Been playing again for a month or maybe more. This is the first time I have really started playing since high school. Back then it seemed a lot easier to get the songs down. Now I am finding I am really having a hard time and it's getting frustrating. I really like to play but man I'm telling ya. It seems like I seem to make the same mistakes over and over again. Anyone got any advise?
I often feel defeated, but rarely is it because of my guitar abilities.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
truck through it. i've found even when i feel defeated but continually practice, i'm the only person who sees thinks i've been defeated.
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
Don't view defeat as lack of ability, but rather a chance to obtain said ability. If you're making the same mistakes over and over again, stop take a break analyze the why. Maybe you can't play a riff because your movement isn't economical enough, or maybe your finger can't hit the huge stretch, find the why of the mistake; then proceed to remedy it.
Do you ever feel defeated?

Frustration is just part of the process.
And there's more to come.
Keep pushin'.
"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat" - F. Scott Fitzgerald.

The only reason that is happening is that you´ve been out of the game for a while. Athletes that leave sports and then come back need a period to build themselves up again, cause you need to keep doing it to maintain whatever you have. Keep at it and you will get back to where you were.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sometimes, biggest thing with me is that I get bored of a song way before i finish learning it, which is why I don't really know as many songs as I used to, except stuff I made up randomly.

Still, it can be a stress reliever. Try some ambient playing or something to break into a new vibe, or just anything different.
You only ever feel defeated by the guitar if you view it as an enemy.

Learning to play is difficult and can be a struggle at times but there's no need to make it a battle.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by champ198
Been playing again for a month or maybe more. This is the first time I have really started playing since high school. Back then it seemed a lot easier to get the songs down. Now I am finding I am really having a hard time and it's getting frustrating. I really like to play but man I'm telling ya. It seems like I seem to make the same mistakes over and over again. Anyone got any advise?

It's called repetition - repeat a part obssessively until you don't make the mistake and then move on to the next part. You probably just have sloppy practice habits.
I went to a book store and asked the saleswoman, 'Where's the self-help section?' She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose...George Carlin.

Keep going, the reward of nailing the song is a far greater feeling then all screw ups. Maybe it would help if you shared the song your trying to learn? Not from me mind you I'm always in the defeat mode mind you I've only been playing a short while but for me the defeats are ammunition to go back and do it 100 percent. Good luck don't quit.
Everyone has that feeling once in a while I suppose. The thing is that if it frustrates you so much that you think about quitting the guitar playing, you should move on to a new thing and don't let it bother you. When you return in a couple of weeks/months to that thing you couldn't play you will find it much easier. You should always play what satisfies you or what you think the frustration is worth for.

And by the way if your not frustrated by your guitar playing once in a while, you are probably not moving forward in any way.

I had a 9 year gap between my first playing and the second time I started. I only remembered G, C and D chords because of Knocking on Heavens Door and that was it
And I have too admit that those barre chords I tried to learn were kin of demoralizing but that's all part of the journey. Have fun with it
Last edited by old shatterhand at Sep 7, 2014,
I feel defeated every day. Being almost 60 and being a beginner is a humbling experience. My fingers don't seem to be on speaking terms with my brain and just changing chords is harder than Chinese algebra for me. After taking lessons for over a year, I still can't play a single song from start to finish without a major screw up. But I keep practicing every day. The way I look at it is even if I never learn to play the guitar very well, I will have learned something.

I figure the guitar is really hard to learn because it's so beautiful when it's played correctly.
Keep it up otto. The feeling you'll have when you have a breakthrough will be better than sex and you'll be hooked. You can do it!
Quote by otto6457
I feel defeated every day. Being almost 60 and being a beginner is a humbling experience.

It's very commendable that you've picked up the guitar and in a year or two you will probably know some campfire songs to play so stick at it.

What do you guys play anyway, I'm just curious? Maybe I could recommend you a tune or two to have some fun with.
Quote by Sample246
Keep it up otto. The feeling you'll have when you have a breakthrough will be better than sex and you'll be hooked. You can do it!

I don't think you're having sex quite right
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Defeated?

No never in terms of being able to play something. In fact I know what I need to do to go in any direction I want and how.

If it is mistakes then it is a bad habit and the sensible advice is to practise the weak spots so the mistakes go away when the new habit replaces the bad one. I always play this one wrong. Corrrect it then! Practise it to death until you got it and feels natural to do.

Fingers to stiff?

Practise legato ex to a metronome. It will do wonders in benefits the more you do.

Like I am going through Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina and I am at ex 50 for the first time ever. I have had 20 years to get serious into that book and are finally doing it.

Now leading with a down stroke I have always done but leading with an upstroke? It has been a few months but it is finally starting to sit as natural doing with the time put into it. I still have to speed it up so I can do that too but it is going forward. It was a weak spot I was not used to play right or at all.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Sep 10, 2014,
Jools Holland once said 'When you play an instrument you do battle with it everyday, sometimes you win, sometimes it wins.'

If that applies to him then I'm sure it applies to us lesser mortals.
Quote by Mickab
Jools Holland once said 'When you play an instrument you do battle with it everyday, sometimes you win, sometimes it wins.'

If that applies to him then I'm sure it applies to us lesser mortals.

Maybe if Jools didn't see it as the enemy it would be easier to work with it
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There are certain things that can frustrate anybody, even Steve Vai once said "now true Blues stuff, I can't play that stuff". He probably could if he practiced it more, but what he means is that some certain complex blues rhythms are so out of his normal melodic style, that he finds it difficult to do.

I can shred some scales pretty fast if I want to, but even that said, I can still have a problem on a simple solo simply because I keep hitting a note slightly differently than I want to. And I may have to repeat it so many times to the point of wanting to vomit until I get it to sound like I need. Does not happen all that often, but there are times it can.

Not that it's out of rhythm or sounds wrong, it doesn't, it's just the technique isn't as perfect or correct as it should be (hence notes not ringing out exactly as I wish).

We all have weaknesses, does not really matter how advanced you are, almost everyone has some weakness.
Last edited by coderguy at Sep 12, 2014,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Maybe if Jools didn't see it as the enemy it would be easier to work with it

But then you can't gloat to yourself about beating the guitar when you finally nail that song you've been attempting to play for 6 months.