I recently got my first decent gear which is a fender standard strat and a fender champion 20 amp. I currently use them just in my apartment and I rarely get the volume knob above 4 one thing I noticed is I am able to hear fret buzz not matter how soft my attack is. I am just wondering if its something wrong with the set up or is it jus something that I can hear due to amp being played at low volumes?
Are you sure you're not hearing the strings and the amp because the volume is so low? If you don't hear it at higher volumes or with headphones on, don't worry about it.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
How bad a buzz are we talking? It could be any of/a combination of the following

Action is simply too low
Truss rod is too tight
Nut slot is cut too low
Frets aren't level
Fret buzz or rattle I hear occurs mainly from 5 th fret onwards. I have to pick really soft to make the buzz disappear. I can hear it through headphones sometimes too. It more of sounds like its coming from the guitar rather than the amp, what I mean is I cannot hear it that loud outta the amp but something loud enough to make me cringe.
Quote by sundar334
Fret buzz or rattle I hear occurs mainly from 5 th fret onwards. I have to pick really soft to make the buzz disappear. I can hear it through headphones sometimes too. It more of sounds like its coming from the guitar rather than the amp, what I mean is I cannot hear it that loud outta the amp but something loud enough to make me cringe.

Take it to a guitar tech. Sounds like either a bad set-up or a bad guitar. Like a previous poster said, it could be any combination of bridge too low/frets not level/nut too low/neck not straight.
I got in touch with a guitar tech. He said it was jus a case of action being low and he guitar required good set up and it should be fine.