If I bought this thing for quiet practice with quality headphones, would I notice $2000 worth of an improvement over my Mustang III V.2, which sounds really nice through phones?
Do you own a Ferrari and tour professionally? If so then a Kemper is right up your alley. Otherwise the Mustang III or a Pod will get you 95-99% there.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 5, 2014,
Simple answer, yes.

Long answer, with the Kemper you will not only have one nice tone, you will have hundreds of near perfect tones simulating famous amps at your fingertips. If you are just buying it for practice, though, that may be overkill. If you are doing home recording and you want to spend the money on it I'd say go for it. If you are just at home practicing and looking for something to play through when you can't play an amp, I'd say go for a cheaper option like a rack mound POD HD.

EDIT:

Quote by Cajundaddy
Do you own a Ferrari and tour professionally? If so than a Kemper is right up your alley. Otherwise the Mustang III or a Pod will get you 95-99% there.

Uh, I don't think Ryan Bruce owns a Ferrari or tours....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF-C43je_BA&list=PLC2EF6868F71EC4E3
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Sep 4, 2014,
Ditto on the short answer.

For the long answer, Kemper is the best choice for someone with one or just a few choice guitars and access to lots of great amps to profile. The problem with the Kemper is is copies the sound coming from the amp after it is produced with one guitar. The copy will sound different if you use another guitar. It's not enough to be a big deal for most people, but then again, if it's not a big deal to you then something cheaper and more versatile would be a better choice anyway.

The best use of a a Kemper is for someone who needs to accurately reproduce a bunch of different amp tones in a lot of different locations without lugging around a bunch of different amps.

Otherwise you're better off with an Axe FX, and even then you might still be better off wih the Axe. The Axe is the best approach of anything on the market right now--it's just so damn expensive once you get all the necessary accessories.

11 Rack might be a better choice for most of us though, if money is a factor, and a POD HD 500 will still be slightly overkill for most of us.

The Kemper is a super cool idea, and mostly a great concept, but it's limited by the influence different guitars will have on it--it won't react to the different guitars the same way the amps it's modeling would. The other products out there are better at that, even much cheaper ones.
Just to add on: If you are thinking of getting a Kemper, keep in mind that the profiling for clean sounds isn't exactly where it needs to be yet.

If you watch the demos the dirt (especially the heavier ones) sounds almost, if not exactly, dead on. When they compare the cleans though, it seems like there's almost a loss in signal. The notes don't sustain as well and it sounds noticeably thinner.

So if you play lots of clean stuff, I'd look elsewhere

I don't know. I can be a snob about tone, but I thought I'd point it out.

Honestly? If you're just practicing, I have to +1 the suggestion of getting a Line6 POD. It's going to give you any sound you'll need and it sounds good enough that most of the metal guys in my area just plug those straight into the PA without an amp. If money's not an issue, grab the POD HD rack unit and a little rack that fits on your desk. You'll have headphones and all the FX you need right by your computer so you can dial shit in, read tabs, put on backing tracks, and do yo thang
Last edited by mjones1992 at Sep 5, 2014,
No offense, but I'm going to have to completely disagree.

While you WILL hear a difference, spending $2k just to practice silently through headphones is a complete waste of money IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Basically yeah. As already stated, a Pod HD will probably get you where you wanna be.

Its like buying a Bugatti Veyron to nip down to the shops once or twice a week, just overkill.
Ok, appreciate all the input. I'm leaning to the overkill side after all of this, but turns out my dealer has one so I think I'll give it a try in store next to a POD.
I say go grab a used bean (line 6 pod)
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Overkill. You're talking a lot of firepower for what would amount to home defense. Of course if you have the most discerning ear, and that little extra means the world to you, go for it. I have a POD HD and for metal tones the thing slays. Cleans definitely leave something to be desired, but that's pretty standard of modelers.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Overkill. You're talking a lot of firepower for what would amount to home defense. Of course if you have the most discerning ear, and that little extra means the world to you, go for it. I have a POD HD and for metal tones the thing slays. Cleans definitely leave something to be desired, but that's pretty standard of modelers.

If he's that discerning then he wouldn't be happy with it anyway. If so and he has the disposable income, then he'd be far better off with an Axe FX. It will also cover effects (and not just a few basic ones).
If you are going to start a home studio then Kemper would make sense. For recording it can recreate amp sounds practically spot on to original. (just check youtube for blind test) For practice purposes though, having the device makes no sense. Just get Pod HD or AxeFX if you have the money to spare. Good amp simulations and effects, all built in and ready to be toyed with. Or if you have an ipad or iphone then a decent interface to connect your guitar into and some of the amp modeling software like amplitube or jamup will be even cheaper choice.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Black'n'Tan
For the long answer, Kemper is the best choice for someone with one or just a few choice guitars and access to lots of great amps to profile. The problem with the Kemper is is copies the sound coming from the amp after it is produced with one guitar. The copy will sound different if you use another guitar. It's not enough to be a big deal for most people, but then again, if it's not a big deal to you then something cheaper and more versatile would be a better choice anyway.

The guitar isn't being profiled with the Kemper. The only part your guitar is involved in is if you choose to refine the tone at the end, which the Kemper references to the profile it just took of the amp and adjusts slightly to the power chords you play afterwards. Usually this "refining" process just adjusts the dynamic response and frequency range of the profile, any tone that is shaped from the guitar can easily be adjusted on a new guitar with a few minor adjustments in EQ, if they're needed at all. IMO, the Kemper is still far more realistic than the Axe-FX, whether you make your own profiles or use someone else's

Quote by Black'n'Tan
If he's that discerning then he wouldn't be happy with it anyway. If so and he has the disposable income, then he'd be far better off with an Axe FX. It will also cover effects (and not just a few basic ones).

The only instance I'd buy an Axe again is if I needed a ton of high quality effects and I was playing live all the time and needed tons of routing options. Either way, both units were made to be used with high-quality monitors and/or PA speakers - even the best headphones don't even remotely do justice to either unit, where buying something like the POD HD would garner similar results, and save a ton of money.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well I did it, ended up getting the Kemper. Why the hell not. But that's gonna be a lot of peanut butter sandwiches for me over the next who knows how long!
That went fast.

Hope you enjoy it man! I actually got the Kemper myself recently and it's a great tool.

I have to agree with MC that headphones don't do it justice at all, though. It sounds way better through proper monitoring speakers. HNAD and enjoy it!
Quote by PB26
Well I did it, ended up getting the Kemper. Why the hell not. But that's gonna be a lot of peanut butter sandwiches for me over the next who knows how long!

Okay, so now the next job is to dig into the manual and figure out how to get the best sounds out of it. If you're going to do just two or three of the most obvious sounds, you're not getting your money's worth. If you're willing to put in the work, there are a lot of great results to be had.
HNAD TS! From what I've heard and what others say, it is as close as you can come to the real deal without having the actual amp. Hopefully you can find some truly inspiring tones
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Thanks guys, I'm pumped to put this beast through the paces tomorrow!
Congrats!!

I don't believe "overkill" exists. The only criteria are A.) Can you afford it? and B.) Do you want it?

If the answer to both is "yes" (and it clearly was) then get what you want. Other peoples opinions aren't really material to the equation.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by PB26
.....would I notice $2000 worth of an improvement over my Mustang III V.2, which sounds really nice through phones?

After a day of testing, the answer is absolutely yes. What a unit! It even has a special setting for headphones that simulates the way an amp's sound naturally bounces off the wall before it hits your ears. The Germans think of everything!

The included presets, unlike other units I've used, really are incredible, and I noticed only a fraction of them are from Kemper. For instance, there are a bunch from Ola Englund that are stock on the unit's operating system, and they are ridiculously good! "M. Franzkowiak" has a killer "Sabbath" preset that Kemper includes stock with the OS as well. And I haven't even installed the PC-based editing software or browsed the other presets from the website yet.

Anyway, definitely a 10/10 from me. Pricey for a recreational player like myself, for sure, but it's a long-term investment. This really is a textbook 'you get what you pay for' experience for me.
that is entirely subjective. a kemper is top of the line stuff. really enough said.

is it worth it to you to own the best on the market? out of a handful of products, its the only thing that does what it does, and out of all modellers such as axe FX, a kemper still offers top notch performance and tone.

doubt you would be asking if you didnt have the cash to throw, thats a big part of the equation.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)