Hey guys, I'm in need of some help.

When I sing operatic type stuff, I run into problems with holding notes. When I try to hold a note, I notice that instead of just maintaining a constant pitch like I want to have happen, it's like the airflow doesn't stay constant, so I end up having the pitch fluctuate. Since I primarily sing thrash metal, I don't really think that helps things. Then again, since the only time I really have to hold notes is when I have to do some kind of scream, I don't really get a whole lot of chances to practice it.

I feel like it's just something that goes away with practice, but it's just that it's kind of annoying. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Are you taking vocal lessons? Because, especially for opera type of stuff, it's best to have a vocal coach.
You're not breathing correctly.

I'm willing to bet that as your breathe out while singing these notes, your rib cage is shrinking. You need to learn to breathe while keeping your rib cage expanded.
Here's a fun exercise to help breath control.

Take a deep breath in, and try to let it out as a constant hiss. The trick is to keep the hiss at the same volume by pushing out air at a constant flow. Hiss for as long as you can, and then try again. Make sure you try it at a quiet hiss, and then louder hisses as well.
Quote by HotspurJr
You're not breathing correctly.

I'm willing to bet that as your breathe out while singing these notes, your rib cage is shrinking. You need to learn to breathe while keeping your rib cage expanded.

You bet correctly. Do you know any tips to learning this?

Quote by simperheve
Here's a fun exercise to help breath control.

Take a deep breath in, and try to let it out as a constant hiss. The trick is to keep the hiss at the same volume by pushing out air at a constant flow. Hiss for as long as you can, and then try again. Make sure you try it at a quiet hiss, and then louder hisses as well.

I will try this.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson