So I've been getting a lot into Wolfmother, Royal Blood, Dead Sara and some other bands that have that fuzzy, bassy, warm tone, and I can't quite achieve that sound I want with my current setup. I come kind of close but no cigar.

So I was thinking of getting a fuzz pedal, but I'm not too familiar with them so I would really appreciate some recommendations. Also if there are other effects/amps I could look into to get that sound I'm craving.

Currently I'm playing a Peavey 6505 through an Orange 4x12; and for an overdrive I've got an MXR GT-OD, I've also been experimenting with a friend's Metal Zone (I actually get some nifty tones with it, but not exactly what I'm looking for)
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Have a look at the Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina fuzz.

It's a clone of an old IC Big Muff with two upgrades: a Clean Blend knob that allows you to mix your clean signal with the fuzz signal (sometimes it's useful if you want more definition or if you want to add different OD/distortion flavours) and a Mid Boost knob to emphasize the mids (works great with solos, and you can get that sort of parked-wah tones with it).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Sep 5, 2014,
A fuzz pedal will help, but your amp has a tighter more modern sound. Maybe a Marshall/Orange type amp would help you get there better. The Laney AOR 50/100 or a Peavey VTM60/120 would be a great choice and they run $300 used.

For a fuzz pedal I like the Rawkworks Eliora
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Way huge swollen pickle, although I'd say the Deluxe big muff pi is worth a look.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Don't Go for a swollen pickle - I have one and they are extremely hard to get a decent sound out of it. Check out an effect called the Black Arts Toneworks 'Pharaoh' Fuzz, amazing pedal (Wolfmother/Sabbath in a box!). Failing that Andrew Stockdale used to use a Big Muff which is great for the Dimension and White unicorn riffs.
Quote by kurtfletcher
Don't Go for a swollen pickle - I have one and they are extremely hard to get a decent sound out of it. Check out an effect called the Black Arts Toneworks 'Pharaoh' Fuzz, amazing pedal (Wolfmother/Sabbath in a box!). Failing that Andrew Stockdale used to use a Big Muff which is great for the Dimension and White unicorn riffs.

Holy god that sounds amazing...

Quote by Robbgnarly
A fuzz pedal will help, but your amp has a tighter more modern sound. Maybe a Marshall/Orange type amp would help you get there better. The Laney AOR 50/100 or a Peavey VTM60/120 would be a great choice and they run $300 used.

For a fuzz pedal I like the Rawkworks Eliora

Yeah, I've actually been looking into getting an Orange for a while. Might just have to do it
i got the joyo ultimate ovtice/fuzz the other day and its pretty sweet. budget buy of course.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Check out the Zvexx Fuzzalo.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The Musket is a fantastic fuzz. I always say, if I wasn't so 100% happy with my Earthquaker Hoof and had to get something different, I'd get a Musket.

I want to chime in on this thread, but unfortunately I have no idea about the tones you want.

Got any links?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by poppameth
I settled on a Musket Fuzz after a lot of experimenting. It's pretty versatile for the sound I was looking for.

+1 on the musket fuzz

and this: Deus Ex Machina looks interesting.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The bass Big Muff series are nice muffs for getting a big low end. They’re the green Russian muff circuit that the boutique muffs use, with a clean blend (and other goodies in the deluxe) without the huge price tags of a boutique pedal.