Atm I've got a Ltd h-1000 I bought used with a pair of passive Ibanez INF1/INF2 pickups, they aren't a horrible set of p'ups but I was wondering how massive a difference it would make if i changed them out for a set of JB/59s... Is it worth shelling out $200 for a set, or would the difference be too marginal?
Why does an ESP have Ibanez pups? Regardles, the INF pups aren't great by any means. I've never had an Ibanez that I didn't end up swapping out the pups on very quickly. They always sounded muddy to me. The JB/59 would be great.
What type of tones are you after?

I'm guessing by your price there that you're not in the USA- what country are you in? That affects what's good value where you are.

Also what's your amp? That also affects how good of a tone you can get, if you have a starter pack amp then $200 would be better put towards a better amp, most likely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
What type of tones are you after?

This is pretty much it. Also, as long as you have a GOOD amp, you should get good, tones out of it. Pickups color the signal that goes into the amp.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
yeah the jb/59 set is a fairly versatile set that should give you at-worst-decent tones, assuming the rest of the gear is good (as you said). that being said if he wants something specific he may well be able to do better, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Not sure I care too much either way- either should work just fine (which is not to say you might not prefer one or other, of course... and the jazz might slightly have the edge for higher gain/shreddier soloing so if you have the JB because you're more into that type of music, what you're saying might actually make perfect sense ).

I don't have a guitar with JB/Jazz, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The JB/Jazz combo is a good one. Only reason I don't have that set in a guitar now is because I traded them for a set of P-Rails that I wanted to try.
The Jazz is easier to EQ in conjunction with the JB, IMO, and the middle position is great for cleans, which is why I think it's a better mix.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
^ that might well be true. i've tried the combo in guitars i've tried in shops but i don't remember much about it
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the help guys, it looks like buying pickups new is going to be too expensive since sites like musicians friend dont ship to australia...

I'll be on the lookout for any used ones though, thanks for the quick replies
might be worth seeing if there are any well-regarded australian pickups makers. might be a bit cheaper. or else go used, as you said.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 12ie
Thanks for the help guys, it looks like buying pickups new is going to be too expensive since sites like musicians friend dont ship to australia...

I'll be on the lookout for any used ones though, thanks for the quick replies

GFS is still a good value even in Oz. They might not be Duncan or Dimarzio, but they are better than 90% of the stock pickups in <$1000 new guitars

MF ships to Oz
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 10, 2014,