So i finally got my hands on a really nice deluxe series mim strat. it sounds awesome. the guy strung it up with some 9s and i finally got my hands on some exlir polyweb 10s, so decided to wait til tonight to have a go at setting the action etc.

the first thing i did was to block the trem and add in two more springs to have it flush to the body. fine. the next thing i needed to do was replace the bridge saddle screws as the ones on it i didnt have a hex/allen key for, and they were also all rounded off an not adjustable. so i replaced those. i then tuned it up and have started getting fret buzz.

the buzz is still there, and my bridge saddles cant go any higher, so i figure that my neck needs a slight adjustment. as far as i can tell the nut is fine. however, i dont have an allen key for the truss rod (metric vs imperial), so im gunna have to wait and order one.

so my questions are :

- what order should you adjust everything ? neck, bridge height/action,then intonation ?

- with the bridge saddle screws, there are 6 pairs, with 2 of the 6 being longer than the others. which saddles do these go in ? the D and G strings , or the low and high e ?

- my high is also now sitting a little to close to the edge of the fretboard for comfort. this is new and was fine before i started fiddling. can i shift this back towards the middle of the fretboard by an adjustment with the bridge saddles ?

cheers
I don't know if you have access to the tools to do it or not but you should check your string height at the nut. Sometimes when people put heavey strings on they will get carried away filing the nut which can cause strings to not sit right on the fret board (I used 58-13 strings one time, I know this from expierence). You said something about longer saddles? Are they physically longer or not screwed in the same distance? And just check over the simple things first. Where is the fret buzz?
My main axe is made from the crucifix, strung with barbed wire, and tuned to z standard then i use a boss metal zone, gain 10, into a line 6, bass 10, mid 0, treble 10, this is the only way to be truly brootal
Quote by elsatanica
I don't know if you have access to the tools to do it or not but you should check your string height at the nut. Sometimes when people put heavey strings on they will get carried away filing the nut which can cause strings to not sit right on the fret board (I used 58-13 strings one time, I know this from expierence). You said something about longer saddles? Are they physically longer or not screwed in the same distance? And just check over the simple things first. Where is the fret buzz?

its not the saddle length, its the saddle screws are different lengths/heights. i dont think its the nut,as the strings arent any deeper into the nut. the fret buzz is around the lower frets.