interfaces, which are priced fairly low, so if you don't have an interface yet then you could get a pretty good deal on the software and hardware together.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
At the moment, no, I have no budget, I just want to see what my options are, then decide which to buy.
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Garageband is a DAW sam, no need to get snooty.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
All modern DAWs run on Windows.

Even excluding Garageband... Logic doesn't.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
get reaper, The full version is free for the first 60 days (or forever if you choose to dog it) and in my opinion is better and soooo much more simple than pro tools
Fruity Loops
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
All modern DAWs run on Windows.

Note: GarageBand is NOT a DAW. It's a recording program.

Think you'll find it's closer to the other way around... I know of more Mac-only software and hardware (Apogee... Metric Halo... etc. ) than PC-only, and I hate to break it to you but a lot of it is high end stuff
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I recommend Cakewalk Music Creator 6 (touch screen). You don't need a touch screen it just happens to be the newest version and is touch screen compatible. It's less than $50.00... has nice drums and drum loops, built in Roland TTS midi sound modual (vastly updated Sound Canvas), excellent built in effects (reverbs, dlays, compressors etc.) and works well with any other VST plug ins.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 5, 2014,
I started out with Reaper as my first DAW, when I was using my POD X3 Live as an interface. When I bought my Presonus Audio Box 44VSL, it came with Studio One Artist. Since then, I upgraded to Studio One Producer, and from there, to Studio One Professional. Me personally, I like the work flow of Studio One, not to say that Reaper's was bad either. All the stuff that is included with Studio One, especially Professional fits me fine. A lot of the companies offer "trial" versions as well, so you can try a few out and then decide which one to purchase.
Reaper. Easy to use at a simple level and good with complex projects as well. Great support community when you have questions. I like the quick & easy audio editing, flexible signal routing and automation control. Tons of YT tutorials on practically every Reaper feature. Low price but that's probably just because its developer is a multimillionaire who made a fortune creating and eventually selling off Winamp a few yrs ago and then turned to his personal interest of audio recording. It's worth more than it costs.

Maybe try demos of several apps and see what fits your workflow.