Please help, I am buying a guitar and i desire a gritty bluesy supro, airline sound in a newer guitar, are there any out there like that?

I am not a tech so please limit the comments about pickup swapping if you can

Thank you for reading.
What's your budget?

oth Jack White and Dan Auerbach play mainstream guitars like Teles (though usually modified in some way), and have a distinct taste for vintage guitars that didn't have a lot of cache, like Eastwood and Airline.

Airline and Eastwood are making guitars, so its possible to get not just the sound but the look as well.

In addition, brands like G&L, Reverend, Fret-King and Godin- and more besides- make guitars perfectly capable of nailing those retro tones.

However, more important to their sound than their taste in guitars is their choice in amplification & pedals. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue beyond a few fleeting glimpses of Fenders and other amps noted for their clean tone.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Anything into a Big Muff (White) or Black Cat Fuzz (Auerbach). The guitar itself doesn’t matter much. Both of those guys have a stable of guitars they use. And I doubt they’re using the stock pickups on those junky old guitars they like to show off.
Quote by mr.jensen
Please help, I am buying a guitar and i desire a gritty bluesy supro, airline sound in a newer guitar, are there any out there like that?

I am not a tech so please limit the comments about pickup swapping if you can

Thank you for reading.

Honestly, the main part of their tones are from the amps. Dan Auerbach could plug a Squier in to that triple amp setup and get his tone.

You need to go very vintage and cheap if you want the same guitars. They are a pain in the ass to find, but they aren't that expensive. If you're in the US you may have some luck.
Guitar kits usa...makes reso-glass guitars as a kit. Check them out. If you belong to the vault or even check out thirdman records there's a peddle sold on there although extremely expensive.
Theres a Rig Rundown on Auerbach on YouTube. Not sure how old it is but they said a fully stock Harmony Bobkat was his current favorite. I saw them years ago and he was using a Harmony Meteor (I think). I think, as far as guitar, a semihollow or hollowbody would make the grit and feedback a lil easier to get. Probably something with humbuckers too.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The guitar is less important than the rest of the rig. With a big fuzz, like a Big Muff Pi, and an overdriven American voiced amp (read: Fender/Fender Clone), you could get that sound from a Les Paul, Strat or Semi-Hollow. Depending on the album, there's so much distortion and effects in both of their sounds that the guitar is nearly irrelevant.

Though, I'd aim for something hollow (for the feedback) with a vibrato unit, like a Gretsch.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by luckotdraw
Guitar kits usa...makes reso-glass guitars as a kit. Check them out. If you belong to the vault or even check out thirdman records there's a peddle sold on there although extremely expensive.

The reso-glass kits look very nice, i have been looking at them for quite some time just haven't pulled the trigger on buying one yet. They are very cool though.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.